Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hilton/Ross coupes - 3k mile trip to/from Austin with pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Apr 22, 2015.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Literally just back last night from a 3k mile trip to the Lonestar Roundup in Austin and thought I would post a thread...

The convoy consisted of my coupe, Tony’s Lil Miss Chevious coupe, a fresh (1 mile on the clock when we left) blown Y block coupe, a 6 inch chopped hemi powered coupe being delivered to one of Bob Hilton’s clients in Texas, Tony Lombardi’s father’s ’49 Olds and a truck/trailer (just in case!) which wasn’t needed as it turns out.

We averaged 500-550 miles a day and drove through sun, lots of wind, heavy rain and even got to see hail. I have a new appreciation for those that drive their rods long distances to shows and a whole new perspective on cars that are trailered to shows. Having heard down there of some guys that trailered their cars to the show and even then had parts fall of their cars ON THE TRAILER I can't speak highly enough about the car/motor I now get to drive each day. Next trip? Jalopy Showdown next month in PA.

The cars all performed flawlessly, engines never missed a beat and the only maintenance required was a quick brake adjustment at a gas stop. So, 4 coupes, a combined 13k miles and NO breakdowns. Says a lot about the quality being put out by Bob Hilton and Tony Lombardi…

The cars were all a hit at the show., they took part in several days of photo shoots and if any of you have more photos of the cars down in Texas feel free to post them in this thread.

I got to meet several HAMBers and Ryan, all of whom were very complimentary about the coupe. Glad I made the trip and look forward to doing it again next year.

Just about to hit the road from Camp Hilton...
    IMG_0339.JPG

One of MANY gas stops. The Gentleman's coupe averaged 18.5MPG IMG_0410.JPG

Red carpet treatment for the cars, hotel canopy parking to keep them somewhat dry overnight.
    IMG_0419.JPG

View from the pilots seat coming back up and into Tennessee
    IMG_0434.JPG

Grabbing some food in TN
    IMG_0438.JPG

Arrived in Austin and needed to remove 1500 miles of road dirst/bugs.
    IMG_0352.JPG

My wife made the journey down, a real trooper and helped keep the car spotless.
    IMG_0361.JPG

The cars looking good on a local race track...
    IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    enloe, jakespeed63, 63fdsnr and 7 others like this.
  2. Love it, just love it. You guys are my heroes. Glad the trip went well. Great gas mileage for your Coupe! ...........................Don.

olcurmdgeon and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. the violator

the violator

WOW!!! Amazing cars, I cant decide which one I like best.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

30/31 coupes on deuce rails are the new bellybutton rods :D

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

It was great meeting you at the Roundup. All of your crew's rides were awesome.

6. brady1929

brady1929

What a great group of hot rods.

7. .............................................Sure seems that way, Larry, but, I would love to own any one of those "belly-buttons".:)

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

"Belly button rods"? New one for me, not sure what that means...

9. wex65

wex65
    from WV

OK, found it...

"Sometimes used to describe Chevrolet's small block V8. The SBC's exceptional popularity has led some to disparage it as ordinary, mundane or uninteresting. The belly button reference suggests that the engine is so common that, like a navel, everyone has one."

Each to their own I guess, I don't find it mundane or boring and compared to the number of 32s here on the HAMB the 30 is far less common. Looking around the LSRU I saw few 30 coupes on deuce rails.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Hey, ignore that crazy fool, he obviously hasn't had his medication today

3wLarry likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

it was a joke

haha?

nevermind

kidcampbell71, D-Russ and wex65 like this.
  12. oj

oj

The bellybutton comment must have been a mistake, chalk it up to error. Those cars are anything but bellybutton, very well designed and built - congratulations on an epic Maiden Voyage, see you at the Showdown.

13. Exactly, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

3wLarry likes this.
  14. Good stuff, but one complaint: Need more pics of that 49-50 Olds!

15. Guys, I think some of you are taking Larry's comments way too seriously.

ahgarageohio and 3wLarry like this.
  16. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Seeing them in person was awesome, and following the trip on Instagram made it even better... Had the pleasure of meeting Tony and Bob. Both are super nice guys and great to meet. As a young guy really into the newly coined "belly button" coupes I was star struck...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429716753.995531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429716782.141843.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429716809.257640.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429716833.114104.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429716861.411301.jpg

enloe, jakespeed63, y'sguy and 3 others like this.
  17. exterminator

exterminator

Love your coupes-Bad to the bone!

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That was one hell of a group of cars man...

wex65 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. A coupe's are somewhat like '32 roadsters to me. If they are done well, I never tire of looking at them. Tim

jakespeed63 and bengeltiger like this.
  20. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks guys, had an awesome week on the road and look forward to doing it again soon.

Re the belly button comment above. 3wLarry is a total gent himself and I take that as nothing other than a joke, just wasn't a term I had previously heard. That and being tired from the trip, it went completely over my head...

I will look for more photos of Ross' '49 Olds but not sure I have many. The thing is a rocket, total sleeper.

3wLarry and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Tell me to pick a favorite ONE out of this group and I don't think I could do it.
    BTW...That Larry guy, SHEESH!

LTM75110, lothiandon1940 and 3wLarry like this.
  22. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

24. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

25. Very nice cars. And Wowee! on the powerplants. I 'm diggin' them.

26. krupanut

krupanut

This was the best line up of cars I have ever scene at the LSRU!

The Kontinentals had a hell of a time picking just one for the Kontinental pick.

Hats off to yall!! Thanks for brining them!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Got any pictures?

28. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

There is nothing like driving your hotrod on a long road trip. This time last year my wife and I put 2600 miles on our channeled 31 Ford coupe. I understand the "bellybutton" comment. 350, powerglide, 9 inch. yellow, chrome wheels. I take it as a compliment. Our trip was from the west end of the Oklahoma panhandle to Port Aransas, Texas, west to ElPaso, then north thru New Mexico.Then home. We went alone, but I know it would be a blast to run with like minded cars and people. Cruise on brothers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  29. My first trip to LSRU and really enjoyed it. Your coupes were all just outstanding, I had followed the Gentleman's Coupe build here on the Hamb, but to see it in person....wow. A really nice car, your entire group of cars was really, really nice. They were all so damn clean I was actually wondering if you drove them to Texas, so pleased to hear you did. I'm going to have to drive my A coupe out from Cali next year !

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really appreciate you guys challenging the unpredictable weather, especially in Texas, to come from the East Coast to Austin. Your coupes were real assets to the show, each one unique in its own way, and obviously up to the task. I have to admit that I wussed out and didn't drive 80 miles from San Antonio because of the ongoing threat of hail. I kept seeing it about 75 miles west of Austin, so I left my roadster in the garage. I was soo disappointed in myself when the weather turned good to great. You dudes should really be proud of your accomplishments. Hope to see you next year, hopefully with better weather. Sometimes people use the "belly button" moniker because of envy.