Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Back in the Family. . .after 51 years -37 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. sawzall

sawzall

I'd never chop that one.. just too nice as is..
    I really like the flattie swap.

2. I really dig the Kent K 38 with the chop. That is one bad ass ride.......

3. fryguy

fryguy

I don;t know Jeff. Not much to chop the Windshield on this car. Its the top that would be a pain in the ass. I wouldn't want a Carson top, I would want the original convertible top cut down.

4. fryguy

fryguy

Well finally have an update. After a 3 month fiasco with H&H i finally got a usable set of Navarro 59ab style heads to run on my 8Ba block. I am going to start another Tech thread that will show you want holes you need to drill and tap and block off to run 59AB style heads on an 8BA block.

Here is a shot of the Navarro head

[​IMG]

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

That center water outlet is just the ticket! I would have to vote chopping those top irons too.

6. fryguy

fryguy

I picked up a set of 37 Desoto Airflow Hoodsides a while back to use to create a set of new Hood sides for the Ford. I have an extra set of 37 hood sides that I am playing around with. Gonna remove the vents out of the Ford sides and make it solid sides. I am trying to come up with a style for the Desoto side ornaments. Top picture is more like a '37 Desoto hood side and the bottom is more like how te '36s were styled

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Congratulations!

It is beautiful!!!

For what it's worth, I like the arcing ornaments better...

8. DS1937

DS1937

That's a great story and a beautiful car. Can't believe what the odds were of getting that car back in the family, especially in the condition it's in. Good luck with it!

9. fryguy

fryguy

Been a while since I updated this thread. I had a bad experience with the Flatty I built for this car. I ended putting it in the car getting it ready for the premier of the Kustoms by the Sea in Wildwood at the race of gentleman. The motor ended up having a crack in one of the exhaust ports and was spewing water out the right bank. The crack was undetectable when it was magnafluxed. I ended up having to scramble to get the original 21 stud back in there. A few sleepless nights and the car was ready for the trip down to Wildwood. Had to replace a few wheel cylinders from sitting close to a year. I ended getting the car down the day before the show. I decided to go for the adventure and drive the 150 miles to Wildwood. A few minor roads issues with a sticky valve but we made it in one piece. It was a fantastic show and I am glad I rolled the dice.

Here is a pic of the 8ba motor that I built but ended up having a cracked block
    [​IMG]

Here is the original 21 stud flatty going back in once I realized I had a cracked block
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of me fixing a leaky radiator hose on the way down to Wildwood.

[​IMG]

Here is a great shot of my car next to the Kopper Kart truck in the inner circle of the show.

[​IMG]

Fryguy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Glad jse_IMG_2493.jpg you made it, Paul!

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It sure is a beauty ! A shame you had issues with that sweet flatty though :( .

12. fryguy

fryguy

Thanks for the cool pic Pete.

Allen, believe you me, I was in a very emotional state after putting all that time and money into that engine.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I can only imagine , brother !

14. I stumbled apon this thread looking for tire size ideas for my 40 vert. Thanks for the tire details earlier, the 6.00-16's look perfect on your car, I think that's where I'll end up too.
    Great story, best thread I've read in a long time.
    So what's the plan with this engine? Is it salvageable at all?

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

beautiful little 37--you are making it spot on

16. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

What a pretty car. Great family history too. You've done well by it.

17. fryguy

fryguy

Tom, thanks for the compliments. Actually there is a crack deep in one of the exhaust ports and it just can't be reached. I ended up scrapping that motor but I have a couple of other flattys I am choosing between. One is a 48 Truck block and the other is a 51 Merc runner. Liked to throw that Merc in there for the extra Oomph but the 59ab style is killer and would look just as cool. Still up in the air. I picked up an original Edelbrock slingshot that I am going to put on the 21 stud to give it a little extra. I also picked up an NOS Lucas distributor from Chris Swenson for a flathead that was a standard on the old Allards that ran the flatheads. Its adjustable for the initial timing so that will give me a little more to play with.