Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Buick "Pearl" a factory custom. My first chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like clean work and very nice proportions.

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The car looks very nice! I'd personally stay away from '56 1/4s and taillights... the '54 grille is a good idea. The car is so nice and round that fins won't jive with the rest of the design, in my opinion.

However, it is your car!

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  3. banditomerc

banditomerc

The aforementioned statement is very valid and should be heeded. ...

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering if we'll be able to see this project in the parking lot at the LA Roadster Show in June? Bob

5. chillin53riv

chillin53riv

great job on the chop, you guys are making it easier and easier for me to decide to chop my '53 super. Once I attack my fenders and headlights, I just may toy with this idea more.

6. I've got a little more metal work in on pearl I've almost got the a&ab pillar along with the door on the passenger side about complete as far as metal work. I also drove pearl to a local show about 15 miles the other day and it was amazing! She drove better than ever and man how free do ya feel with no windows lol ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429810862.806641.jpg
    It was a good friends first show for his club and I promised him I would be there so I made it happen! Had to do a little extra reinforcing so nothing moved and everything was great. I'll drive my car every step of the way no matter what as long as she can move and stop safely I'm driving damnit!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, the old put the goggles on and go trick. The Buick looks great with that chop.

8. Haha thanks man. I think more people took pics of my car then any other one there! I got a lot of confused looks haha

9. The car does look great in that photo. A split windshield under the aerial and don't give up on the a-la-58 rear roof vent. Very cool car.

10. Rocksetter you are indeed on the right track with this Buick and with your philosophy of as long as she's road worthy I'm driving her. Coming along great brotha and I look forward to seeing the end result.

11. I did my first chop on my '40 Ford Coupe in 1979. I had the top tacked back in place and was just sittin' in the car, enjoyin' an imaginary cruise (like yours) and my wife came out to the garage......she said my grin was as wide as the windshield.

Your chop is looking good. I want to see the windshield glass cut. How ya goin' to do it?

I have a '53 Studebaker that I am considering chopping. I've never done a curved glass top.

DSCN1099.JPG Cropped.JPG

12. layedout49

layedout49

Hell ya looks good , patiently waiting to see the outcome of this one so I can get ideas on how to cut mine up ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431763107.219663.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Pops was a Buick man, so this one definetly attracts my attention. IMHO...the green and white color scheme looks killer. Buick design staff spent countless hours getting this stuff "right" back in the day. Can only imagine, how cool the original interior looks. Perfect chop, layedout49 should copy it, exactly.
    JT

14. Thanks man she's getting there! Haven't had much time lately but I'll be back on it soon!

15. Never give up!!

16. Hell yeah man.. Good looking Buick.

17. Thank you. I want it everything to look like it came factory the way it sits! Minus it being laid on the ground haha

18. thecrazed(k)666

thecrazed(k)666

looking good ...any updates??

19. Hey guys it's been a while, I've been a busy bee with other project unfortantly but have made progress! I also picked up 55 Buick tail lights (looking for a bumper if somebody has one! Also still on the hunt for a 51-53 windshield, and a 54 Buick grille and front bumper! Here's some progress shots! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439314052.998053.jpg I will post more later! I also picked up another straight 8 with a dyna flow AND an bendstons adapter (brand new) and a th400 for 50$ on Craigslist list!! I decided to pull my motor out to do the Trans swap and I will go they the motor at the same time. I've also ordered manifold flanges and will be building my own intake and header. I'm insure of what carb set up or rear axle I'll be running, what do you guys think? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439314259.399057.jpg

20. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

So when looking for a windshield. ..2dr sedan olds 88s will swap. Also the hardtop/ converts will work with your chop they are just 2or3" shorter.

21. Awesome to know! I always wondered about the hard top and vert windshields but I couldn't ever get a solid answer thanks!

22. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439481342.491298.jpg
    So I got a wild hair up my ass to pull the body off last night. I wanna box the frame and re strengthen where I can. Keep in mind I'm trying to finish this cat before September 26 so I'm on a giant push. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439481620.583084.jpg
    Also I am thinking about ditching the 50 Chevy rear window and putting the three piece rear back in. I'm not huge on a tiny back window and I really want to keep it all Buick, thoughts?

23. Question: Why are you intent on boxing the frame? With leaving the straight 8 and changing to a later transmission and open-driveshaft rear, it seems that placing the front of the wishbone near the center of the X-member and coming up with, say, a triangluated upper control link system, you would be fine. That looks like a pretty stout frame system.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  24. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439511648.950374.jpg
    If u look closely this side of the frame rail was already tweaked from hitting speed bumps etc. so I had to weld those peices of tubing in temporarily just until I could get the car back in my shop so now I'm going to straighten it perfect then plate the mid sections and build some nice gussets top and bottom of the x member.

25. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439511812.763819.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439511844.162403.jpg got the frame cleaned up this afternoon, hope to get some work on it tonight. I'm going to do a compression test on the spare motor I have then do a tear down of each and see which is in better shape and go from there. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439511947.665116.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Im really enjoying this thread.
    Keep on it.
    1 random thought..
    When tearing down the stick engine, pull the pan and rear bearing cap to get the flywheel bolts out. Slide the flywheel out then take the bellhousing off. Its a strange setup.
    Might save you some fancy language and head scratching.

27. EBW

EBW

You did a great job keeping the Classic Buick lines. Look forward to your progress on this.

28. Haha! Good looking out I probably would have been going crazy had u not told me that! Thanks!

29. Thank you! That's my goal is to still keep that Buick look with class! Too many cars are over chopped or just slapped together these days!

30. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525685.467718.jpg t ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525705.974651.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525718.430850.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525730.603522.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525743.293535.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439525757.767348.jpg

So the rear Chevy back window was just killing me so I decided to go back to the stock 3 piece window! I think it looks killer! A lot more work especially to for the belt line moulding, but I think the look will be worth it! I'm loving the flow of the back window now! Please keep in mind this was just a mock up I haven't plumbed or squared anything yet. I almost cut the back corner windows in a different spot, but my dad suggested to cut where I did and i think it'll work perfectly! I also moved the rear window forward 4"

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    EBW likes this.