Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '56 Fairlane Gasser Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Human Wrench, Dec 15, 2014.

1. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Well, I went down to the shop and took some more pictures and you can see some of the writing on the car. Also here is a drawing of what I want it to look like P2200002.JPG P2200003.JPG P2200004.JPG P2200005.JPG P2200008.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Deuces and JUNK ROD like this.
  2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Still have the same color (Fiesta Red) 56 Victoria I drove to high school. Toured the Car Casper Auto Show in Louisville last night. Tri-5 Chevvies were everywhere - almost too many to count. And maybe 2 55-56 Fords. Nice work and a great plan. Following your thread closely.

3. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I'm running a 385 series stroker BBF in my coupe. FWIW, I found it difficult to find headers I liked to fit, but everyone and their brother has BBC headers is every shape and size. I'm running ported exhaust plate adapters from Charlie Evans to bolt BBC headers up and expand my options. Also, unless you already have a set plan, I'd highly recommend SCJ heads with appropriately notched pistons. I milled off the SCJ markings and painted them engine color. They flow outstanding for the price ($1,800 fully assembled) on BBF's. Mid 300's @ 28" intake out of the box unported. A solid flat tappet in the mid to upper 600's on lift @ 108-110* and mid 200's @ .050, 10.5:1 and hold on pal. Maybe I'm telling you stuff you already know. Just passing it along to a fellow BBF guy.

Thor1, 34toddster and ratrod40428 like this.
  4. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

5. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Always glad to get input, especially from Ford guys, for now we are concentrating on the body and trust me neither one of us would call ourselves great body men or expert engine builders. I'm 62 years old and grew up with guys that put compression in an engine, a big cam, headers and a 4barrel, cut out the fenderwells and went racing. Now I am trying to re-create what I remember from my youth and try to do a better job. I will have questions and always appreciate suggestions.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Well there is plenty of knowledge on here. Lot's of bullshit too so just be ready to filter that out.

customline3859 and Crown'd like this.
  7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Nice sheet metal work and real nice craftsmanship.
    Sweet project for sure.

Best of luck with it. Jimbo

8. boutlaw

boutlaw

Your 56 is just killer, and I especially like your engine choices, BBF or Hemi, course Im a bit prejudiced for
    the "Fords", but a Hemi will work just fine. I always wanted a 55/56 so Ill be following your build, Great
    work/progress so far.
    Keep after it.....
    BOutlaw

9. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Nice! I'll be watching this. :)

I like the 55-6 Fords, I have several.
    I've been thinking about starting a gasser style project this spring using my 52 Ford. Reading the Southeast Gassers Association's rules was most interesting.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found this thread and immediately subscribed. The '55-'56 Fords are among my favorites. I always enjoy watching threads like yours where major sheet metal work is done. (sheet metal work is my weak point).
    When I was a little kid in the '60s a friend had an older brother who drove a red '55 or '56. It had no front bumper, a cammed up Y block with tri-power and 4 speed. Whenever I heard him rumbling down the street I ran out just to watch the car go by. I'd love to build a gasser style car with a 427 side oiler or Cammer and toploader.
    As for your 429, it'll make plenty of power without much effort. What year is your engine? My avatar had a '70 .030 over 429 out of a T-Bird with a top loader 4 speed. With just a small cam, (around .509 lift or so), the 429 would really holler.

11. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

We are on hold for awhile but not giving up. (other responsibilities and commitments.)

12. I had a fresh one once actually only fresh for a little bit then I started driving it. LOL wish I still had it but the car needed to go so that I could do the puff the magic dragon thing. Anyway aside from recent foolery about bigger is better and all that crap they were righteous mills. ;)

O.W.
    My second legal car was a '55 Ranch Wagon a 272 3 speed car which ended up being a Thunderbird 312 3 speed car ( longish story) I ultimately totaled it and the drive train ended up in a '55 Victoria which ended up being my first door slammer. I have owned several mid fifties Fords over the years, a couple have eluded me about forever. One being a Crown Vic ( 5 or 6 would have been OK) and a '57 post car.

So tell me my 55 wagon was Forest Green what color is yours? Just for grins.

@The Human Wrench
    Waiting with bated breath man, hope you can get back to this soon.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here's a photoshop of your idea. Hope its close to what you have in mind.
    3. 56 Ford Gasser THR done.jpeg

34 5W Paul, Deuces, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  14. Mine is turquoise . original color.

15. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

ever get the floors put in? curious as to what you used

16. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Work has just resumed. Pictures to follow.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  17. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I'm mostly a Chevy and Mopar guy, but I have to say I love these Fords. Overshadowed by tri five bow ties. Maybe unfairly so.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great project!
    The hood scoop will be great. Yes, they were used on the Pontiac Super Duty's but Pontiac got them from Ford. Ford used them on the Big Job trucks starting around 1957 up through the mid to late 60's (the 53-56 Big Job Ford scoops were slightly different).

Bobby

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Kiwi Kev did a 55 Chevy . You could do something similar for the frame? This one had the original frame with leaf springs added and the A-Arms removed. 20160717_175031.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  21. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

You're really good at that! I'm setting up my own '55 project, and hope to enjoy it this summer. I wish I had better skills with the computer...what are you doing this with?

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Photoshop Elements 8. Kinda old but it does the trick.

23. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

here is my 57 ranchero will go tp paint in Feb

Attached Files:

24. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Back to work, finally. Rockers completed, floor braces in, will finish welding quarter panels next week then the body comes off. 100_4754.JPG 100_4755.JPG 100_4756.JPG

25. TurboRider

TurboRider

keep up the good work!

tomschev2 likes this.
  26. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Shoulder replacement surgery next Wednesday, haven't been able to really use my right arm for months, and looks like it will be a few more before I'm healed up so pretty much everything is on hold.

27. Back to work on the gasser?

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Now, I'm primarily a Chevrolet guy, who can really appreciate any 55-57 Ford, "done right". Looks like you're on the way to being, "done right". Went to high school (66-69) with a guy who ALWAYS had a 55-56 Crown Victoria, ALWAYS. First thing he'd do, is an I-Beam axle under the front, followed by a BBF and 4-speed. He'd build one, sell it, build another, sell it, then build another. Don't know how he always found the Crown Vic's; maybe it was just the time involved (late 60's). I have't even seen a 55-56 Crown Vic in years. I do have one suggestion, if I may; PLEASE, NO fake 12 spokes on the front. Cragar S/S all around would do it for me. Keep posting as time and your condition allows. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

The Human Wrench and AmishMike like this.
  29. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

The hiatus is just about over and work is about to begin again. When I started this I intended to build what I remembered from the 60s and still will. However, I have just about talked myself out of the straight axle. The current crop of "new age gassers" all use them along with the mandatory Moon tank whether it needs it or not. Around here most of the cars running in the gasser class weren't all that. Mostly street driven. It was my intention to add all the things I couldn't afford back then to this car, however I am now starting to think maybe less is more in this case. I have sourced the engine(428 P.I.), toploader 4 speed, 3rd member for a 9" (3.70:1 posi.) and some '66 Thunderbird buckets. (Oh, and Cragars it is, I have them on about everything I own.)

Jrs50, JUNK ROD, Thor1 and 3 others like this.