Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fastest hamb friendly street car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, May 17, 2015.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I looked in the search, couldn't find a topic on it. I'm wondering what the fastest street driven hamb friendly car on here is. I have a friend with an all
    Steel 55 chevy that he drives regularly and has a 10.4 time slip. I'm
    Thinking my street driven 32 should run in there somewhere, but without a slip I'm just talking. I know little mans model a ran in the low 10s and was street driven. Anyone else?

vintagedrags likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I was wondering about this today. My Chevy II ran 9.96 in Tulsa, and I've put almost 4000 miles on it in just under a year.

3. JimSibley

JimSibley

Is it a hamb style
    Car? Either way that is flat out movin!

4. DW drove his huffed Model A Coupe 700 miles (each way) to Mokan and back after running low tens at the HAMB Drags... and I know Squirrel's Chevy was fast... does that count?

There's a couple of others running strong tens that see street duty quite often.

Last edited: May 17, 2015

5. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that depends what you call "hamb style". It's built mostly to 1966 era, and the go fast parts all use old technology (point distributor, 1960s torque converter, stock stroke crank, old heads, etc).

i.rant and thirtytwo like this.
  6. JimSibley

JimSibley

Sounds amazing. 9.9 in a points char. That is cool!

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

8. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I think my '32 might be in the running. I'll have updated timeslips within a couple of weeks. Low 10's last year on blower alone first time with car at the drags. That's at a 7,000' DA at mile high Albuquerque Dragway. Mucho mas rapido currently. Street driven every weekend.
    [​IMG]

Butch M, loudbang, deto and 1 other person like this.
  9. The winner of the '14 YayHoo cup was a 12 second car. But there are 10 second daily drivers on the HAMB. flamedabone uses a 10 second A sedan for daily transportation.

Now when someone says street car to me that means that it is a car that one climbs in whenever and drives it. it should be a car for example that one could climb in on a moments notice and go coast to coast. Not a car that sometimes gets driven to the fair grounds or to the hot dog stand. So maybe for fastest street car we need to set some parameters. ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  10. LAUNCH @ 6600!.jpg Well...no way the fastest but I drive the snot out of it... UNBLOWN pumpgas 383 sbc...
    10.75@124 @3200 lbs.

11. HotRod31

HotRod31

I'm with beaner, big difference in a car that CAN be driven on the street and one that is a Street car. Can you get caught in rush hour traffic and not run hot ? A/C not required but in the south it sure is nice....

12. I would also say that both Jeffs & Josh's (flamedabone & Tudor's) cars would be in the running,they both drive their cars near & far,Races and drive back home. HRP

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  13. yup....I've been in Josh's car for a few long drives. Drive to track swap to slicks, beat the tar outta it, swap tires and head home. Now with a freshened motor...I'm guessing high 9's

WillyKJr likes this.
  14. I have a flathead, so I'll just catch up with you guys later.

15. Well there is a difference between fast and respectably fast. If I build a small block car that runs in the 11s and you swap your flatty into the same car and run 12s my small block car may be considered fast but not respectably fast, on the other hand your flatty would be respectably fast in the 12s.

With a light enough body we could build you a 12 second flatty that you could drive to the track and home again jigidy jig. Or to market to market . . . if you prefer.

Anything can be fast with a little work or ingenuity and a little work.

16. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Redline, that's quick for a na small block.
    Confident mine'll go mid 9's on 6psi (sans bottle) this year. Again, that's a mile high. NHRA says multiply by .9451 http://www.nhra.com/competition/altitude.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

na cars run about .6 slower here. blowers & turbos a little less but its all garbage air at nose bleed altitude.

I drive it summer Fridays to work in traffic but Albuquerque isn't a big town so commute is about 1/2 hour. If i'm DQ'ed I'll hapilly take the DQ.

The street vs race car argument is as old as the hills. IMHO, if it has tags, is insured, and you drive it on the street either hunting or work/errand now and again.... good enough. To each their own.

i.rant likes this.
  17. I used to have a car that I ran in a street legal class at the local track. They allowed slicks if they were less then 10" wide. I had tags on it legally but I did have to pay the safety inspector to pass my exhaust. But it was street legal (ish). I lived 10 minutes from the track (now closed or I still would) I would light it off and drive it to the track and if I didn't break it I would drive it home. It was a street legal car, so by your definition it was a street car. Sometimes we fool ourselves. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't DQ you because I am not making the rules here and the OP didn't make any. If you are good with your definition that's good enough for me. ;)

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. Can't forget Dennis Wile's street driven full-fendered 1932 Ford 3wd Coupe ... it runs mid-9s in the quarter.

Here's the famous video of Wile's Deuce wheelstanding at Irwindale (eighth mile track):

Unfortunately, Dennis crashed at the 2014 Antique Nats :( ... but has rebuilt the car :) ... checkout the Dennis Wile 32 Coupe - 3Window thread.

Hotrodmyk, crashfarmer and loudbang like this.
  19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I can't understand why he crashed????

20. You can build a fast streeter. I have known of a few and they actually got driven a lot. Driving a fast car a lot can get expensive to say the least but it can be done.

Nice coupe by the way.

21. Texting and driving. LOL :D

22. I've seen Dennis' car run - it is not only fast, but I reckon you could drive it anywhere!

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

That car of Dennis's is insane. Huge wheelies and all. Big ci small block on the frosty doing work.

24. Someone say huge wheelies?? 25 year old slicks! 002.JPG 25 year old slicks! 001.JPG

25. My Grandkids like it! HOTRODDESS! 005.JPG

Butch M and hendelec like this.
  26. i have a 31 chrysler coupe it runs in the nines. i do my thing on radir pie crust tires through the mufflers on pump gas. the car has a full leather interior and a stereo that can make your ears bleed. i put over 140 pounds of dynamat in the car so im not over heating driving around. the car weighs over 3200 lbs. its going on the dyno to get tuned at 20lbs of boost in a few weeks. it will be interesting to see how much faster it goes with the new tume and some real slicks.. squirells car is the real deal. i have seen the car run on drag week. anything that survive that week of torture is a street car for sure. and it looks the part of a old a/fx car.

27. Tony

Tony

I dig this thread...
    I'd love to add a time slip for my coupe but i cant keep a transmission in it long enough to get it to the track lol
    Some day i'll have the right box in it to see how it does.
    I'm with you Jim, mine should be in the mid tens as well in street trim, but i'm just talking too :)

Anyway, bump up for a cool thread.

Tony

28. JimSibley

JimSibley

Anymore with pics? Here's mine for what it's worth. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431999664.946674.jpg

29. I run a slipper clutch...works great!!!Saves trannys!!!