Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 NewYorker- SBC swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by NY Delux, May 19, 2015.

1. NY Delux

NY Delux

Anyone out there swapped a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker 331 Hemi for a 350 Chevy w/th350 trans ???

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I did on my '27 Hiboy...Almost. I had my 354 Chrysler with '37 LaSalle box set in just right...then removed the engine for rebuild.
    My nice extra 350 Chevy with 350 Turboglide was sitting so pretty with 3-jugger and Cal Custom covers...It would fit nicely, and I could drive the roadster.
    A sudden pang of sanity struck, and the idea was abandoned.
    Now, if it went the OTHER way....
    There was a guy hereabouts with a nice little late-'30s Plymouth Coupe...Looked in the engine bay and saw a SBC! If anything ever looked out of place...
    You get my drift...

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. raidmagic

raidmagic

Because for pennies on the dollar he can have a running and driving car.

4. 73RR

73RR

...yeah, not really.
    The 331 is in place and has all of the associated bits and pieces where they need to be. Even if the 331 needs a rebuild it will still be cheaper in the long run to keep it in order to avoid all of the modifications that any swap will entail, and there will be plenty.
    These cars just may be a bit more involved than swapping a Nailhead into your '54 shiverlay.

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

What kind of a bonehead would do that?

6. George

George

Since people put those things in everything I'm sure someone will post sooner or later. Be just another boring SBC power car...

aussie57wag and JeffB2 like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

listen to all the nay sayers. these guys are all way more cool than I will ever be.

8. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I swapped in a SBC/TH350 in my 61 olds instead of the 394/slim jim. No regrets!
    I use the money I saved for gas, and I'm cruising and having fun.
    Also SBC parts are a dime a dozen and available everywhere.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m just in the process of talking a buddy out of swapping a 350/350 in his 56 DeSoto Sportsman Coupe. His 330 Hemi needs a rebuild and he doesn´t realize he´ll spend more and lose more money than he would when he´d just rebuild the 330 Hemi... The stock rearend doesn´t have an emergency brake, that is attached to the trans in stock configuration. So he´ll have to swap rearends. Ok, different wheels, different bolt circle, different driveshaft, rebuilding a 350 and a TH 350 or 700,fabbing mounts and so on,it´ll cost a bunch, but the worst of all, he is ruining a perfectly good car that has survived unmolested for the last 60 years.... I suggestetd him to sell the desoto and get a tri five Chevy...they are great cars and come with a sbc from the factory...I just got a 55 and love the fact it´s a 235 I6

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have seen a SBC in most everything, whether it made any sense or not. if you do it to that beautiful Chrysler New Yorker then put a special hood lock on it that no one else can find. hope that you plan to keep it forever, because selling will be tough. of course you could always run with Plymouth/Dodge power.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I think someone is looking to cause trouble.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm a Chrysler fan but I can see doing this if the original engine is long gone. There are a few of those cars that have had the engine taken out and are for sale cheap.

The Chev engine and trans should fit easily since they are quite a bit smaller and lighter than the original. The Chrysler Hemi 331 is actually closer in size to a Chev big block.

Don't know anyone who has done this (for obvious reasons) but should not be much of a challenge for a good mechanic and fabricator.

You can take a center tap off a 12v battery to run the 6 volt electrics. Or get 2 6v Optimas and wire them in series for the engine, and take your six volts from the first battery.

Originally it was 6v+ ground and you are going to 12v- ground but the only thing that is polarity sensetive is the radio, and you can change the vibrator to fix that.

ffr1222k and zzford like this.
  13. NY Delux

NY Delux

Thanks for the feedback, positive and otherwise.....

I love my hemi, don't get me wrong, but with an estimate of nearly $4,000.00 for a hemi rebuild, I opted for a completely rebuilt 350 and trans for $1,500.00

I drive my car and we go to shows all over the place. Ever try to find a hemi water pump while stuck on the side of the road ? The only part store within 50 miles had one for a SBC though! 1954 NewYorker.JPG

zzford, Tim, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  14. George

George

Too bad it isn't a '55, long BBC W/P, with adaptor fits nicely, '54 is a bit more involved

15. welderup!

welderup!

The I6 in my 54 Windsor was long gone when i got it. 350 SBC is cheap and plentiful. Just finished dropping it in and it was ridiculously easy. If you have some SBC motor mounts and a welder its no sweat. Be happy to share any pics and tips i learned along the way if youd like. Not much to it. Gobs of room. Should start finishing it up this weekend get it ready to fire off.

[​IMG]

ffr1222k likes this.
  16. George

George

yup! Being a sheep & going SBC like everyone else is a cheap way to go. But cheap 318/360s can be had from old Vans & Pick Ups....

JeffB2 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he says...plenty of room......keep the hood shut.....ha ha ha

JeffB2 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say put it in there all nice and pretty and open the hood at every show to irritate the cuffs and pompadour crowdo_O

19. welderup!

welderup!

Certainly dont consider myself a sheep. Just a hot rodder. Doin what you can with what ya got right? Haha if i had it my way id gladly trade my 350 and help install it in exchange for that hemi for my 54 ;)

Im all for keeping rods traditional and cool, but on a 54 windsor 4 door im building just to beat the hell out of while i work on other stuff, im going cheap so i can put more money in my flatheads!

zzford likes this.
  20. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Wouldn't this be prettier? :D 1960-Chrysler-300F-413-Long-Ram-Dual-4-Barrel-375HP-Engine-_WPC-Museum_-2-F.jpg

21. town sedan

town sedan

NY Delux, what ever you do just don't slap all that cheap Chinese chromed tin on it that far too many small block Chevys wear. It's that cheap tin that really gives the belly button look to an engine bay.
    -Dave

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just put Hemi valve covers on it. half the people complaining wouldn't even notice.

ffr1222k likes this.
  23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^^Really!!! Tongue-in-cheek, I know...

My bud Teddy DeMello and I bracketed some Chrysler Firepower valve covers on his black '33 Tudor, ('53 Merc flatty) Ran the plug wires thru the holes to the plugs, and cruised thru John's drive in...
    Guys standing right alongside all said, "Wow...Chrysler engine!" and... "Big Hemi! Listen how smooth it runs...but these things go!"
    We laughed hard...
    My 354 Chrysler has Peter's aluminum front cover for Chevy water pump. 2 guys looked at it, said "How come you made the BBC look like a Hemi?"

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. town sedan

town sedan

49- your probably right. Really confuse them with some Olds covers. What I'm trying to say is show some creativity and pride, so you will want to open the hood. And, not just to piss old farts off.
    -Dave

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  25. wvenfield

wvenfield

IMO this part of the crowd could never tell the difference.

26. a moving car with a reliable powerplant is so booooring. I know every time I drive one of my stupid cars that is SBC powered I wind up wanting to just kill myself.

Jrs50, ffr1222k, BJR and 4 others like this.
  27. 73RR

73RR

...now this thread has become boooring.....

bobg1951chevy and town sedan like this.
  28. George

George

yeah, a 528 hemi would solve that...

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. Swapper

Swapper

Hey Welderup! Just joined the forum today because of this post actually. So everyone please forgive any noob mistakes I make posting. I have a 54 Windsor I'm in the process of chopping the top on and making a lead sled of sorts out of. I have an lt1 I'm looking to swap in and I would sure appreciate any advice/tips/pics - anything really. I was thinking I would need to fab a cradle but sounds like you were able to just use some sbc motor mounts? Hope you get the message and if anybody else out there has any advice (other than I'm a douche for putting a Chevy in a chrysler) I'm all ears. Thanks!