Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wiring 1940 ford ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my2nd40, May 10, 2015.

1. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I want to use the original column drop ignition switch in my 40 ford with a v8/msd distributor. I'm using an American auto wire panel. I've searched this to death, some say use relays others say the ford switch will hold up just fine. I'd really like to see someone's diagram of how they did this or a description . I'll be using the push button starter in the dash too. Thanks

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sent you a PM--I use relays-maybe can make a drawing and mail to you-done quite a few this way, One energizes the panel via the switch, the other energizes the starter via the starter button

3. tim troutman

tim troutman

I used a constant duty solenoid that looked like a ford starter solenoid used the column drop switch to turn it on

4. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Greetings
    I have a 32 with original switch.
    I talked to American auto wire and they advised using relays. They sent me a diagram, and it works.
    The weak link of the original switch I'm my view would be when initial contact is made under load, after that, the switch would be adequate.
    I am happy using relays.
    I also use start button, ford solenoid to power Chev starter.
    Jack

5. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Found this for a Painless Panel, early Ford switch, starter button.
    wiringdiagramswitch.jpg

6. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Good wiring diagram. Wish those wires coming out of the panel had a color code on them. I used a different panel and a relay instead of the ford solenoid.

7. There's at least one error in this diagram; the wire from the start button to the solenoid should be 12V+, not a connection to ground. So the start button needs a 12V+ in, and a switched 12V+ out....

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my2nd40--sent you some info--have done many 40's with the stock switch and starter button. Use a large relay and starter button closes relay by ground-let me know if you need more info

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What he said, I did the same to my 40 pickup, as mentioned, the drawing is wrong on the start button and as drawn you can't use the stock button as the stock button is a grounding switch. But relays work with grounds, just wire all the power points and run the ground to the start button.

10. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I think it is correct Steve, that's the way the early ford starter buttons were. They made the circuit with a ground to the dash when you pushed the button. They only had a connection on the back for the hot wire.

11. Maybe that's the way the switches are, but every solenoid I've ever seen uses a hot wire in for the coil and the ground side of the coil is made through the mounting bracket. If the pushbutton switch only has one wire connection, you'll need a relay wired like a horn relay to operate the solenoid.

12. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I used the one wire starter button and a relay, so I'm not an expert on the solenoid deal, but I'm pretty sure you would have to find a solenoid that's compatible with the one wire push button. I know there are 6V ones from the flathead suppliers, and probably 12 V too. You're right that the two wire solenoid won't work with a one wire button.

13. tim troutman

tim troutman

I used the stock starter button you cant use a late model ford solenoid which self grounding but you can use one for a winch it will have two post just like the ford one will be wired positive the other hooked to the button which will activate it

14. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I had a 1950 Baby Lincoln that was converted to 12v neg gnd. I used a standard starter solenoid like on a early Mustang. What I did was run a lead wire from the terminal that the battery connects to on the solenoid and attached it to the bracket to make it a positive ground. I had to use plastic nuts and bolts and washers to isolate it from the firewall. It worked great. I was able to run the one wire from the switch to the solenoid. I just bought a 41 Ford and I am planning on doing the same thing.

15. I used a 40 drop in my truck . I hooked the drop key switch to a relay , the switch broke the ground . The relay was the power to my cal custom ignition switch witch was also a start switch . It is like a light switch , pull out ig. Is on pull out , spring loaded , and it starts . You don't have to use this switch . Just have relay go to ig. And start button .