Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TH 350 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrod1932, May 12, 2015.

1. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

I want to change the filter and pan gasket..Can I roll it on it's side to remove the pan without screwing anything up ? There again it's a turbo 350..and of course it's out of the car..I know it's a stupid question..Thanks Hotrod1932

porknbeaner likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. You can but last time I did it I scratched the door. LOL

Yes like squirrel said. It won't hurt it at all.

40fordtudor and i.rant like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you think it has a bunch of crap then I would not it will go up in the tranny.

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I set mine up on 3 jack stands and layed on the floor and changed it, as mentioned you don't want any goop in the bottom of the pan up in the rest of the tranny.

6. squirrel

squirrel

If there's enough loose crap in there that it would cause problems, then you're going to be rebuilding the transmission anyways.

btw I've never taken apart a "good used" th350 that didn't need something replaced inside.

7. elba

elba

Don't use a cork gasket. They squash and will leak. Use a black neoprene gasket without any sealer. Make sure pan is flat at bolt holes and torque to 13 ft. lbs. The original bolts work best.

8. You can't roll a 350TH on its side. They are the same as a freezer and all the freon will run to one side and get air pockets in it. Then it will not cool properly.

9. Huh?

10. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I bolt mine to an empty engine stand, Then you can sit on a stool and work on it, but I'm lazy.

pat59 likes this.
  11. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Thanks Guy's...Of all the good and of course the bad advice..Think I'll just roll the car on it's side with some mattress's to protect the paint and pull the pan...

Model T1 and 40fordtudor like this.
  12. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Thanks

13. wjd

wjd
    from bc canada

When checking automatic transmissions, it's always best to drop the pan with the trans in the normal installed position because, like panning for gold, the goodies are in the pan bottom. Some transmissions are not so good to read the tea leaves after dropping the pan, but a T350 is usually pretty good. Look in the filter/screen, too, depending on type. If you tilt the trans first, the evidence disappears. Of course, when the trans is out of the car it is tough to do a proper pan drop.

Follow the good advice on pan gaskets submitted earlier. When tightening the bolts, criss-cross at first, then 3 go times around for no leaks.

Dakota.za likes this.
  14. 69fury

69fury

I'd just stick it up on a couple of saw horses or similar rests if you don't have an engine stand handy- I wouldn't want the pan leavins to go up instead of staying put in the pan. -rick.

15. Model T1

Model T1

Durn all the good answers are used up.
    I don't think it's a good idea to turn anything on it's side to drain.

16. 'cept a beer :)