Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help I.Ding these spindle mount wheels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratty_aussie, May 3, 2015.

1. First of all I tried posting this on the hokey ass board but it didn't let me, hope this is ok here?

Just swapped my 12 spokes to suit anglia for these. I was told they suit early ford spindles. Anyone know what brand they are or how do you tell the difference between magnesium and aluminium? Unfortunately they've been painted black and silver.
    Thanks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430693627.398284.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430693640.091604.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430693654.032394.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430693667.721722.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. F&J

F&J

Mag tends to turn black or very dark gray when exposed to weather.

Alum tends to get lighter color corrosion

ratty_aussie likes this.
  3. This bit kind of looks black right? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430694200.147071.jpg
    Only bit not ruined by paint.

4. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

americans---mag only--looks like ford bearings

5. Really don't like the terrible paint in them but don't want to sand blast them either so they look new. Lucky they used crap paint.

Magnesium you think?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430708120.612120.jpg

6. If there is someone in your area that does soda blasting or blasts using crushed walnut shells, that should remove the paint without hurting the mags. Make them look like new too.

Short of soda blasting, chemical stripping would work, as long as the chemical used doesn't react with magnesium.

7. earlymopar

earlymopar

Those are magnesium and were likely painted because of the ongoing oxidization problem. I would not sand blast them as that will open the surface skin and will enlarge any existing porosity. Bead-blasting would be better (smaller grit and less pressure).

- EM

8. Yeah cool, paint striper it is :)

9. hemiphil

hemiphil
    from australia

look like bassett wheels, made in Adelaide, 1970's, no longer made, were made of aluminium, not magnesium, I knew the guy that made them.

Spoggie likes this.
  10. A little acid like muriatic/vinegar will fizz on mag and not on aluminum.

11. Do you have any pics? They are pretty black now I'm stripping the paint off. Never seen aluminium do that.

12. What's muriatic? Do you put it on with vinegar or both work the same for the rest?

13. Muriatic acid is commonly known as "pool acid". Either that or vinegar works.

Just put a couple drops of either on the inside of the rim, but clean it off once done. If it fizzes/reacts, they are mag. If it doesnt, its aluminum. From the pics, they sure look mag.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  14. earlymopar

earlymopar

15. 97

Careful, paint stripper is usually alkali/caustic and will corrode alloys, both magnesium and aluminum. It will not stop eating it even if you wash it off, you need to neutralize it with a weak acid wash ( citric or vinegar) after rinsing in lots of water, and rinse in clean water again afterwards, and dry thoroughly.
    The dark color you see after putting caustic on aluminum is called smut, it should wash off with the acid.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  16. Thanks for the tip. I washed and dried them throughly.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430738057.196379.jpg

Can't tell me there still aluminium anymore.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  17. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430769397.610564.jpg

18. Do the vinegar test. I've had aluminum parts darken like that after exposure to various -pH cleaners & paint strippers.

19. Throw them in a Fire - If they melt they are Aluminum , if they burn the brightest white you've ever seen they are MAG. ;)

20. Yep. I got some aluminum rocker covers that everyone swears are magnesium. I cleaned the with eagle brand mag wheel cleaner (some sort of acid) then got in a hurry and doused them with lemon pledge and fired the engine off, turned them a nice old magnesium color. You got to get all the acid off and let engine parts cure overnight before you get them hot. :eek: :D

Some wheels are made with an aluminum alloy that will turn gray almost like magnesium but will not pass the vinegar test.

gwhite likes this.
  21. rooman

rooman

Phil,
    did Bassett make any for early Ford spindles ?--I thought that all of his were for Anglia.

Roo

22. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

db_100_41511.jpg they are the same as mine color and all details ---unless bassett used the americans molds

23. Yea, if the alloy has a good magnesium content.

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Since Aluminum is roughly 1 1/2 times the weight of magnesium, I would think you could tell simply by the feel or actual weight judging from the diameter, width and mass of these wheels.

lurker mick likes this.
  25. Is that the same basset that makes roundy round wheels?

Wouldn't you need something to make a comparison?