Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Car

Car
    from the desert

Thanks for the great pics. Inspirational!

2. Hey it's only been 5 years, what's your hurry ? :cool::D

3. farmer12

farmer12

Update: The taillights are now in place after some measuring, cutting and welding. I've positioned them slightly more outward in order get a better look/balance in the rear fender.

The only thing left now to attend is the hood, and then, finally, it will be time for the final phase.
    IMG_2236.jpg IMG_2238.jpg

Plung, mgtstumpy, Hogman and 2 others like this.
  4. farmer12

farmer12

5. well done, Eric!

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That position for the tail lights looks better,nice work!

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you gentlemen! More next week!

8. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

getter done

9. farmer12

farmer12

Sounds like something I've been saying to myself for a while now! Haha.

10. loudbang

loudbang

And you forgot the hard part..... bolting on all that chrome trim without scratching any paint. :rolleyes:

11. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

now you can be saying it to the body guys lol

12. thinkfink

thinkfink

wow!...
    ...and wow again!
    Looking great. Can't wait to see it in color.

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Colour can't come quick enough Eric, it's looking very nice !!!

14. 4rod

4rod

Hey farmer
    Really really great job. Honestly, the time an energy you've spent on this project is inspiring. Now I'll see if I can explain the following bit. As you know putting our projects on a forum such as this allows for pro's and con's with the myriad of responses given. That said. I only express my two cents as intuition. I'll come right out and say it. I'm not sold on the tail lights. Yea ya. We all have our grips about other projects we see at shows our buddies yards. However, I've gotta say. It just doesn't fit this amazing project. Tear drops are cul. However there's so much movement with your car and bulging culness tear drops don't seem to fit. That said and believe me I wasn't sure if post this but I've followed you for awhile and feel we could be buddies. Alright.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Hnstray and farmer12 like this.
  15. Ralph

Ralph

I think they look good!
    [​IMG]

16. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

It's looking killer

17. What about the treatment where the tail lights are molded into the bumper guards?

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  18. 4rod

4rod

Yeah their cul but don't fit the proportions of the car. Especially without a bumper. The ass end is so dominant the little light and their shape don't break up or add to it. Again just my two cents

Hnstray likes this.
  19. 1959apache

1959apache

nice work Eric, I still want to hear that engine run in the car!!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the comments 4rod! And this is why I really like the Hamb. Everyone can comment on a project, good or bad, inspirational or not. Nor will I ever get offended by people who don't agree with something I do. I'll try to explain why I'm sticking with the taillights.....

I've always liked them. Are they used often? Yes. Probably due to availabilty and good looks. I've moved them further down so that the roundness of the rear fender (when looking side on) is not disturbed. They only become visible from behind, and not in the side on profile. Furthermore, I haven't seen any other taillight that I like. Most are too bulky or just too ugly. A drenched light could offer a solution, but it's not the look I'm after. I feel that the tear drops also fit the flow of the car and are part of a look that I like. And yes, like you said, there is a lot of movement with the car and I feel they complement the car without causing a distraction.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't get the feeling that I require to defend myself, it's just an explanation of my choice. It would be too easy to say "it's my build and I'm building it the way I want too." I did read your comments a few times, considered it and want to thank you for your thoughts. Eric.

Hogman and Peanut 1959 like this.
  21. farmer12

farmer12

Another update. The original taillight holes are smooth again and Paulo has been very busy sanding the body with 280 grit. That is now almost done. The only things left on the list are the hood and grill. I know it's been a (very) long time coming, but the end is near!
    IMG_2271.jpg IMG_2272.jpg

Plung, mgtstumpy and Hogman like this.
  22. farmer12

farmer12

23. farmer12

farmer12

24. 4rod

4rod

Farmer
    Thanks for the response and explanation. Although I'm not kicking myself for posting my thoughts, it turns out the conversation could have been one over a beer in the shop. Something did come up while reading your answer. I thought hey, farmer has been thinking and looking at this light issue or some time. I only got it in a picture. That said what I stated was a quick response to something you may even have lost sleep over. I know in my own builds some things take along time to hash out. But nasayers don't get involved in that process. I usually say, it will grow on you or it won't. I was right about posting you my thought... Not only are you a artist, you have the maturity to respond in other words than "it's my build etc... I respect you even more. As well as the light choice and placement is "growing on me." Keep it up.
    Devan

Hogman, Hnstray and wheelnutmarc like this.
  25. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

First, my hat goes off to youre bodyguys eric, there doing an amazing job!
    important thing is to take the neccesary steps and not rush it, just to have it painted.
    I've read the comments on the taillights and i can understand there view on them being used pretty often (which is always a thing for me as well) i do agree they are a very good choice.
    I have looked at some other ''less'' used with a similair shape like a 39 plymouth or hudson super six taillight, but they lack the flow.. the rest are as eric said ''bulky'' mostly square shaped
    Also, i have noticed throughout this build that eric has had a vision for this car from day one, and in order to realize this he has made some very good and well thoughtout decisions that i can't hardly disagree :)
    I have no doubt this will be a stunning ride!!

Hogman likes this.
  26. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Devan and Perry for your comments and thoughts. It is certainly appreciated!

Update: After cleaning up the holes of the powder coated bumper brackets, it was time to mount them. Then it was time to finally unwrap the chromed bumper! I had of course had a quick look when I got it back last year, but this was the first time I'd seen it completely unwrapped. Only a very slight adjustment to the panel was required and everything mounted perfectly. So all the hours of work and test fitting are paying off!

27. farmer12

farmer12

28. farmer12

farmer12