Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Shifter collecting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lytles Garage, Dec 31, 2012.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have 2 of these, NOS still in the boxs

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and OLSKOOL32 like this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have this one but do not know who made it! It has reverse lock out, heavy duty rods and would like to find an identification. Gary:D

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. 296ardun

296ardun

I bought a really early shifter kit from Service Center in LA, for my '50 Merc., didn't work very well and did not come with a stick, just the levers, adjusters and a box to hold it together, not sure if this is one of them, but sort of looks like it might be...these came out before Hurst and Ansen, or I would have gotten one of them...finally got tired of it hanging up and reinstalled the column shift

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car was a '53 Chev coupe with the original 3 speed. I put an aftermarket floor shifter in it, the stick was chromed flat plate with a wooden yoyo style knob. If I remember correctly, it was a Sparkomatic. Sorry, no pics.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Probably should have mentioned this, but I actuallu did't start out to "collect" any of these. I currently have 4 of Hurst's Auto Stick 1 shifters, a NOS, in-the-box, Ansen shifter for a Tri-Five Chevrolet 3-speed (it'll fit/work with the same style trans up to about 65, but it's advertised as 55-57), and I bought a few of the Hurst and B & M race, auto shifters BEFORE they turned in to Chiwanese made junk. NOT FOR SALE GUYS. Maybe after I'm gone. Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. truckdude1

truckdude1

I cleaned up the Ansen (??) shifter from post #29. Making a mount and using it with a '53 Merc OD trans in my T-tub. Can anyone now ID it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

another Foxcraft, well three actually,
    'scored these on that auction site the other day

they fit the selector style transmissions,
    one for the Olds and two with the same main shifter but different arms and rods
    Buick maybe?

anyway, this is how they came in the box
    and how they look installed
    may need to add a brace or two to stiffen it up
    and a bit of modifying to the rod ends to let them work smoother

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.
  8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Not sure how rare mine is but have been collecting parts for it for a while now. It's a hurst 3 speed shifter for my 64 ford f-100 I have collected everything for it piece by piece but need the shifter arms. The pieces that are bent flat stock with the keyed hole in them, and would love to have a instruction booklet or if somebody knows if the instructions are on line somewhere that would be great also.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Paul, I've also seen two Foxcrafts of that style that were both intended for '39-'56 Mopar selector transmissions.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

anybody have an old speed catalog with Foxcraft shifter listings?

11. I have two of those Foxcraft shifters as well. Both of them fit on my 51 Olds Selector Shift.

According to this, Foxcraft used the basic shifter body for all transmissions, and different rods were used depending on the model. I'll check tonight and see if I have any more Foxcraft stuff at home.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. 1941coupe

1941coupe

hurst 40-48 ford/merc was nos when I installed it in my 46 merc coupe

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Gary how ya been? Looks like a P&G shifter, I am certain someone on here can verify.

14. Still looking for one of these.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think it's a P & G also, even tho' they normally say that on the shifter stick also. Might have been made for another vendor, such as J.C. Penny's, although Penny's stuff usually had FX on them. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. Falconred

Falconred

Does anyone remember a shifter that was called or used the logo "Get-A-Away" it was a cheaper shifter back in the sixties. I had one of the dog leg bench seat 4-speed Hurst shifters in a '56 Ford with a T-10, I remember I had to order a Ford installation kit. I had a 3-speed Hurst for awhile back in those days. I broke a lot of stock Ford shifter handles.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

from my post above

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I have a jap car shifter and its a selector type. havnt had time to adapt it to my 39 Buiick, but it might work. just a thought. Just dont tell anyone.

19. EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY

Awesome thread! Here's a long awaited shifter I've been hunting for minus the mounting hardware...I would like to see a mounting plate/bracket for a Muncie. If any one has one. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429751596.501345.jpg

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  20. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I have a B and M out of a Dodge pickup, dashmount, that I would like to make a box like they came out with when they went aftermarket. Same shifter came in the 64-65 Dodge Darts, and 65 Monacos, Polaras. Smooth action, I need the attachment hardware to hook up to a 66 and later 727.

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. flypa38

flypa38

I still have an Ansen posi-shift for 56-57 Pontiac that I'd like to sell. It's in the box but missing a piece of linkage I think. If any of you could give me an idea on what to price it at, I'd be very appreciative! Don't want to ruin this thread....Please PM me if you know anything about these.
    Thanks
    Johnny

22. F&J

F&J

Missing parts will scare most people away. You can now send pics of what you have in the new PM system. I do have spare parts for that Ansen, but don't know what you need. Send some pics to me, and I will look at what I have.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

image.jpg I got this one w/ '55 322, no markings anywhere.It works pretty slick. Any info would be nice. I would like to know what knob it should have.

1Nimrod and Paul like this.
  24. flypa38

flypa38

Here are a few. I figure if I share them with everyone it would be a little more in the scope of what this thread was intended for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

First I think I've ever seen with a built in zerk for greasing!!

26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree it is unique, but not the best design, I don't think. Gary;)

27. F&J

F&J

Flypa38; you are missing quite a bit. I would think that the main lever, and shift body as well as the long L shaped counter lever would be shared by all types of GM selector transmissions.

As you can see on yours ,and Jet96 pics, there are multiple holes for the main lever linkage. That hints to the main parts being shared by all GM trans types.

I am pretty sure the main mounting bracket (to the tail housing bolts), will be different for each GM trans. Jet96's bracket would likely not fit the Pontiac HD trans, nor Olds...

Jet96 has the light duty, 5 bolt top cover trans. Your Pontiac shifter should be for the heavy duty 6 bolt, which also was in Olds cars from 51 to 64.

You are missing the main mounting bracket, and two long linkages to the side and bottom levers, and I think you are missing the short link that you can see at the very top of Jet96's shifter.

I can look to see what I have.

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. A couple of pics for EMPEROR CHUCKYBOY...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  29. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

F&J, It's hard to see but I have a 6 bolt trans behind that one. Out of an Olds I believe. The main mount part will bolt to the 6-bolt. The case is longer, but the shifter connections sit further back in the case. That coupled with the multi holes and the rods having 4" of threads on them makes me hopeful it will swap over. The Buick tranny input shaft and bearing met with catastrophe, apparently common with the 5-bolt haha

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. F&J

F&J

Yes I saw the 6 bolt. It also looks like it once had a floor shifter, because the side lever looks aftermarket.

If you use an Olds trans on a stock Buick bellhousing, on a nailhead, the Olds input shaft is too long. There were some Buick 6 bolt selectors that would have the correct shorter input shaft, but I don't know what years, or what models of Buick.

1Nimrod likes this.