Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wyke 32 Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, May 16, 2015.

1. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

I started another project a while back, The Wyke 32 sedan. the plan is a chopped sedan, slammed high boy. that is the basic idea, and a lot of little trick touches to make it stand apart.

here is the body as it came in, took the body apart and sent it out to be chem dipped. should be back in the next couple weeks

[​IMG]

while that is being done i started on the chassis. got the ASC rails set in the JIG. As in most stamped aftermarket rails there are some imperfections from the stamping process

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i heated hammered and dollied out the rought spots.

[​IMG]

then machined some body bolt blocks, and welded them in the chassis. after that i applied some weld through primer to the inside of the rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

decided to pinch the rails inward at the fire wall. wanting the rails to be same wide as the grill shell at the xmember and keep the front horns. also wanted to straighten the front horns. so i clamped on a heavy piece of angle, heated and shrank them to get it straight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all cleaned up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

made the front spreader bar, slightly curved it for a little style, also pie cut the top and bottom of the rail and tapered them to fit the 1.75 od tube for the spreader bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then moved around the rear. The customer and my self really liked the rear of the Steadfast 32 sedan so we borrowed a few ideas and changed them a little bit for our own taste

did the spreader bar to match the tank lines, made the matching lines on the bar go half way around the tube to make the bar stand out but blend in at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also decided to recess the bar into the tank similar to the Steadfast car. pushed the bar forward about 2.5 inches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then trimmed the rails, tapered the top back to match the tube, and metal finished back out. still need to work on the tank sheet metal but that is for another day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started working on the custom flat rear cross member as well

[​IMG]

2. Awesome work bro. Wish that was my car.

3. Yes,keep updates coming.Like the tank treatment.

4. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

That sure is some mighty fine work thanks for posting
    cheers hammered30

5. A Boner

A Boner

You should try using some JW Rod Garage deuce rails.....less fixing to do, Just saying.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. clem

clem

Neat thread/car. Neatest looking spreader bars that I've seen in a long long time.

7. brady1929

brady1929

Incredible work as always.

8. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Very nice detail.

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wow beautiful work. I love little touches like your curved spreader. Unless you really sit down and look or the owner tells you about it you would never know it was changed.

10. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I love the concept for the sedan. The Steadfast car set the bar for sedans but I can see you may go even higher. I will be following this one. On a side note, I am doing a lot of work on my 34 ASC rails. They are really not very straight and have lots of waves near the front.

12. I 'm liking the direction this is heading. Nice work.

13. 117harv

117harv

The word (slammed) should never be used on a traditional site.

Very nice work, will be watching. The tank and spreader bar, very interesting detail.

X38 likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Harv--
    I kinda have an issue with "bagged" too.
    Oh yea, really tired of BAD ASS also.
    Rant over.

15. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, looking forward to the updates!

16. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks for the kind words so far. i will keep the updates coming as it progresses.

i guess i should have used the word hammered, or super low instead of "slammed" for the term sensitive folks lol. no matter what you want to call it the stance will be on point

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  17. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Can't wait to see more on this build.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. AV8R

AV8R

love the rear bar!!! I saw it on the steadfast car too and was thinking about doing the same thing. I love the rear bar idea to reflect the pattern in the gas tank! What's the trick to making that look so nice? did you cut a piece out and tack it back in at a lower level? or shove a small pipe inside? what's the best way of cleaning up the weld after? sorry ...amateur questions, but I really like that detail. Thanks!
    Chris

19. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

been a busy few weeks. had a job come in that kind of took over the shop for a few weeks. now i am getting back on track.

got in a chassis engineering center section kit. did not like how plain it looked. so started cleaning it up and belled the oval holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

started cutting and fitting the boxing plates. the customer really likes the look of dimpled boxing plates but doesnt like the idea of stuff getting down in the rails. so i dimpled the plates, then cut and tig welded plates on the back of the dimples. so it has the look, but sealed up from the elements

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

test fitting up the center section to boxed rails

[​IMG]

more progress to come soon

20. clem

clem

21. The detail is amazing,I'm subscribed. HRP

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Top notch work as always! I'll definitely follow along.. Thanks for posting!

Malcolm

23. AV8R

AV8R

love the rear bar!!! I saw it on the steadfast car too and was thinking about doing the same thing. I love the rear bar idea to reflect the pattern in the gas tank! What's the trick to making that look so nice? did you cut a piece out and tack it back in at a lower level? or shove a small pipe inside? what's the best way of cleaning up the weld after? sorry ...amateur questions, but I really like that detail. Thanks!
    Chris

24. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

slid another piece of tube inside the spreader bar after cutting out the shape. then tig welded the seam. took a cartridge cone abrasive and sanded the top of the weld smooth

25. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Love your work. I like the dimple holes and had not thought of putting a sheet behind them. I think leaving them open would only lead to problems later on a street driven car.

26. Signed up for this ride......Great work and can't wait to see more of what you are going to do.
    I like your idea of backing up the openings in the rails to keep the "salt" out. I thought long and hard about airing out the boxing plates on my build, but passed due to thinking about all the salt that would be trapped inside the rails at Bonneville. DAM...I never gave it a thought to back it up like this.
    Very cool! Plus a nice look..

27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Your work on this one is amazing as usual. I love the boxing plate idea. You've got my attention, I've subscribed.

28. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

finally back on this one after traveling for the last month. made a front mount fixture to support the engine while i designed and made the motor mounts

[​IMG]

then made the mounts. hand made both the frame side and block side mounts. uses a standard biscuit style rubber cushion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then moved on to the trans mount. it is made from .250 mild steel

[​IMG]

and made a top plate to help tie together everything

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

adjusted the angle of the pedal assembly to work correctly

[​IMG]

the body and parts also came back from the chem dip shop

[​IMG]