Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Live from Austin, Lonestar Roundup 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I enjoyed meeting you as well, Chris. I just checked out your instagram, you're very good with the camera!

2. Amazing pics! So many amazing rides...

3. KCsledz

KCsledz

Such great pics! Thanks for taking so many fine shots.

4. My favs:
    DSC_1751-1.jpg _DSC1838.jpg
    Who says more doors aren't cool?
    DSC_1691.jpg
    Very nice Mr Tom Davison!

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was midafternoon, generally the worst time of the day. But sometimes that will work, as it did here. It's at one of the nicest rest stops I've ever seen, even larger rock cliffs on the other side of the highway. About halfway between Tucson and the NM border on I-10.

I have a personal interest in the car....I painted it for Jerry French in 1964, shortly after he ordered the car new with a 390 4 speed setup. He garaged it in '72 and only recently got it out and went through the mechanicals. But the same candy paint job which held up incredibly well.

6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

7. LongT

LongT

There sure are a lot of cars that I would like to own!! Not to mention the fantastic photography!!!!

Bill

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

And then the weather became perfect for the Sunday cruise to the Oasis, high above Lake Travis.
    DSC_2146.jpg DSC_2158.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    jakespeed63, Sancho, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great stuff Tom,thanks

12. fms427

fms427

Thanks,Tom - great shots !

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Looks like these two could've been done by the same guy. Or two guys with very similar taste:
    DSC_0577.jpg DSC_0649.jpg
    I think they're both great looking. I already described the deuce as having Dignified Menace; maybe the sleeker '33 has Sinister Sophistication.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    63fdsnr likes this.
  14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

15. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Thanks for the photos,it looks like another one for the bucket list. You guys don't know how lucky you are to have so many big and fantastic events in your country. I'm making trip No5 in June but unfortunately there wont be too much hotrod stuff this time. I'll be doing Back to the Fifties and that's it. Trip No6 will have to be a boys hotrod trip.
    You guys have it all.

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

17. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

do you have to post picture of nothing but the cars in the corral ? there is other cars there if you didn't notice

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yes, we do know.

19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I am showing nothing but cars in the corral? I count forty pictures that I have posted so far that were taken outside the corral. A majority of the cars on the concourse do not qualify for coverage on HAMB, wrong style, wrong era. For the most part, they are packed in tightly, which does not give me the opportunity I am looking for. Ditto for cars with the hood open, or the doors or truck lid not being completely shut. Or junk and chairs scattered about.

I shoot within those guidelines, but the cars also have to fall in the realm of my own taste and must be interesting to me. And then, I simply miss cars because of time or weather constraints.

But, here's some more "outside" cars that I hadn't gotten to yet, just for you! DSC_0833.jpg DSC_0834.jpg DSC_0843.jpg DSC_0859.jpg DSC_0864.jpg DSC_0869.jpg

20. Tom, you manage remarkable restraint. Remember, this is the new American ethos apparently; "I know you fed me yesterday, but what have you done for me lately?"

Thanks for all your fine photos, the time and expense you've got invested in getting there, taking the shots, and then what I would imagine is considerable post production effort before posting. I love your work, please know it's appreciated by most here.

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

Tom, thanks for posting all these awesome photos. Many of us would have loved to attend the Lone Star Roundup, but were not able to do so. Thank you for bringing the show to us! Your work is amazing.
    We greatly appreciate the time you're taking to post your photos.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tom "highroad" Davison...

bengeltiger, BLAKE, 63feuni and 6 others like this.
  23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha ha

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

One of my favourite cars ever(or at least in my top 10)
    thanks again Tom

_DSC1838.jpg

25. Dad & I take an annual father-son trip...this year we chose the RoundUp. It was good hanging with old friends @wino01 and @brokenspoke, shaking hands with the boss man @Ryan again, and meeting @Elrod. Looked around for (but couldn't find) @Chris Casny, @Anderson, and @jw johnston but got to drool over their cars for a while.

Best moment was shooting the bull with Mr. Roy Drapal for 30-45 minutes; going over the fine minutiae of how he built his hot rod (with only hand tools). From the 903J headlights to the Packard instrument cluster; to the tie rods-turned 4 bar and the Model A fender irons heated & bent to float the fenders, the craftsmanship and pride of that little A coupe were something to behold!

I came away incredibly impressed with "Mr. Roy's" youthfulness and humility...several times he mentioned that he "never woulda thunk anyone would care about seeing that old thing"...he and his little 'A' coupe are national treasures as far as I'm concerned!!

drapal 4.jpg
    drapal 1.jpg
    drapal 2.jpg drapal 3.jpg

26. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Damn fine job with the camera! Thanks for posting!

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Tom, I would like to thank you for posting these pictures for those of us that can't be there to appreciate,
    unlike some people. :rolleyes::eek:o_O:confused:

28. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Great pictures of great cars. Thanks.

Now get to the pictures of birds and stuff.

29. 46stude

46stude

I'm so pissed. All these pics, yet not one of my junky Thunderbird! You evil photographer!!

Yeah, right. Your pics rule. Thanks for sharing 'em.

30. That Galaxie paint is as old as me??? surely you're joking. :rolleyes:;)
    Holy Cow, that is nothing short of amazing. Well done, then and now.
    JT

39ChevyBob likes this.