Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods $2000 for two Hemis sight unseen, good or bad deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, May 17, 2015.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

I've been helping fab32's widow to move some of his stuff. He has two Hemis, and a local guy with an old funny car wants them. He hasn't even seen them and doesn't even know what they are and offered $2K.

I ran the numbers, one is a '54 Dodge Red Ram 241. I know those aren't too desirable but it's a complete engine minus carb. The other is a complete long block with valve covers and it's a '56 Chrysler 354 Fire Power 280 HP unit. I know zero about Hemis and Mopars in general. Any help would sure be appreciated, thanks.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

Sight unseen can easily be a scam.

Lucky77 and Model T1 like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sight unseen offers aren't worth the paper they aren't written on. Running they are worth a good bit more. As described, the most you can get in cash is what they are worth.

It doesn't sound like he made a super lowball offer. What they are worth today in cash may be very different than what they might seem to be to some guy half way across the country that isn't going to pay to ship them or come get them.

Lucky77 likes this.
  4. Lucky77

Lucky77

The funny car guy is the friend of another guy who is buying some stuff from the estate. Funny car guy just left for some out of state business but left $2K cash with the guy who I'm selling stuff to right now. He said he can bring Funny car guy's money with him when he picks up his stuff. I know the red ram isn't worth much, just hate to let the pair go if $2K was a lowball offer?

Model T1 likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

I don't know her situation, but I try to help a widow here, and it's tough to be stuck in the middle. but....

I'd sell . She needs to clean up, and how many buyers would pay that much?

56don and Model T1 like this.
  6. If his money is good and green,,grab it....Neither engine is worth very much,,,I got a complete and running Red Ram here last summer for only $1000.00

loudbang and Lucky77 like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That sounds like a fair offer, not a lowball and not out of line, IMO If she wants it cleaned up soon, I would take it.

Hnstray and Lucky77 like this.
  8. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Fair and reasonable cash offer for sure.

Or you could try to sell them for what most hemi sellers think they should go for and sit on them for a long, long time until a potential buyer pops up.....

A bird in the hand.....well, you know.

loudbang, Hnstray and Lucky77 like this.
  9. Remember the old saying; A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.(oops, dragginGTO is a faster typer than me)
    You probably wouldn't get much more than that if you waited and tried to sell them for more. I would let them go and get on with liquidating other stuff.

Lucky77 likes this.
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If one was a 392, I'd say no, but that sounds like a fair offer for what they are.

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Exactly! Good point.

Lucky77 likes this.
  12. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I'm sure fab32 would approve of the deal, seeing his widow get her hands on some pretty decent cash without any further hassle.

It's not an easy thing for a widow to unload a long-time hot rodder's heavy iron collection for a fair price after he's gone.....

loudbang and Lucky77 like this.
  13. That's probably about market on those.

Lucky77 likes this.
  14. Lucky77

Lucky77

I hope so, it's weird being out in his shop without him. But you're right, he'd be happy with anything that made her life less stressful. I sure miss that old guy.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

For both Engines.. good deal.sell

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

These came off ebay and they were close 2 241s and one 270 for a $1000 and one 241 came with a rebuild kit. I know the 354 is worth more but the little Dodges are light and have the look for a T or A.

Lucky77 likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like a very good deal for both parties. Heavy iron isn't easy to sell in most cases. Bob

Lucky77 likes this.
  18. pitman

pitman

Seems I recall the 354 inch motor was popular w/several racers, incl. Garlits.
    2k is nothing to sneeze at.

Lucky77 likes this.
  19. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Two good things about this deal, number one being $2K in your hand and number two being a local sale.

Shipping these lumps is a big hassle, more than worth it to have them gone quick and easy. The sight-unseen buyer is obviously a man who doesn't hesitate to throw down the bones when a good deal is sitting right in his backyard.

If you don't move quickly you lose, just like in drag racing.

Lucky77 likes this.
  20. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey lucky I have a few hemis, all Chryslers. One I have cranked, a 331 Industrial, and a 354 complete
    that I have not cranked. Also a 331 marine. If your buddy needs some more hit me up I am tired of tripping over these motors. Hemis are not selling very well these days. Also a 392 race motor (fresh water boat) that I am planning
    to use, however I might let them all go. The 392 won't be cheap but the others are negotiable!

Lucky77 likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In general, most of the early hemi engines were attractive to racers, but those 354 heads were real popular for the 392's, had better port shape for a more direct path to the combustion chamber.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  22. $2000 for anything sight unseen in my book is not a good deal.

23. 5window

5window

Maybe, but it's the seller is seeing what he has. It's the buyer who's willing to put down the money sight unseen. If the consensus is that these motors are worth about $2k and the cash is good-how exactly is that not a good, or at least fair, deal?

24. 73RR

73RR

sell, sell, sell, sell......

25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like a fair deal to both parties, to me. Without checking those blocks for possible cracks , the bigger roll of the dice is on the buyer.

26. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

Think about how much time you could spend just to get $3-400 more out of it.

27. There is no funny car guy. The guy with the cash is interested in the hemis and knows what they are worth. Funny car guys don't use baby hemis, they use aluminum Donavan's ( or a reasonable facsimile there of) unless they are building modern Funnys then they use what ever block the NHRA mandates.

2K seen is probably a low ball offer and the guy doesn't want you to be suspicious.

Personally I would probably just take the money and pretend to be happy. But I hate selling stuff. If you want a good barometer for value cruise the class ads here or CL.

28. Theres 2 complete 354s that I know of locally that aren't moving at 600 a piece. And I believe they're worth more than the lil dodge.
    Sell

29. Nothing is selling now for some reason. At least not here locally. Maybe it depends on location.

I got some tricked out 392 heads here that I bought from a friend who was in a tight. They are less then perfect but wouldn't take much to be runners. I got 'em priced at what cores usually go for and not even a bite.

The baby Dodge is probably worth more then a grand but not the full 2K without hearing it run, and the Chrysler stuff usually goes real high. But nothing is moving. People usually are looking for a deal at estate sales. I know if I checked out today my stuff would either go real cheap or go in the dumpster.

30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, sell 'em.My initial investment in a pair of complete carb to pan 392's was $600. That was during a previous economic slump, and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.