Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pete Eastwood built 29' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barillaro Speed Emporium, May 30, 2014.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some might consider the car "Pete's old car", but that is not all bad. I would feel privileged to own a ride built by the P-Wood. My wife had been on me to paint our '34 Ford 2-dr. Pete came to town to pickup an engine, and when I drove up he said that my sedan was finished as far as he was concerned. It was primered red oxide with lime green steelies. Well, she asked me who the Hell is P-Wood ? I told her he was an icon in Sou Cal who builds bitchin(California adjective) rides. That didn't have much of an effect on her at the time, but since then, she has realized what a talented guy Pete is, and I think she actually forgave him in late '99. Seriously, I'll take a P-Wood built car anytime.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FUNK is great.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all knew that sooner or later you would come to your senses and use the ONLY powerplant that counts. Now, let me buckle up in preparation for a bit of backlash.

4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say, Bud. Cross-steering completely eliminates bump-steer. With your drag link quite a bit shorter than the split bones, the arc of travel is different for each bar. According to Plane Geometry, the shorter bar should cause the steering to adjust as the car bounces up or down, thus bump-steer, especially when the connection is not spring-loaded as in '28-'34 Ford drag links.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pale paint should be zinc chromate; supposedly helps primer/paint adhere to aluminum. Am I getting too old to post on HAMB ?

6. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

The car is looking great, outstanding craftsmanship on the re-build. I like seeing an Eastwood car being re-built this close to home considering I`ve been a fan of his builds for as long as I can remember.
    Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing it done.

7. studebaker46

studebaker46

the fact that the car has history is a bonus. but someday when you are ready to send it to the next caretaker, you will have built a lot history yourself. you and your partners are true craftsmen. TOM

8. Thanks for the compliments on the project. My brother and I have both said the cars History is a cool story and it's great to be part of the next chapter. I am trying hard to stay true to the original builds foundation but also making it my own Hot Rod.

9. Hit it hard today. Getting the body dialed in.

Attached Files:

10. Anderson

Anderson

Missed this one. What an awesome build...so many '28/9's going together lately.

11. Thank You!

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Thanks for your continuing coverage on this project . You're definitely moving in a positive direction .

13. Thanks Phil, I wish the weekends were longer!

14. Decided to get the old 327 in the engine stand and start disassembly. Engine is standard bore and has what looks like original 11:1 pistons from what my chevy buddies tell me. Also checked and it has the large 2.02/ 1.60" valves. My buddy said that it appears to be a 1964 365hp 327.

Attached Files:

Tmmason10 likes this.
  15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I must say that I am witness to the fact that , that engine powered " a lot of burnouts in front of my shop" .

16. Hey Phil, this isn't the original engine that was in the car when Vince had it. Pete said he actually has that engine at his shop and it had like 180,000-200,000 miles on it. This engine came out of a friend of mines 34' sedan about 20 years ago.

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Last time that I looked ( at least 10 years ago ) it showed 80K plus .

18. The odometer says 80 something thousand on it.

19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have that same engine going in my 33 roadster. I received it from my college buddy who had it in his 62 Corvette for 30 years. Those engines are perfect for a vintage hot rod.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

YESIREE
    You always hear the (logical) people say that it costs more money to build a 327 than a 350,
    and if you've seen one small block you've seen them all, but Lynn is right on about those 327's, when they are dressed right there is no sweeter looking engine for early cars.
    They will also say that you can make a 350 look like a 327, true, but they never quite hit the mark, and for us older guys 327 just feels better when it rolls off the tongue.

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Of all of the SBC, and I have had almost every size they made, the 327 was one of my favorite engines, the only one that may top it was my DZ302.

22. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Great (re)build. Thanks so much for sharing it.

23. sota

sota

The work looks great Jim

24. Thanks Ed!

25. Getting the hood sides mounted for good after getting the body shimmed good. Been block sanding primer the last 3 nights, hats off to the professional painters that do this everyday. Anyone that questions how much good bodywork and paint costs never spent countless hours block sanding.

Attached Files:

timwhit likes this.
  26. The devil is in the details

Attached Files:

Tmmason10 likes this.
  27. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Fingers bleeding yet?

Body is looking great, I always hated sanding more than the rest of the job.
    Looking forward to seeing it done.

28. HA!
    Couple of workin'demons there.
    You guys get it done!

29. Got all the parts back from the plater last Friday. Made sure that the welds weren't ground when they rechromed the original Eastwood front hairpins and batwings.

Attached Files:

Tmmason10 likes this.