Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car things to do,see in Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firemansteve, May 5, 2015.

1. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

My wife and I will be holidaying in Texas next month,visiting from Australia.We fly into Austin on Friday the 5th June and fly out of Dallas on the 10th. I'm looking for some car related things to see, shows, workshops, museums any suggestions appreciated, and maybe something my wife might also enjoy.

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not much happens in Texas in the summer time. :D That's obvious from the lack of response to this thread.
    When I am there in the summer I do like the rest of the Texans do, stay in and hug the A/C unit.

Venturing too far out into the furnace is sure death. :D
    By the way do you know that it's hot ? :D

That bunch of junk cars buried in the dust is not at all impressive by the way.

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Anything on Rte. 66 is impressive, eh?

5. Bump for a useful info.
    Check Austin speed shop,Bass is in Dallas also Sache rod shop.If you have time try to visit Owens salvage.

6. pdq67

pdq67

Hey Blue,

Go kiss...

Imho, looking at the old Cadillac Ranch turned into almost a religious experience for me..

I got to thinking that it was dedicated to our AMERICAN CARS that allowed our Country to grow and become what it is... (And I'm not talking about all the social unrest BS either here!!)...

Word is out that it may be removed?? I hope not..

pdq67

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Take a chill pill :) I was for the most part joking. I have been there to see the Cadillac's several times and was underwhelmed. I just didn't think it was a big deal. I could think of better things to do with old Cadillac's.
    But that's just me.
    You like it, great for you.
    My wife is from Texas and we spend lots of time in the Dallas area visiting family, grandkids and all that.
    We are there for a month or more at a time usually.
    I like Texas, did I say it was HOT :D

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The government is going to have a little thing called "operation jade helm" during the summer, and the entire state of Texas will be considered "hostile". So, unless you want to experience martial law, I would avoid Texas.

TexasSpeed and olskoolrodder like this.
  9. ^^^^^^^^I resemble that remark:D

10. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Thanks for the info guys but our tickets are booked and paid for. Operation Jade Helm, Texas hostile, don't sound to friendly, and my wife wanted to go to Hawaii and I said I wanted to go to Texas, shes going to love that

40fordtudor and gwhite like this.
  11. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

Firemansteve, are you going to buy a grass skirt...get out there on the back roads and meet some locals...

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Don't be an idiot. Post your paranoid political nonsense somewhere else.

Lcats, willbe, shivasdad and 4 others like this.
  13. If you are going to be in Austin, just go down a little farther south to San Antonio and see The Alamo.

40fordtudor likes this.
  14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

It is only planned for 17 counties out of 254, so there will be plenty of Texas left to enjoy.

shivasdad likes this.
  15. 56shoebox

56shoebox

You could visit The Gas Monkey Garage from the tv reality show Fast & Loud. They are in Dallas.

16. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

my shop is in spring, texas down by houston. you're welcome to stop by.

17. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha...Big joke

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Doesn't he also own some sort of bar or something like that ? :D

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

20. Andy

Andy

Fredercksburg has the National Museum of the Pacific War. San Antonio has the Alamo and the River Walk. Dallas has a lot of fine western and art museums.

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Or not.

22. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

If in Witchita Falls area, Visit the local wreckin yards if they still exist...they were full of '30s-'60s cars when I was there.

23. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Gruene hall, and the New Braunfuls area are pretty car friendly if i remember.....

24. belair

belair

Come to the Hill Country. It's the general Austin area, day trips would keep you close. Tube on the Guadalupe, see the Alamo and San Antonio, there's lots do and see. And I think Aussies know a thing or two about heat. Please stay on the correct side of the road. :). I nearly killed myself driving in the Virgin Islands.

25. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. San Marcos between Austin & San Antonia has a great little car museum but I cannot find the link right now. You don't hear us who live down here in Texas complaining about the heat at all. Highs this last week have been in the low 80's. If that is too hot I guess you need to try Alaska.
    In Austin check with the Austin Speed shop for many nearby events that are happening while you are there.
    Really there is lots of stuff to do all thru central Texas while you are here. Small local car shows happening every weekend this time of year.
    You just missed the huge Pate swap meet sponsored by the 16 AACA Texas chapters held at the Texas Motor Speedway last week. Sold over 8,000 vendor spots this year. Also sold 340 spots in the car corral for antique & vintage cars for sale.
    look for all the many positive stuff to see here & forget about the negatives as that can be found anywhere you go. Just have a good time & enjoy.
    Welcome to Texas.
    Jimmie

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Firemansteve, you should take your wife to San Antonio, particularly the River Walk area. It's only 80 miles from Austin and well worth the drive as others have said. Be sure and have a late-night Margarita at The Esquire Bar after eating here; http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.php

27. Hot Rod 50

Hot Rod 50

Cadillac ranch will be a 10 hour drive from Austin. 7 from Dallas. Go to the salt lick for Bbq and Juan in a million for breakfast. Get there early. Austin is a neat town, check out the Bat bridge and 6th street. Also there's lots of cool places just down from the Capitol building. Also worth a look. Don't worry about the jade helm thing. Our Kick ass govt abbot has the Feds under watch with the Texas national guard. Don't mess with Texas obama.you Aussies shouldn't mind the heat. It's a little humid that far south though. Enjoy. I love texas. Been here all my life.

TexasSpeed and 40fordtudor like this.
  28. seatex

seatex

"Dick's Classic Car Garage" in San Marcos...........................google motortexas.com for cen tex events............

29. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, keep them coming, will have to sit down and work out a plan to fit in as much as we can.

40fordtudor likes this.
  30. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I second the Hill Country but I suggest a little further west. If you are up for a ride, check out the "3 Sisters". Very nice between Utopia, Leakey, Campwood.