Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chrysler unit or uni body questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grimmfalcon138, May 20, 2015.

1. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Tried search and yielded no results. So this is my problem/question.
    I am welding in subframe connectors on my 62 valiant, once this is done do I still need the front inner wheelwells for structural support? Or can I cut them out with no worries of sagging on the front half of the car?
    I know from the factory the wheelwells are load bearing, but does the addition of the subframe connectors change this? Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

IMHO, you will still need something there, either the inner wheel housing, or a tube from front of rail going up and back to the firewall. There will still be a flex factor from the cowl forward.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. artful dodger

artful dodger

I would ask uscartool.com (us car tool) they made the subframe connectors for my 69 road runner...

4. 73RR

73RR

Sub frame connectors are designed to resist lateral movement that can 'stretch' one side of the body.
    You still need something structural to hold up the front end.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Yeeep ^^^^^

And no you cannot ask how I know. :oops:

6. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Thanks for the quick response guys, I guess I'll put the Sawzall away for the moment. No beaner, I would never ask how you know that. I'll just assume it's because you are really smart. ;)

7. 54vicky

54vicky

he can not answer right now he headed to the local haberdashery for a larger hat after your comment:D

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's how they did them to a 69 Valiant, I presume similar principles would apply to your earlier model.

9. take a look at some of the racers of the late 60's....Fred Hurst ran a big Hemi in a flip front end Cuda...