Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh no not another Willys Gasser build, this time a Willys shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Been thinking about the sides of the bench seat, i've had the ply templates on there for a while now, had a root through my aluminium scrap and found some 2mm sheet so came up with new sides, a bit of hole sawing and a few rivets and viola !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

the aluminum seat sides are awesome , love the build ,

OahuEli likes this.
  4. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Looking good Steve.

5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yuminy Yum.......Still looking for some suitable Cider, Steve.....:D

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Captain.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Stu

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don't stop looking mate, its there somewhere :D

9. blasted

blasted
    from N. Tex

Steve, thank you for sharing your skills with us folks. I agree the old hood isn't what she used to be, but folks like you keep the love burning. Kinda like you, I have done one person builds for over 40 yrs also, but your talent is rare. I always watch your awesome builds. I don't post often, but wanted to let you know you have a half a world watching and learning from your post. Thanks again and fair wind in your sails Mate.
    Doc

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hey Doc thanks a lot for the kind words, they are appreciated, I will try to keep up the same standard to the best of my ability.

Cheers Steve

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Got a couple of pm's asking how I made the seat sides, I thought it was obvious but thought I would explain further.
    I rough cut the shape out of a sheet of 2mm 6 series aluminium sheet, this is a harder & stiffer flavour that doesnt like being folded, If you wanted to put folds in you would use a softer flavour like a 5 series, I cut it outside with a cutting disc, then took the more manageable bits inside, started with jigsaw but thought I would give the Cut50 plasma cutter a go as I already had the plywood template, It cut all 4 pieces out in about 20 mins and left a decent edge that was cleaned up quite easily with a 80 grit flapwheel.
    They are made in 2 pieces as you can see in the pics, the relevant holes were drilled and hole sawed, the rear upright and lower holes are actually 6mm stainless coach bolts with re profiled heads as they attach the sides the rest are solid rivets, The edge that is seen is welded and then smoothed to a bull nose shape. I then finished it all in a brushed finish.
    Thats about it really, I've also added a pic of the riveting tools, nothing complicated. Hope this explains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

farmer12, volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Bit more progress, while I was making the seat sides I kept looking at the seat stands, i've been a bit undecided what to do with them, obvious choice was holes which would lighten them considerably but that was too obvious for me so I came up with this shape, this lightens them a lot but I didn't like that you would see what was under the seat as I will probably have the fusebox under there, anyway I backed it with a piece of 20swg aluminium sheet, Its now light but covered and is different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While fiddling with the seat my mind was turned to thinking about harnesses and how to anchor in a truck, Harnesses are a bit tricky in a truck as its difficult to get the shoulder straps to run at the desired 20 degree angle, first I put in a crossbrace 4" off the floor, this is on flanges so it can be removed easily, a short piece of tube was added in the centre on a plate which conveniently sits just above the centre crossmember so bolts down easily and takes the righthand belt strap, the left strap bolts into the cage hoop basemount, A 7/16" bung was welded into the tube and gussetted for the straps to connect to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started fitting the Pirelli webbing on the seats but run out of staples !!!

[​IMG]

farmer12 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The more I looked at the new sides the more I disliked the back plate so bit the bullet today and dug out all the small offcuts of Fairlane grill I had and welded them together to get 2 pieces big enough, a proper crap job it was too, had to carefully sand of the anodizing and still didn't weld nice, must of been made from old cans !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the grill mesh in with the thin aluminium backing and looked better but then I had an idea of using the Red tinted offcuts from the windows, I'll let you guys decide which is best ??? bear in mind the seat base will be black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

farmer12 likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Steve--
    Ya gotta be bout out of that grille mesh huh!!!!
    I like it all.
    Problem is; now you gotta make a pair of those "street rod" door props for the static displays, would be a shame not to show them seat mounts off.
    Doug

15. I like the last one. I just used some of that mesh for an underdash package tray. I love that pattern. Your seat look really good.

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well since you asked... I liked it with the flat aluminum panel (without the expanded metal) as you first built it. With the expanded metal I kind of liked it with the red plexiglass behind it.

17. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Plexiglass it is Steve

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I got another mint full grill Doug nut would rather not cut it just yet. No door props will be harmed in this build :D

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Lets see a pic then !!!

20. loudbang

loudbang

I vote for the grille and red plexiglass.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the input guys , Managed to make a decision last night so I'm scrapping the seat supports, had an idea come to me last night in a dream , Stay tuned !!!
    Shame but just not happy with how it turned out but these bits will get used elsewhere at some point no doubt.

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Oh boy Langy,
    The rest of us are trying to keep up and you scrap what we all think is a great idea. Can't wait to see the replacements.;)

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DLooks like another one of those"Film at 11"deals.Knowing Steve his will be super.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not so much an update, more of an upgrade [​IMG] the sensible side of me originally had me fit these 31" x 10.5" x 15" radials and everytime I look at them I kept thinking it really needs Pie crusts on it !!!
    Well as I deal with Towel City tires and had a sizeable order to put I bit the bullet and ordered up a pair of 29.5" x 10.5" x 15" Piecrust slicks, I had them with the whitewall and had them custom grooved at the same time as it saves me doing the grooving, they arrived today and they are yummy !!!.
    They also smoothed off the sidewalls so no lettering

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

farmer12, volvobrynk and plumbid like this.
  25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well seat frame mk2 is done, spent the last few evenings [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I'm happy with it now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That's pretty cool looking Langy! Guess you are not one to store stuff under your seat:)

27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Well, you did it. I though you might rethink this and go back to mk1. This IS even better! Maybe the red plexi?

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Would make a great mobile wine cellar.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah plenty of space under the seat, the base just lifts out in seconds

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The holes are just right for cider cans , hahaha