Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1954 Chevrolet Hardtop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Merge, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Merge

Merge

Yeah, definitely is helping to soften the crown in that area. Still needs some more but next is to weld the window frame a little more. I want to get it strong enough to try the glass and gasket in. Then I can be sure the stainless on the window is going to work with the stainless on the beltline. If all is a go, I'll be making sail panels.

2. deto

deto

looking good!

3. Merge

Merge

They say chrome won't get you home, but I couldn't help myself and a new one piece bumper found its way onto the 54! 20150327_160335.jpg

CHUCK50DODGE likes this.
  4. Merge

Merge

20150417_161643.jpg Got some progress made on the 54 today. All panels are just tacked on to check the flow. Added some spray paint to further check the blend of the panels. Still some massaging to be done, but pretty happy with the look. Next step will be to cut the existing roof so I can butt weld the new panels in.
    20150417_161652.jpg 20150417_161634.jpg 20150417_161622.jpg els in.

hacknwhack, vwdave30 and wvenfield like this.
  5. junkmonger

junkmonger

I like it! Especially the idea of putting most of the seams under the chrome, so you don't have as much hammer and dolly work. Just be careful you don't warp the metal edges (around the back window) from too much heat, since there won't be much metal there. If you do, you'll never get it to seal. (Ask me how I know). Looks like the new panel is mostly bent in just one direction, so you don't have any major compound curves. Cool.

Merge likes this.
  6. Merge

Merge

Yeah, that beltline works nice for mating the new sail panel to the body. I did the same with the bottom edge of the donor window frame. It is welded to the middle of the beltline.

7. Merge

Merge

20150419_170952.jpg 20150419_170834.jpg Just got a bit of time to play with some spray bomb. I think the final color will indeed be white. Hope to get a long weekend soon and strip the entire roof and final weld everything.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  8. myold88

myold88
    from ct

Looks soooooo good !

Merge likes this.
  9. cretin

cretin

On a couple of chops we have done at the shop with wing windows like that, we have cut them, and made little brackets to bolt the wing window frame back together. Granted they were both mild chops. I'll try to remember to take a photo for you in case it helps you out.

Merge likes this.
  10. Tony724

Tony724
    from Pa.

Thats looks awesome!!! Very well done. If I had the nerve I would chop mine. I even bought a very expensive Mig, but still cannot take the chance. Nice skills!

Merge likes this.
  11. junkmonger

junkmonger

I have some white pearl you can use on it. I'll probably never use it, and it's just enough for a top.

Merge likes this.
  12. Nice job!

Merge likes this.
  13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Looking great!

Merge likes this.
  14. kenmo

kenmo

Awesome Chevy....one of my favorite years for Chevs...

Merge likes this.
  15. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Good Job!! makes me want to chop mine!!!

Merge likes this.
  16. Car is looking great, really like the lines, good job.

Merge likes this.
  17. JennSeay32

JennSeay32

It's looking great! Did you go with large or small lee tail lights? And where did you buy that bumper from? What did it run you?

Merge likes this.
  18. Merge

Merge

Sounds like a plan!!

19. Merge

Merge

20. Chop looks good. I can't wait to see it in its finished glory.

Merge likes this.
  21. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Damn, you got me really wanting to start mine. Guess I better start saving for new glass!

Merge likes this.
  22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Good job, Its hard to believe no one makes a one piece window kit for these cars.
    Looking good
    Godspeed
    MrC.

Merge likes this.
  23. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I like 54's... but I LOVE chopped 54's! Keep up the Great Work! :)

Merge likes this.
  24. Merge

Merge

Played with spray bomb again, this time an ivory gloss top. I'm liking it way better than straight white. What do you all think about the interior color? I originally thought bright white but now am leaning on ivory as well.

Attached Files:

Rex Stallion and vwdave30 like this.
  25. Merge

Merge

Thoughts on a red interior? I love the look of black cars with red interiors but wondering if that's too late of a look than what I think belongs in my car. Although, I can only imagine the looks of a white interior after a couple months of my little ones trotting across the seats! Maybe an ivory interior that would match the top and quarter strip wouldn't show the dirt as much?

26. Torchie

Torchie

My 2 cents. The ivory or white interior is indeed traditional but I bet that there were lots of customs that didn't make the mags that had red or even black interiors as well. I am thinking about a deep red for my custom interior as I am painting it Ford Washington blue. Nice to see something a little different than the usual color combos.
    Your car is looking great.
    Torchie

Merge likes this.
  27. brons130

brons130

I have a 54 hardtop chopped and I'm trying to get the vent windows cut down. Have you done yours yet? If so do you have any pics of how it went?

28. viperchief

viperchief
    from Adel Iowa

I own a 53 Chevy Belair 210 and I plan to change the rear window also. I was able to get my hands on the back half off a 51 Pontiac in very solid condition. I will cut the current window out and replace with the Pontiac window roof. But I am thinking about using as much of the roof with the window frame as possible. Thusly not having to make part of the roof. Well that's the plan. I will find out once things start to go together. You chop came out very nice, good work.

Attached Files: