Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '52-54 Ford headlight bezel frenching/tunneling questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hotrod54chevy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Bodywork newbie here. I'd seen that these rings looked to be the desired kind because of the inner trim ring that can be taken out. Is this so that adjustments can be made to the headlight from the front instead of having to pull the tire off? I'm asking because I don't know if you have to flip the bucket mount screws like I've seen in how-tos before or not. I'd also like to tunnel these a little. How far back do you go? I'd thought these were the Merc style, but they're marked as Ford. Only reason I'm concerned is I'd heard Ford bezels were pot metal. I've been able to stick a magnet on these. Do I have the right type, or will I run into trouble? And not that it matters, but these are going on my '54 Chevy. I'll try to post pics. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. vwdave30

vwdave30

The 52, 53 headlight rings are steel the 54s are potmetal. I think you still have to adjust your headlight from behind.

54delray likes this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

After getting your car at the intended ride height, adjust the lights from the front as you normally would. Then remove the bucket and set aside. Then weld on the Ford metal bezel and finish the bodywork and paint if possible. Now reinstall the stainless trim ring being careful so as to not break any of those little spring clips. Then grind or cut off the little edge on the bucket so it's able to mount flush from the rear of the fender after removing the front wheels and reinstall the headlite buckets. I would suggest replacing both headlite bulbs with new ones at this point. You cannot get to the adjusting screws with the stainless trim ring on and you can't remove the trim rings til you take the headlite bucket back out. As far as tunneling the lites, you really can't cause the trim ring limits the depth. Hope this answers your questions. It ain't easy being Cool. The procedure would be the same if you were to use you Chevy headlite rings without the hassle of the Ford stainless trim rings.

54delray, deucemac and justntime like this.
  4. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

If you are clever you can make tension clips so you can slip the stainless trim out by grabbing it with your fingers. Then you can adjust and change the bulbs easily. The clips are easy to make but kind of hard to explain without seeing them.

54delray likes this.

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

That is how I did it on my 53 about 10-12 years ago. I know there are several threads including mine that show how it's done. The others are right on target with their suggestions as well.

54delray likes this.
  6. atomickustom

atomickustom

You can make or buy clips to hold the stainless rings in place from the front, and they will definitely allow you to adjust the headlights when they are installed on the car when you pull the trim rings off.
    I have done it on my car. I think you still have to mount the buckets from behind, though, to allow you to CHANGE the headlight bulbs. (It might be possible to get them out from the front, but when I changed mine I did it by taking the buckets out, changing the bulbs, and putting the buckets back in from behind. It seemed easier than trying to fudge it, and how often do you change headlight bulbs?)

Just so you know, most of us that use the '52-54 Mercury-style headlight bezels for frenching do it because we like the way they look, not just to ease headlight adjustment. (That's just a nice side benefit.)

54delray and justntime like this.
  7. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I'd like to see a picture or two of these clips your talking about. Getting ready to french my 54 Merc and don't really like the aftermarket kit being sold. Marty

54delray likes this.
  8. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I would sure like to see how you made those clips. My 54 is at the body shop now.

9. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

any pictures of the clips you made?

10. Spooky

Spooky

How do you tell the difference?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to do a how to thread on this as I have had Merc rings on my truck since 1980 and have never seen or heard how to attach them where they can be removed and put back in easily. I have yet figured out how to get the springs back in place with the Merc rings after the shells are welded on the fenders.

For anyone frenching lights by welding rings on and installing the housing from the back I'd suggest welding in 1/4 inch bolts from the front so you can slide the housings on the bolts from the back and then put nuts on them. When you reverse the original spring nuts and use the screws it is a battle to get the screws lined up.

54delray likes this.
  12. The easiest way to tell the difference between steel headlight rings or pot-metal rings is to use a magnet. Pot-metal will not stick to a magnet. The pot metal rings are 1954 ford only. the steel headlight rings are 1952-53 Ford, or 1952-54 mercury. the Ford headlight rings have a slight peak at the top where the Mercury headlight rings are completely round top and bottom.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    54delray, lurker mick and LOST ANGEL like this.
  13. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

Ford Headlamp Doors have a hump at the top , Mercs are completely round !

54delray and lurker mick like this.
  14. DKcoupe

DKcoupe

Here's a possible option. I discovered by accident that the 52 - 54 Ford stainless rings fit inside my stock Chevy headlight bezels. I didn't like the way the sealed beams stuck out of the lights, but as the car was already painted, I didn't want to weld the Ford bezels on. So I put the Ford rings inside the Chevy bezels using the stock spring clips. Then I welded a 1 inch steel band around the Chevy headlight pots and added some tabs to screw them back into the fenders and so that the stock 47 rims could attach using a tab at the top and the single bottom screw. So I ended up with tunnelled lights (not frenched) and can still remove the bezels with one screw for adjustment or changing bulbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. patterg2003

patterg2003

FRENCHING 54 CHEVY HEAD LIGHTS @ gambino kustoms

Okie Pete and 54delray like this.