Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

I'm going to have a beer and bid you good health on a job well done.
    When you come down from cloud nine I would guess another list will be made .
    What was your times.
    You done it

Dog_Patch likes this.
  2. My little tony lives!
    Congrats bro......looks and sounds awesome

Dog_Patch and allwilly like this.
  3. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy Tim and I saw your elimination run. His comment was "got all 4 gears that time, that's a successful first outing". I agree. Having followed your build, I know how hard you and your friends worked to make this happen. Great job!

See you at Steel!!

vic

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. Video made me giggle like a school girl! Car sounds badass. Hope you slept in this morning.

Dog_Patch and Tyresmoke like this.
  5. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

You did GREAT!!! That smile will be on your face for a week!!! Way to go man!
    I only saw first round and had to take off--
    What happened to Tyler? I got parts if he needs to get ready for SIM--let me know.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  6. Congratulations T! I'm proud of ya brother, proud to be a member of the band of idiots that helped get you down the track. Bummed I've got to wait until the Meltdown Drags to see you run in person.

Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

How many club members are going to the Meltdown drags?

8. I think the better 3/4, or maybe 7/8 of the club. That probably don't help ya....I'd guess 12 or so

II FUNNY likes this.
  9. I tip a BEER to all you guys making , and doing this!! CHEERS! Its my birthday too .

Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I've been enjoying this thread for a long time now and I'm glad that things went well for you this weekend. I'm just sad that I live so far away and couldn't be there.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Saturday was great!!!!!!!!!!!!! My son and I where glad to see you there. It seemed like each pass you did better and better, and since I've been following since early on I was impressed with the whole build and first outing for sure.

It's pretty obvious the veterans in the class have everything well sorted out and will be unbeatable for a while. But the fact they are helping the newcomers like you is an inspiring display of sportsmanship something that I was beginning to think was extinct.

Hope to see more Events this year.

Dog_Patch, Tyresmoke and enloe like this.
  12. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Not to hack up Tony's thread but I seem to be on a mission to try everything that doesn't work first.

So far I've got:
    DON'T ever race without a wheelie bar.
    DON'T leave in high gear, ever.
    DON'T let alcohol sit up in the cylinders for awhile.
    DO use loctite on the 3 bolts holding the drive spud for the fuel pump onto the camshaft.

Dog_Patch and stealthcruiser like this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I totally agree

Tyresmoke and Redram18 like this.
  14. flamin-408

flamin-408

Tony was great seeing you and wife at Greer. The old car is coming together and looking good. Takes a lot of time for sure but atleast you are having fun and built it yourself. The fun to me is leting others see what i have built and ask questions. Do it your way and enjoy it. Fun getting to line up beside you and hear that old Hemi roar.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. Woohoo ! Thanks for all the awesome comments - that was one fine weekend. So many things could have gone wrong cutting it that close to the wire o_O but man it turned out great. The only goofy thing was that boat pedal gas pedal it made for a real odd feel. I told Quain it felt like a squirrly UPS truck and he said "Mind if I drive it?" I jumped in the passenger seat - off we went - he was bitching about the gas pedal and steering box was a little loose - brakes need bled. Let's hit it and see how it launches :cool: Holy shit! More schooling on a lightning 1-2-3 shift and I was reaching for a chicken bar :eek:. He says feels fine to me :) you need to see what it does on the big end when you get off that gas - it's fine. Man wish I had the Gopro :(

Sorry about all that Tyler - we need to do a 2 week thrash to get you to Steel In Motion now. I got a new list but its short. What do you need? ;) Looks like 1 rod cap and some sealer for the pan ? Can't tell but if you need a main cap Johnny has a ton.

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

tylercrawford, enloe and II FUNNY like this.
  16. Great day! Gotcha some good runs down the track, just what you needed. First race....IN THE BOOKS. That's an accomplishment man, no major problems. That's doin' your homework dude. Hats off to Quain for givin' that injector setup the once over, that baby ran great! Don't think you'll meet a nicer fella. Take a short break n' tip one up....then git out there and give it a good goin' over. Stay on it man!

loudbang, enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Great job!!! It's good to see all the help work on the car not just come drink all the beer.
    Hope to see you at the Meltdown.

stealthcruiser and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Anymore filmed runs and what was the Et?

19. Way to go Tony! First outing is always the roughest, what kind of ETs/MPH did ya get out of her on the inaugural outing?

Tyresmoke likes this.
  20. Dave I'm not sure if anyone on here has any filmed runs. Kim can't work a camera too well - I don't what she was doing but we got 50 mini films of like 2 seconds lots were of her feet o_O.

I can't recall the times exactly - was just trying to see if it would stay in lane at the top end. Seems like 60 foot was 1.60 and like 7.70 and 80 something MPH. The shifter needs brought back - 3rd is out of reach with the belt tight. The line lock is too so that button needs moved to the handle. I think the clutch pedal is too long - 11 inches and it makes the clutch on/off real short. Should be easy fixes.

21. MAN! YOUR NUTS! GIVING SONNY BUR A HANDICAP START LIKE THAT! THAT CHEVYS GOT A 632 IN IT MAN!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  22. Refining the car will be even more enjoyable. How does she handle on the other end, braking etc.

23. Feels decent on the big end - a little floaty - not sure if that's the slicks or if I need to close up the trunk floor ? It doesn't have a floor and might be catching air ?

24. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Tony
    Boot floor may be acting like a parachute.
    torque steer seemed to be fightings the wheel at the start and gear selection your lifting your back off the seat when changing gear . minor adjustments
    Great first run

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tony Don't forget about the Ackerman angle I talked to you about at the shop that is some of the driving problem. And I' sure you tightened that front spring at the axle. the air is not a big problem yet but might be when you really stand on it.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

found this on YouTube

27. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Great showing Tony. Congrats on getting it there all in less then a year. Rock on to you, Kim and the the help you had. You guys all ROCK!!! I can't wait to see it run at SIM, get that list done and things will be that much better!!!! Faster and Faster.

See ya soon and enjoy the ride!!!

Dog_Patch and Tyresmoke like this.
  28. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Check out the video from 7:00-7:35 to see Quick & Dirty in action.

29. Thanks Quain - let me see if I can fix that without re-doing a lot of stuff - maybe can put the brake caliper on the front.

Skull Garage guys rock! Better get the wheelie bars done LOL !

qd_first lift.jpg

Mac30, Tudor, GAOldsman and 1 other person like this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

If Quain will allow it, make a run without trunk lid, and you'll know if it's a parachute or not. It was a problem back in the '70s on the sportsman oval track cars. They had no floor behind the rear firewall, which started right behind the driver's seat and sloped up to base of rear window opening.
    This slope served as a sort of internal wing to put more downforce on the rear, but at the same time, the underneath side tended to suck air up into open at bottom trunk area. some guys took to running without trunk lid, but I needed the income from the sponsor whose name, etc. was on the trunk lid, so I used a 4" punch to cut holes in the vert part of the trunk lid, as the lettering was on the horizontal surface to be visible to folks in grandstand.
    On another subject, anybody else having a problem with your subscription to this thread "dropping out"?

tylercrawford likes this.