Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford VIN info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Apr 28, 2015.

1. What do you guys do when you can't read the VIN on the frame rail? Do you use a tag of some sort? THX

2. oldolds

oldolds

Oh boy, here we go. You know how these guys around here are on this issue. My personal thoughts are if you can read some of the numbers on the frame then a tag is nice for somebody to easily read, ie inspection mechanic. It isn't a legal number for the police or ins. company after the accident unless your state issued it.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Can't read either set of numbers?

4. alchemy

alchemy

That nice coupe you bought? I find it hard to believe you can't find the numbers on that. If we can find the original numbers on a half rusted frame in Iowa, you should be able to scrape them up on a California car.

Also check the top front edge of the transmission. Pull the floorboard tranny hump and check those.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Early V-8 Ford frames at least through 39 had the frame #'s in 3 locations. Not sure on the 40.

Wet sand with #600 and do a tracing to see if you can't visibly read it.

Short of that you can do an acid etch like is done to reveal serial #'s from firearms that have had their #'s sanded off.

Lastly, would be a VIN verification by AAA (preferably) or CHP. After that is (gasp!) DMV referee..

Attached Files:

6. Look into raising the numbers with acid. Ask the DMV or PD for advice. You do know that there are two other places the numbers appear under the body? See http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm for serial number locations. FORGET the tag, it will just create problems. If you can't get the frame number to be readable, have the DMV assign a number.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Here in GA, if you can convincibly prove it ain't stolen, or they have no report of a similar car stolen, you can get an assigned number from the state. I did that on BGII, which is a Brookville body and frame.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stamped mine deeper so I could read them through the new paint. The correct stamps to restore the original stamping are available. I borrowed them from a friend; so I don't know where you buy them.

9. So far i only know to look on the upper frame rail on driver's side. Is there another place? THX

10. As I mentioned in Post #6, See http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm for serial number locations. Note that you cannot see the other two locations without lifting the body. If you still have the original transmission the number is stamped on the bell housing. The DMV doesn't generally use this number but you might convince them to use the number to "fill in" some of the frame numbers that are difficult to read.

Charlie Stephens

bobwop likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Did you not read my post #4?

12. I somehow missed it. But I'll assume it's not the orig trans

13. alchemy

alchemy

If the number matches the title it is the original. Ford sent engines and transmissions down their lines, and stamped a number on the trans when they came together. Then later, when the engine/trans dropped into a frame, that number was then transferred onto the frame in three places as well. The trans should have a number like *18-______* on it.

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

3 sets of numbers on the frame? Thought there were only 2

15. Unless the vehicle started life with a 60 hp engine then the serial number will start with "*54".

Charlie Stephens

16. If I wanted a tag how would it be worded on ebay for me to search? THX

17. oldolds

oldolds

18. Help me out. What is a tag? To some people that means a license plate such as would be used for YOM registration. I am sure you are not looking for a phony “VIN” plate as that might end you up in jail and/or your car confiscated. On top of that a 1940 Ford didn’t use a VIN plate, the serial number was stamped into the frame. What is the tag you are looking for?

Charlie Stephens

bobwop likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh boy, we've got another one.

Exactly what documentation do you have that you could present to CHP when you are asked to prove that you own this car?

ALL of those tags are incorrect for your car. This is a known practice by CHP.

If you get a well-trained officer, you could be looking at having your car impounded, while they verify the veracity of the documentation.

When THEY find the serial numbers, you'd better hope that they match.

bobwop likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

All DMVs in all states know where the correct serial numbers (later called VINs) are supposed to be located. If they see a "tag" that isn't supposed to be there, they may impound your vehicle, and/or arrest you for fraud.

21. I don't know why some of you are getting so excited. I'm not covering or defacing anything. I'm simply adding a 4th and more visible VIN, and if someone wants to see the original let them sand thru 5 crappy layers of paint in an inconvenient spot to reach

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

IS IT TOO EARLY FOR THE BUNNY WITH THE TWO PANCAKES?

AFNG

23. Well, all the negativity has been very motivational. I scraped and found the #'s. What a small mess. Thanks guys

24. belair

belair

^^^^LOL. Negativity rules. Glad you found your answer.

gimpyshotrods and Groucho like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forwarned is fore-armed.

26. oldolds

oldolds

Groucho. I tried to tell you this was going to happen. Suprised it took too long. I understand California might be different then here in Pennsylvania, but I doubt most police have the time to just pull you over to check out your numbers. I have done the same thing as you are doing here. When I asked the locals they said as long as there were numbers that were correct somewhere on the car, adding easy to read numbers was ok. If a dispute of ownership happened it would be up to me to show the right numbers. How often that happens out on the west coast I don't know. I personally have never had somebody call the police and say I stole their car.

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

X2

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California is not Pennsyltucky or Georgia. CHP and the DMV do not fool around.