Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb/manifold/ dist combo for chevy 4.3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1great40, May 25, 2015.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I have a OT 4.3 in my 40 Ford. I'm toying with hopping up the engine and don't want to try to hot rod the TBI.

I saw a guy out my way last summer that had a Model A with a carbureted 4.3 so I know it's been done. Who has suggestions on how to do it. Please don't tell me to put in a SBC. I have been scolded already.

2. squirrel

squirrel

mid 80s Astro vans had a Quadrajet, and HEI. they were computer controlled. but you can change the module in the HEI to make it work right, and use an older Qjet carb, on that intake.Or spend money on an aftermarket intake, carb, and distributor.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did the computer controlled HEI have centrifugal advance?

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

This is interesting!

6. aaggie

aaggie

I built one for a '37 Hudson project and used an Edelbrock manifold and carb with a proform HEI unit. It ran good and made about 200HP. The stock 4.3 is a great engine, I had one in a 2001 GMC pick up and put 300K miles on it with no issues.

7. oldolds

oldolds

The first year or 2 of Astro van had 4bbl. and large dist. 85-86

8. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I am working on a 4.3, but it is not running yet.
    I located a 6 cyl, HEI with vacuume advance, changed the module to a 4 pin unit.
    I made an adapter to to fit a Holey 4412 500cfm 2 bbl to the aluminum throttle body manifold.
    The manifold has lots of area and could be modified with a die grinder to take a 4 bbl with an adapter.

9. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

The factory Q jet manifold seems quite rare. I have only see two, on full size 1500 PU,s, and they were cast iron, although I was told an aluminum factory Q Jet unit was available.
    The Throttle body manifold is aluminum, soft and easy to modify.

10. drifters cc

drifters cc

Check out used boat parts. 4.3 still in use today and most all are 4 bbl carb with HEI. Boaters repower boats all the time or fail to winterize and crack the block or heads. Then they sell off these cracked motors dirt cheap.
    Called "Mercruser" but they are just Chevy motors.

11. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Volvo and Mercruser, both used the Chev 4.3 engine for I/O marine engines.
    Volvo used a 4 bl manifold and a Holley 4160 carb. It had a small distributor, without vacuum advance. Not sure if a HEI would fit.

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

There are non-computer controlled HEI's for the 4.3.
    Edelbrock makes a nice "carburetor" intake manifold.
    Both Edelbrock and Chevy have various cams available. I'd guess most of the cam grinders do also.
    GM has several different cylinder heads depending on the power you want.

Sometime back I had a 4.3 in my 67 Chevy II. That car was a lot of fun. I tested many different combinations of parts over the years on that car. Even put some hurt on some Chevy and Ford V-8's..!

Mike

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I was staring at the top of that manifold myself, wondering if I could open it up and add a plate to take a Q-jet or 2 GC or some small Holley 2 or 4 barrel. This is good information for sure.

I was on Jegs or Summit (I don't remember which) and was looking at the Edelbrock manifolds but there was a note with one of them saying it wouldn't accept an automotive carb.I was wondering what that meant. I do need to call them and ask.

14. stimpy

stimpy

Edlebrock makes both manifolds for the old style 4.3 ( #2111 ) and the vortec headed ones (#2114) ( have to know what year motor is and what type of heads due to head bolt pattern ) . they have many racing classes for them in roundy round and you can find them occassionally on e bay or craigslist . the manifold you were probably looking at was the aluminum replacement for the TBI motor (#3713) and the manifold will not accept a carb due to the bolt patern of the TBI units , it was purposely done like this to prevent people from changing over to a carb for emissions regs ..

15. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Hey, where do you get off in stating facts and clarifying the situation????

Thanks!

16. stimpy

stimpy

Ok fine , I'll be like the guy at autozone , Nope don't make it never did .... :confused::D:p

17. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I hope you knew I was yanking your chain Stimpy! That was a lot of helpful information !!

18. stimpy

stimpy

thats what the smileys are for ... no problem for helping , have to say a 4 bbl and headers on a 4.3 90 really wakes them up , you'll have some fun .

19. spooler41

spooler41

I'm using a 4.3 in my '27 Ford modified, it has a 4 barrel intake and a Chev V-8 dist.
    thats been converted to a 6 cylinder configuration . Jim Linder did the modification
    to a standard V-8 points distributor. He installed a 6 cyl. reluctor and full electronic
    guts, really a nice conversion and came fully tested for peak performance.
    Jim is a H.A.M.B.er and can be found at Bubba's Hot Rod Shop , at the Indy. speedway.
    He's a great guy to do business with.

............................. Jack