Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 35 rear brake drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Jun 3, 2015.

1. I have a option of buying a 35 banjo complete with brakes, wheels and driveshaft.
    One wheel is perfect the other is junk. No idea on condition yet but looking at the brake drums it looks complete.
    My question is can the original brake drums (has cooling rings) be used with hydraulic brake backing plate?
    Have spent the last few hours looking at posts on the Hamb and the Barn with really no better understanding if it's possible?

2. midroad

midroad

You need '37 or newer drums. Depends on what wheel you want to use. '35 drum is not wide enough.

3. I have looked at the parts and the drums appear like they would work; but never have actually put them together to confirm.
    Here is a link to a hamb post of Dennis Lacy's, where he states the '35 drums will work:

early Ford juice brake question

And a copy of Dick S's post on the barn, saying the same:

The 35 drum will work correctly. The only issue is with the wheel mounting. If you intend to use the stock 35 wires its a bolt on. If you intend to use aftermarket wheels or 40-48 style steel wheels, the wire wheel support nubs on the 35 drum must be ground off so the late model wheels fit flush to the hub. Most important is that the drums should not be turned more that .080 oversize

Would interesting to see someone confirm this and maybe post some pictures of the assembly.

4. The '35 drums have a inner support ring for the wire wheel hub thats too big to fit into the pilot hole of steel or late model wheels. Either run a spacer ring or try to cut it off in a lathe, but that may get into the bearing seat area.

Steve