Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods sbc bracket identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Chris, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

So I bought a complete small block off of Craigslist for one of my projects cheap and it came with carb, water pump, alternator, power steering pulleys and a weird bracket I don't recognize. I sandblasted it to see if I could find numbers on it, and it didn't have anything. Is this a factory bracket, modified factory bracket or what? It would he nice to know what it belongs to. The motor came out of a 79 Monte Carlo, but the block and heads are off a 94. A/c bracket maybe?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm thinking A/C, but that's usually where the Alternator

3. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Yeah luckythirteenagogo, that's on the short pump set up, this is long pump. That's why the alternator is on the passanger side.

4. 54vicky

54vicky

possibly an extra power steering bracket?

5. Maybe a bracket for a dual alternator set-up for some heavy duty truck application? Up-fitted for camper, tow truck package, something like that?

6. gas & guns

gas & guns

That's for an R4 ac pump.

7. X2 what G & G said.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

sucp_0910_05_z+chevy_350_engine_build+small_block.jpg ^^
    That's a later (1987 up) centrebolt (rocker cover) set up not the earlier 79 engine set up. 5lt or 350? If later block it has 1pc RMS. The AC compressor is missing. I think Chevy went to serpentine from 'V' belt a few years later so that narrows engine year down to a few years.

9. squirrel

squirrel

it must be post-pictures-of-80s-engines day bracket.jpg

1987 suburban 350 with R4 compressor

10. gas & guns

gas & guns

Kinda makes ya wanna grow a mullet.(not really)

11. Yet another mystery solved by the HAMB!

12. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Awesome, looks like I could use this bracket on my 54 to install ac! Now looking at the pics you all posted, looks like I need the little brace that goes to the intake and the flat one that goes around the compressor body. Or are those flat plates a part of the compressor?

13. squirrel

squirrel

The flat plates bolt to the compressor. But do yourself a favor, get a better compressor that takes a different bracket. The R4 is notorious for being a piece of crap.