Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dielectric grease usage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, May 28, 2015.

1. I'm getting ready to pull and clean the connections to my starter (SBC). Should I put a thin film of dielectric grease on the connections when I re-install them?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I do. I use it on every elec connection I make. I hate corrosion.

3. I agree with Alchemy here. I would buy a car from him, some of you guys not so much.

Something to think about that I learned when I was working in the HVAC industry, not all dielectric grease is created equal, that stuff at autozone in the little bags at the checkout is about useless. I have a tube of 3M in my tool box and I use the Brylcreem principle, "a little dab will do ya"

4. Thanks 'Beaner. Your advice is always welcomed and heeded.

5. Thanks for the kind words, actually the Iowan is smarter he just doesn't throw much out there. ;)

6. ...................I always pay attention to both of you.:)

lothianwilly71 and i.rant like this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would use a thick coat. I see you live in Maryland, not the worst place for corrosion but not the best either.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I agree with all of the above, sure not going to hurt anything to use it, and 'beaner is correct as always, its not all created equal, get good stuff.

9. Not always correct but I got guys like rusty to keep me on track. ;)

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It should be called livelectric grease.

lothiandon1940 and Jet96 like this.
  11. I worked with an old boiler guy once that called it Damned Electric Grease. Or DEG for short, or when we needed to be politically correct.

Andamo likes this.
  12. czuch az

czuch az

I have a big tube of it and apply it like its free.
    There is very little humidity here, 6% right now, and I get 1157 bulbs stuck and connections heat bonded all the time.
    Thats 6% humidity and 98 degrees F.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What about that mint green goop that Interstate Battery sells to coat terminals. Works for me, but I don't think it's grease. Just in case you don't also need your parts slippery? Gary

14. I used to use those little felt rings and automatic transmission fluid on battery terminals. I wonder of they still sell those little felt rings?

Blownfuel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Dielectric grease right up there with anitseeze. & peanut butter :rolleyes: Flux

bct and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just bought a can of it and I used it on the extension cord we use for our 220 welders. The connections were hard to pull apart, you had to stand on one part of it and pull up with both hands, but after putting the DG on it they come apart really easily now.

Don

17. .............They do "Beaner.

lothianwilly71 and 40fordtudor like this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The felt rings are still available.

19. My HHR panel has door poppers for the back doors and they were sticking. Put a very light coat of dielectric grease on the black rubber weatherstripping and they work properly again.Silicone spray works too but doesn't last very long

Attached Files:

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Great heads-up there, Rocky. I was hoping some folks would chime into this thread and suggest additional uses.

lothianwilly71 and i.rant like this.
  21. I tried to buy some at O'Reillys once. Clerk didn't know what I was talking about.

22. indyjps

indyjps

I use it on cars, and wiring.

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Been using it on my hotrod for 18 yrs with nothing but success. I buy mine from NAPA but that probably don't mean nothing............

24. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I use it on all my stuff. I use my pick up at the Bonneville Salt flats and it works great. I put on around 120 miles a day and in October go out in the dark and come back to the hotel in the dark. You really NEED lights. If you want to see dark; be out on the salt down about the 5 mile mark at night! A full moon out there is unbelievable!
    SAVE THE SALT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RidgeRunner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well, you have to know the year and model. ;)

I'm embarrassed to say I never use it. But I do use those red and green battery terminal rings. Not for their corrosion protection, so I know where the cables go, most of the time.

cool57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. millersgarage

millersgarage

like Frank's Red Hot sauce.... I put that shit on everything

Frankie47, mikhett, LWEL9226 and 2 others like this.
  27. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Permatex makes some in a squirt can like cheese wizz. Since I bought it in that form I use it alot more

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I use KOPR-SHIELD by Thomas&Betts Corp...Anti corrosion and conductor...I only use on high amp like battery cables, clamps, starter and on house wiring where multy strand and/or alum & copper connections...It conducts so its used as such..

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, I just looked at the can I have at the shop tonight, and it is the same Permatex one you speak of. Very easy to use and it stays put.

Don