Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car things to do,see in Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firemansteve, May 5, 2015.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Danny is a top notch guy....he always makes time for visitors

2. Motorhead47

Motorhead47

The Heartland RodRun is a little 300 car, open car show on the 5th and 6th in Brownwood about 140 miles to the northwest of Austin. Come on up and enjoy some Texas hospitality....

3. Just in Brownwood this week on the job so not much HAMB time....good people there...and what's with the all the Texas haters...?.....that cold and snow shit is no fun either.....

4. DaveH_RRTX

DaveH_RRTX

Plenty to do in Austin, most of it is free;
    - Go to Top Notch drive in on Saturday night and checkout the local rods and muscle cars.
    - Go to the State Capital building and take the tour.
    - Go to Austin Speed Shop and see what's going on
    - Take a nice slow drive to Fredericksburg, TX and stay in a bed & breakfast, visit a vineyard, tour the museums, and check out the tourist shops
    - Visit the Bob Bullock museum in Austin for some Texas style culture
    - Go to Zilker park in the heart of Austin, walk or run the trail through Zilker that also goes alongside Lake Austin
    - Eat some Texas Bar B Q! Plenty of great BBQ places; Franklin's, Salt Lick, County Line to name three really good ones
    - Visit Georgetown, TX to see a great town square and restored Courthouse
    - Visit Round Rock, TX and go to main street, drink some Craft beer at The Brass Tap.
    - Tube down the Guadalupe river in New Braunfels or the Comal River in San Marcos
    - Go to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels for some wet and cool fun
    - Swim at historic and beautiful Barton Springs in Austin

Austin is surrounded by small towns that offer all kinds of attractions and things to do. I left plenty out. Have fun and enjoy Texas!

willbe likes this.
  5. BLAKE

BLAKE

DAVEH had the right idea... a few more thoughts:
    • June is not summer in Texas... August-September is summer in Texas
    • Try to at least hit Austin Speed Shop, Top Notch, Continental Club, C-Boy's, and Lucy's on South Congress... Top Notch 'Hot Rod Movie Night' is usually the first Sat of the month (June 6?).
    • I always take first-time visitors to the top of Mount Bonnell to see what Austin is really about - do that.
    • If you want a short venture west, head for a 'Texas Monthly' burger at Alamo Springs Cafe via Austin > Dripping Springs > Blanco > Sisterdale, then continue on into Fredricksburg after... nice drive.
    • Avoid I-35 when making your way north to Dallas... give yourself extra time... grab a map and wind your way via other routes as much as possible.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

While that may be true, you can still expect it to be hot. Average June temperatures in Texas run from 80-95 degrees F and if you are from a cooler place ( like this Canadian boy who suffers in the Texas summer heat :D ) you will find it hot.
    It may not be like the typical summer Texas furnace of endless days over 100 F but it is still hot.

7. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Temperatures in the 80-90F shouldn't be a problem as that's what we would have here in our summer months.
    In 2013 2 mates and I visited Death Valley in CA with temperatures ranging up to 120F and we survived, the late night at the Sour Dough Inn was a bit harder on us tho.

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Heat may be a big deal to some people, but I've been in Texas in summer and it was pretty normal for me. But then, I am from Australia.

Texas Webb and stillrunners like this.
  9. dang....good to hear them down under's....can hang....

10. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dick's Claasic Garage in San Marcos has a Tucker in their collection. I've never been but I'm guessing with a car like that, they have other good stuff.

Austin has tons of amazing restaurants.

San Antinio river walk is nice.

I'm around Dallas, so here's my scoop:

Hatfield Restorations is out east of Dallas in Canton and they always have a bunch of super high quality builds going on.

Bass Kustoms in Deep Ellum (Dallas) has a really sweet shop packed with all sorts of great stuff. Brian is a badass builder.

Might check out North Texas Customs in Wylie while you're in Dallas. Tyler the owner is on the Hamb, ntcustoms maybe?

The Bishop Arts area of Oak Cliff (Dallas) has some good food and shops. Lockharts BBQ there is pretty dang good.

Pecan Lodge BBQ in Deep Ellum (Dallas) is the best in DFW, but be prepared to stand in line for an hour or so.

If you want to see a rodeo and that type of Texas, go to the Fort Worth Stockyards on Friday or Sarurday. Lots going on with the rodeo, shops, food, Billy Bob's, etc.

We live SE of Dallas by Kaufman. If I can be of any further help, let me know!

willbe likes this.
  11. Motorhead47

Motorhead47

Thanks for the plug. I spent 22 years away, now I'm home.

12. Congress and 6th street are interesting as already said, head a short way down to south congress and check out the Continental club,cool bit of music history there.
    You'll love Austin I'm betting.

13. Lcats

Lcats
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for this thread..I'm new to Austin - been many places and now I have more to see.

14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I guess it's a good thing you are not in the north Texas area now because the past month as seen more rain then in a very long time.
    Enjoy the trip and have plenty of fun along the way.

Jimbo

15. 55styleliner

55styleliner

16. are y'all flying into the D/FW airport or Dallas Love Field ?

17. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Flying into Austin on the 5th June and flying out of Dallas on the 10th,we have already started our holiday and am up in Canada at the moment.
    Sounds like there is a lot to do and I don't think we're going to have enough time.

18. short on time,,,You sure dont want to waste any going to see Cadillac Ranch...ugly and boring..

TexasSpeed likes this.
  19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is in Amarillo, a good 6 hour drive from Dallas. There's not much else car-wise to check out in West Texas aside from Owens Salvage in Wellington, just north of 287.. That's worth the detour.

I can think of plenty great food in Amarillo that I miss and it's car-related because you have to drive there. ;)

Stick with Austin and Dallas.

Long story short.. The owner was accused of some crimes and some people wanted it removed simply because of who owned it. If you must know more, Google "Stanley Marsh III." We're not getting into that here, but I believe the latest word is it's staying.

20. DFW - Dallas or Love Field - Dallas.....would give you a car place- airplane collection - and BBQ joint with in a half mile of the Dallas Love Field airport if you had a little time to kill.

21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandera is a nice short drive out from austin 120 Mls ( the cowboy capital of the world) check out the hill country. Luckebach is another interesting little cowboy town to visit, Fredericksberg is getting a little touristy now though still worth a visit.
    Flat top bob in Wellington Texas has an awesome 60 acre wrecking yard. Also a great HAMB guy. He is 6hrs nth of Austin. A jaunt to kings ranch in or near Corpus Christi is a neat place to visit also , a couple of hrs sth of Austin.

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

23. I haven't spent any time in Austin since the late 70's/early 80's, drove thru on the interstate a number of times since. I'm sure it has changed dramatically in the past 35 years. But as I remember, Hippy Hollow was always a good time!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015