Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lever action shocks 33 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fnjunk, May 1, 2015.

1. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Hi guys I'm lowering my 33 coupe and I don't want to change spring perches from stock style or drill the I beam so think I will have to use lever action shocks?
    Where is the best place to buy these?
    Or is there another way I can mount telescopic style shockers?
    Thanks Fnjunk

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

P&J makes a kit to mount tube shock keeping your stock perch pins. The upper mount bolts to the fender brace holes and the lower mount goes on the bottom of the perch pin. You can also weld a bung on the axle for the shock or order a Magnum with the boss already installed. I have also used the lever shocks like in the photo below. They came on foreign cars and were cheap.
    IMG_3810.jpg
    I presume this is what you are speaking of. They look early style to me.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. How about some rebuilt '33's?

4. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks Pewsplace will check out P&J s
    Timwhit I'm in Australia no one here rebuilds them and I only have one atm.

5. Check with Cully....as he is down under and I bet he could help you out with a route to go.
    He goes by7 Cully33 here

6. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks 383deuce yes Cully has helped me out quite a few times before will shoot him a message.
    Cheers

7. FN: As nice and original your 3 window is, I'd look around and find the stock shocks. There are companies that offer them rebuilt. You may have to ship them in from the US but your car is so nice it's worth the expense. Tim

8. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

o/t option that are cheap if you find them at a you pull junk yard are mg from a mgb shocks. rebuildable and can have adjustable valving

Attached Files:

9. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks mate I'm heading that way.
    Just surfing the web to see who stocks them?
    $$$$$$$$

10. evintho

evintho

Pewsplace,
    Those would be perfect in my T roadster! Any idea what make and year those lever action shocks came off of?

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I used to pull them off MG's in the 70's. Armstrong was one brand I remember. See Lucky 13 post above.

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Houdaille lever shocks used on Fords and other cars are adjustable by the thin square adjuster with a small tang in the middle of the shaft, that rotates 180 degrees, soft to hard, if it isn't jammed or already broken off.

Those import shocks are Armstrong and usually rear only if I remember correctly as most of the fronts also acted as the upper suspension arm on MGA and B, Austin Healy Sprites and 100's and 100-6 sixes.

A few midget race cars used the Armstrongs in lieu of the Houdaille.\

The Houdailles are a common item on e-bay, most used but some new or rebuilt and in boxes. I bought two new rears for a Studebaker Champion for $70/pr. about 8 years ago. They had a flat bar stock arm that made it easy to modify for my use rather than the forged arms on the Fords of various lengths and styles.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  13. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Try 5 points classic shocks in Santa Ana Ca.
    Have had some done,They do nice work