Register now to get rid of these ads!

seats with integral seat/shoulder belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I installed Chrysler sebring convertible seats in my '40 Sedan Delivery - pre 2001 model without the cartridge type belt pre-tensioners. I also found a pair of Cadillac fold forward seats with integrated belts narrow enough for a 1930's Ford - I think they were CTS but both these types have headrests....

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Seat belts might pull a car out of a ditch. But it`s that sudden SNAP that will break a Bolt, chain or incorrectly installed seat belt.

3. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

stress is stress.

a human being held by a seatbelt and getting hit at 50 MPH in an older car is gonna be ugly.

pulling a car that is under water out onto the street by one seatbelt with a wreckers winch......... im *sure* has more forces than that human's forces.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What is even uglier is when the same person without a seat belt bounces around inside the vehicle or is thrown out and flattened as the vehicle (or another vehicle) runs or rolls over them.

I'll take the seatbelt thank you.

Still gonna look at all the seats mentioned and try to find some nice ones.

5. josh highley

josh highley

My 57 chevy truck has bucket seats from an 02 Silverado. Fit nicely and have the integrated seat belts.

6. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

i think you misunderstood me- i was saying that the forces involved in an accident with a 180lb person (i wouldnt think) would be as much as pulling a water filled vehicle out of a pond/up a ditch/onto the street.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I would glady be hit by a person that can bench 400 pounds if he is going very slow, the way they pull cars out of ditches(or lakes). But it`s that sudden smack that will knock you on your but and leave you with a freakin headache.

8. Seat belts and seats will come out if not properly secured. If your u-pull lets you use a sawzall, just cut out as much of the seat belt bolt attachments from the car as you can and weld them into yours, or copy them to install your belts. Bolts and washers through one layer of floorpan aren't going to cut it.

9. 54 savoy

54 savoy

my 04 ford f150 ext cab work truck has them and the seat folds and slides forward,also the top headrest is detachable.

10. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

you can actually take extreme amounts of G forces at very quick intervals (crashing) but cannot withstand long exposure to high G's.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was refering to the seat belt.

12. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

My 37 Ford has buckets out of a trailblazer they just fit. I love them.

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I used the 3rd seat out of a '04 (I think) Yukon. It's a folding seat that latches in the upright position and the belts are integral and it's not a high back seat. In the Yukon, the seat is designed to latch into the floor of the truck. I designed mounts that attach to the same bolt that goes through the cab mounts and into the frame of the truck.That way, they can't rip out of the cab.

14. guys... bottom line this post is about having seat belts and shoulder belts, especially shoulder belts built into seats. Please post images and how to's ...
    It seems some of this thread get into unfavorable personal experiences, if you have kids or wife in the car or care about yourself, you need some belts.

I have seen some bobo a$$ builds and a whole lot drunk or impaired driving, especially at car shows. Part of the reason why Im hardly here ever.

One thing I do know from personal expercience, belts work, been in a a few wrecks, where someone hit me and it held me in place.

For some of you using the model built in seatbelts. I believe there is a device built into some of those belts that pops like and explosive change, to lock the belt clasp into place.
    That is why it is replaced after a crash, just like an airbag. It is electronically deployed when the airbag hits. The reason why seat belts get cut when a fireman pulls you from the wreckage.

How do I know this? Buddy of mine gave me a power seat, he was doing exactly one of those swaps where you use a F150 seat in his 59 Plymouth.

The seat bottom frame didnt work for the tranny hump so he gave me the seat, My F150 didnt have a power seat, same year as the seat he gave me.
    I installed it and got the airbag error. I read up online about it, basically I just had to use my old original seatbelt catch and the airbag error went away. It means the seat what in a car wreck.

Essentially even if you have the integrated seatbelt, it does provide some protection, but it is not providing all the protection a like modern car with a full CPU controlling systems do.

Just an FYI.

Also I just installed seatbelt in '64 wagon. just lapbelts OEM style equip. but better than nothing for now.

Martin Harris likes this.
  15. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I drive an 03 Chevy regular cab short box with this style seat, the back flips forward for rear access to the tool tray mounted behind the seat, or the slider at the front pulls it ahead too.

16. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

The issue is obviously not the belt itself, but the way it is mounted. And if the belt is integral to the seat, then it's the way the seat is mounted that becomes the focus. I'd say a lot of research would be required before simply bolting one these "belt integral" seats into one's rod.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually no research required. It isn't rocket science. These style seats typically come from GM pickup trucks.
    You modify the seats base brackets to fit the floor you are mounting it to so that they are as strong or stronger than they were originally and then bolt the seat down using the same 4 bolts that were used on the vehicle the seat came out of.

If you pay attention when you remove the seat from the donor vehicle you will see how the floor was constructed and beef up the floor in your own vehicle accordingly.
    There's no sense in overthinking these things.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. I am not going to make a stand for or against seat belts or shoulder belts. I will say that all of my cars or trucks have had seat belts that have been used since the '80s.

Here is the deal if your seat belts are pulling loose after your install I doubt that your seats are going to stay mounted in an accident. It is a pretty simple task to plate the floorboard where the seat belt is fastened. That is 2 plates per passenger as opposed to 4 plates per passenger for the seats. if you can't get two plates right it is not probable that you will get four right. No matter how you decide to tie yourself in be sure that you create good mounting points.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  19. I'm looking for some way to have shoulder harnesses in my Chevy. Some good info here.

20. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

From a business stand point your talking a liability nightmare. Pull the covers off a seat frame with integrated seat belts and you quickly realize that this is not only a beefed up seat frame but a well engineered system. All the way from the cab high strength steel sub frame and floors, quality grade bolts, and a beefy seat frame. As soon as the seat is removed from the vehicle it was designed for its safety has been compromised greatly. If it's for your personal ride chopping up a OEM seat to make it fit would be doable. If it were me though I'd be giving the mounting materials and floor design some very serious thought before starting a project like this. But then again when did you last wad up your ride? right. Throw some lap belts in and go! Obviously the key is to enjoy the thing ... What ever that entails? So now how do we get shoulder harness in the rumble seat? Humm, Enjoy and keep us in the loop. Subscribed!

21. gatz

gatz

Yes, you'll need the controller.
    That site is where I found all the info on the Sebring seats. Very helpful

There was another thread about seats w/ integral belts questioning the amount of tilt.
    I checked one of the Sebring seats and found the max forward tilt angle ~ 30º off vertical.

Chrys Sebring 30º tilt angle.jpg

They are what I plan on using on the 40 Chrysler (avatar); however I might consider the Chevy/GMC seats as some have posted about.

22. partssaloon

partssaloon

These are in my 57 pickup and I was told they were chevy truck seats, don't know the year though. 20160924_092617.jpg

TFoch likes this.
  23. gatz

gatz

Do those ^^^ tilt forward?
    if so, how much?

24. partssaloon

partssaloon

Yes they do tilt forward, I would say half the distance to the seat bottom. These are also 6 way power and lumbar adjustable. The center piece is a custom made armrest/storage filler.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, if you have any doubts you can run a cable anchor from the inside bolts to the frame ala Corvette.
    upload_2017-10-3_16-4-53.png

TFoch and Metaltwister like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tahoes and Yukons have integral seat belts. Fit great in a 36 Ford cabriolet we built.

TFoch likes this.
  27. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Sierras and silverados have them too, 99-06 GM trucks and full size SUV if I remember right

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great for open or pillarless old cars in particular.
    I had some in a F150 and they seemed to work fine...

29. Can anyone identify what year these Chevy truck seats are from?

30. chriseakin

chriseakin

If you don't mind having just lap belts, look at older vans. I had a '70 Econoline with just two bucket seats mounted on pedestals and the lap belts also mounted to the pedestals. When the van rusted to the point it wasn't safe to drive, the seats and pedestals were among the few things I saved.