Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Your 2 car garage....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Apr 17, 2015.

1. I have a 1 1/2 that I work out of and a 10 foot wide addition that I keep the '57 in. This is last years engine install:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a nice workbench on the back wall and tool box storage along one side. Lots of shelves and parts crammed into every space I can. It works.

2. Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    This one is actually a little bigger then the previous one I built the truck in...

3. I see I'm not the only one with tight quarters to work in. I'm also claustrophobic and need my space!

4. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would like to see more pics of this garage it looks like a cool place to hang out:)

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. white64

white64
    from Maine

My two car: odd ball size....It's 24' deep, 24' at the front, 20' feet at the rear due to a property setback. I added the 12' x 8'addition on the back to hold boxes, tools etc. I decided to stay away from a work bench, and replaced it with an old steel desk... I find with a bench it becomes too cluttered to work on but, the desk doesn't seem to and gives me 360 access to projects. Heat comes from a propane trailer furnace set @ 40 degrees, augmented by a electric heater that I use in the depth of winter to bring the space up to 60 quickly. I added a lot of lighting for these old eyes this past winter, it's much better!

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      362.3 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      374.6 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      384.2 KB
      Views:
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm hip to that, seems I can't get enough light nowadays.
    Just a side note that I failed to include in my prior post:
    For those that have not ventured into our partner site The Garage Journal; it's chock full of garage/shop ideas, the Garage Gallery is especially cool.
    Access is at bottom of page.

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Where their is the will, there is a way, you can make it work, great ideas here how to condense, shelves, etc. Building a big garage is the answer if you can, otherwise , be happy with what you have,work on your cars and enjoy the hobby.

10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I've got a two car garage, the working bay is 24x23', but I have somehow managed to fit three cars (my Model A, '59 Studebaker, and off-topic red sporty car) in there with enough parts to build the better part of another Model A in the rafters and ajoining wood shop.

You can always make room for one more thing...

Model T1 likes this.
  11. I just threw out a ton of stuff and put up a good-sized shed. The next phase is going out the back 10' or 12' deep x 20' wide. This would get all the machine shop equipment in a nice area and I would install a stove of some sort. I just shudder at going with a permit, since the existing structure is close to the property line. And I would need my sprinklers moved.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I feel ya Bob--
    When I put my building up in 1985 the permit was $385.00
    Couldn't even guess what they are now.

13. The permit is chicken feed, the hassle will be going for a variance and having to have plans drawn up. Variances can have a 6-month approval cycle.

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I screwed up.. Should have built my front storage bays with the high ceiling and the work bay with low ceilings. A lift wont work in the work bay because it would take up too much space. I still pinch myself. Been waiting for this for 30 years..

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, enloe and Model T1 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ya gotta want it!!!
    When I was told the price for the permit; I asked what it would take to reduce the (permit) cost, the county guy said "just take out those two big doors and call it a shed"--I did not.
    You are correct though about the wait, just to get use to it go to the post office once a day.

16. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Like said before, if you haven't been to the Garage Journal before before, it is a must see now. In particular check out Jack Olson's post "12 gauge garage". Jack is the most ingenious, creative, designer for a small garage.

17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

memorial day 2013 011.jpg

WORKED outta this for 38 years -- servicin & repairin clients vehicles -- "retired" in mid 2012 when I realized I wasn't going to be able to to repair my beloved Beulah [ who was "killed" in August of 2011 ] took the wind outta my sails:( -- still maintain my own vehicles, and every so often, onea my elderly clients will need a favor -- but my rescue Merc lives here now -- for the time being -- till Beulah COMES HOME! :):D:cool: Estimated *REbirth* sometime in August - September -- She's IN the body shop now havin her rust and dings and crooked things repaired, straightened and smoothed -- DROVE her last week for the first time since 08/10/11 --

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    mgtstumpy, scotty t and Model T1 like this.
  18. jazz1

jazz1

IMG_1239.JPG I have a 24 x 30 garage, a 12x16 storage building and a wigwam for vehicle storage....I put posts and doors in front of wigwam to save it from the damage of a prevailing north wind
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    reagen, mgtstumpy, jkluge and 3 others like this.
  19. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

My car barely fits in my garage! And it occasionally turns into a shelf as i get into a project. I can only work on one side at a time and gotta move my harley outside to have any room. Even with a welder, small air compressor, and a bench on wheels i still manage to get stuff accomplished some how! I guess my 63 is as big as 3 regular cars anyway so as long as i got heat and a roof i will make do!

Attached Files:

Piledrivin'Joe and Model T1 like this.
  20. 1963hoopty

1963hoopty

I got a small setup too. But we get by with what we got!Not to get off the subject but i Love the guzzi! Ive had a guzzi chopper for 20yrs!

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Seriously, a Moto Guzzi chopper?? That is a very unique bike!! o_O:rolleyes:

22. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I lost my race shop due to a land deal. I just added a 26x34 onto the back of my existing 30x40 garage. Kept costs down by doing 90% of it myself. I hate carpentry work but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and do what you have to do to keep your toys safe. Also made a place for the garden tractor, mower, yard tools, etc for almost free. Have a nice little patio to hangout on, too. The actual garage addition is 26x22 with a 26x12 hobby area on the very end. Look at adding on if possible.

SPark

Attached Files:

reagen, mgtstumpy, Model T1 and 3 others like this.
  23. Cmac79

Cmac79

Garage ?
    That would be nice.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429766211.188449.jpg

mgtstumpy and Model T1 like this.
  24. papacub

papacub

IMG_0332A.jpg IMG_0336A.jpg
    Finally took a pic of my project in my new garage.

mgtstumpy and Model T1 like this.
  25. 327Eric

327Eric

whats a garage? I have an unlevel driveway, a small shed for my toolbox, and parts and cars spread over 3 counties, and a flat pad at my dads house, 150 miles away, to build cars on.

26. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Buck--
    Any more pics of the 5W

28. Model T1

Model T1

I love these honest comments about guys with a tiny garage or a shade tree and gravel drive way to work. Let's face it, everyone can't afford a large shop with every tool invented as some of these two car plus garages show. Obviously some guys have no idea what a real two car garage is. It ain't a Jay Leno type warehouse.
    Someday I'll write about the four homes we've owned in our entire 57 years of marriage and the four garages that came with them. This two car garage thread is very interesting to me since the next and last garage, which I haven't even seen in person, is only 20X20.
    Keep them coming. Our garages are our castles. Where hotrods are worked on and beer is our friend. Man caves are for trophies and wine sippers. :rolleyes::)

Cmac79 and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  29. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

20140727_145350.jpg 20140727_145350.jpg _DSC1802_3067-L.jpg _DSC1802_3067-L.jpg
    Before and after. I just changed over to the steelies and excelsior tires