Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ANZAC, the true greats.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DocWatson, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Deu55

Deu55

We will remember them....

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

My great grandfather was a lighthorsemen in the first world war with Australia he was only one off eleven Greeks fighting for Australia in that war . For Australia that was historic. He adopted Australia as his home and fought hard for them he returned to Australia to be honored by the king of England. He died of the effects of mustard gas from the war in 1947. He is a true Aussie hero. Thanks doc this thread is great. At the going down of the sun we will remember them.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

The complete Laurence Binyon poem, from which the RSL ODE is taken.

For The Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
    England mourns for her dead across the sea.
    Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
    Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow,
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
    They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the inner-most heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the Night.

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
    As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

LEST WE FORGET.

4. greenblood

greenblood

Nice thread, keep it going, respectively important

5. jimbo121

jimbo121

Thanks Doc. We have our dawn parade tomorrow. Will have extra meaning for us this year as we lost 2 men in service recently, also CHCH has lost our traditional location in the Cathedral Sq due to the quakes. Will be an emotion charged time for many.
    WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
    LEST WE FORGET

6. I second Rick's thought...

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this is not a great time to bring this upin light of what has happened in the US. But I found out yesterday that I lost a mate that I served with.
    He deserves a lot off recognition and thanks, he was on his third Afghanistan deployment.

SGT Brett Wood MG.
    (Medal for Gallantry)

I don't know much about what happened apart from hearing he was killed in an IED incident. I was sitting in the doctors waiting room when it was announced on the news, I learned off the news the fucking news.
    He was a great section commander and I bet a fantastic platoon Sergeant since his promotion and above all a mate.
    When will all this shit end?

Rest easy mate.

Doc.

8. Sorry to hear about your friend, Doc.

9. Condolences Doc .

10. This weekend, we honour our ANZAC history once again. Each year it seems to be growing bigger, with much more energy, and respect for how our two countries joined together in a time of need, and died together, fighting an honourable foe.

Here's something I found parked IP a side street in my little town

ANZAC day, 2015.
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET.

IMG_20150425_115619.jpg IMG_20150425_115644.jpg IMG_20150426_001003.JPG

26 T Ford RPU and norms30a like this.
  11. belair

belair

As the old song says, "Bless Them All".

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Doc.Thanks for an outstanding thread.To all who have served,to those who are now serving and to those who will serve in the future.God bless you all.
    Leo

Hatchet likes this.
  13. 35desoto

35desoto

As the years go by I learn more about the sacrifices made. My Dad is 88 and missed the war call up by two months, He was destined to go to University but was needed to join the Railways as a tradesman to replace the guys sent to Eygpt to run the trains in support of the allies at Tobruk etc. His Dad was too short to join the English army in the great war so served as an Engine Fitter in the docks in England on submarines - the working conditions were so bad he nearly died through sickness. My wifes great grandfather died in Bolonge France (in 1915?) and is buried in a military cemetery over there - Most of this we never knew growing up. While their experiences may not be as severe as serving at the "front" the ordeal has left its mark. My Mums father served as a mounted Soldier for 4 years defending the coast from invaders and that meant the farm went backwards while he was away - At least the majority of our family survived yet the impact was far and wide. The dawn service at Auckland's War memorial Museum this year was terrific - the fly over of two "hueys" at the close of the ceremony was fantastic. ANZAC day is a commemoration not a celebration. There was a line in a TV programme the other day (Poldark) - Sir - How did the war go, reply - A waste of good men.

14. On this 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings, I'm taking a moment to remember our allied ANZAC heroes who fought and died. We will never forget.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Rckt98

Rckt98

We attended our local Dawn service yesterday for the first time, very moving.
    Lest We Forget.

16. My Grandfather was in WWI and was wounded by a German, lucky for him the bullit hit his tobacco tin. In WWII he ran the lend lease agreement for NZ and was Government stores manager and also responsible for all NZ post war asset disposal.
    He is bottom left.
    Lest We Forget
    JW
    [​IMG]

17. The Tobacco tin with the bullet hole. JW
    [​IMG]

18. Rckt98

Rckt98

The question must be asked, do you still have a shed full of surplus flathead tank engines and associated parts? LOL

19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

My first meal in Viet Nam was in the Sergeant's Mess of a Kiwi Pack Howitzer Battery (forget the designation) that was attached to the 173d Airborne Brigade - our third infantry battalion was the 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment. I was an artillery Forward Observer with 2/503d Infantry & was very happy to get support from those guys. The Aussie & Kiwi soldiers that worked with U.S. Special Forces are remembered every year on our Memorial Day. Worked with some fine "diggers" in those days.

Hatchet and kiwijeff like this.
  20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Thinking of all our Fallen today. Doc--you always make sure we are on the mark. My Dad was RNZAF right at the end of WW2, and my son is currently serving--USAF C17 Aircrew....

Freedom is not free....

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. patterg2003

patterg2003

Doc.
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. My thoughts are with you on ANZAC day.

22. Now that would have been cool, I would have liked a couple of P-40 Kittyhawks and a shed full of Flatheads. JW:D

23. Rumoured to be dozens buried in the "holes" on State Highway One past Burnham.

Lest We Forget.

24. 2017
    My local council chambers have been doing this display, for fallen locals for the last few years.
    Had to stop and grab a pic today. IMG_20170429_145119.jpg

25. belair

belair

Some of the toughest troops to ever serve any nation.

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

bit late now but dont be lost, welcome down my way , pretty quiet usually though. Maybe hit your brother in law up? (I think someone I worked with was that)

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

When dad's Group was stationed at Charters Towers, Qld, they were short on flight crew members. Many men from Oz served in the 3rd Attack Group, with some making the ultimate sacrifice. Hats off to our mates down under .

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Doc, do you guys observe Rememberance Day, Nov. 11th down there? My grandfather was in th eBoer and First World War. Never talked about it. He was in the Royal Medical Corp. In November I like to listen to Mark Knoefler's "WeWill Remember Them". Give it a listen.

Humankind is capable of so much beautiful, ingenious things and yet we still haven't learned the stupidity of war. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to admit I am human.

Hatchet and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Jeff, that is quite a pic. And it isn`t raining in good old Greymouth either? Must be your Day. Thinking of our fallen as my son returns from a Pacific jaunt......He may end up doing his 20 years USAF and taking his retirement. I`m proud of him, and my Dad.

kiwijeff likes this.