Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Your 2 car garage....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Well...looks like we might be losing our hangout and work spot...nice non descript building with room for 5 cars with room to work...it's been a nice 2 year run...dude that owns it suddenly wants to unload it. So now I got to get my long bed F100 and my 61 Sunliner in a 2 car garage 22 wide by 20 deep..standard 2 car door...get to invest in a shed and throw some shit out...hope my compressor, tool box, welder, and bench fit in there with my cars....this sucks! please lets see your 2 car set ups

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    2bubbas, lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Crap. I, on the other hand, gained a big 24x24 2 car garage with a 20x20 addition out back when I moved outta Flint. The Shoebox and wagon stay up front with my toolboxes and tractors and the back gets my T and the welder, big bench, TV, etc......

3. What........no more Flint Town....you going soft or what...congrats on the move and the space..I'm very envious

4. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hop on the Garage Journal if you are not a member already. Lots of good ideas and garage builds there. Plus they are part of Atomic Industries.

http://www.garagejournal.com/

Tim, mikhett and patmanta like this.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

OOF! Well, I'm in a 2 bay from probably the 30's, so it's smaller than that. I've got like 380sqf or less. I can't comfortably fit wider cars in it, I parked the OT 2010 Challenger I had in it during a freak hail storm when it was empty and pretty much had co crawl out the window (there's a half partition in there).

As it is, I've got enough room to work on Model A framed stuff with my shelves in the back of one bay and have a very tight workshop on the other side. It's VERY TIGHT. Shelves and cabinets are your friend as much as sheds are for anything yard related and parts (get at least a 12x12, my 10 x 12 is just a little small).

If you've got enough driveway, I'd also suggest looking into those temp garage tents.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

1429301759694.jpg
    Well, this is my setup. It really doesn't matter that you can't see much inside, because you really can't see anything with a car in there.
    I have everything packed against the walls, then move out the car and setup shop. It's not ideal, but I make it work.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's difficult. Painted cars and bikes stay inside. Period. Projects can stay outside covered. You'll need to be creative with sheds and outbuildings.

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429302446.848535.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429302475.111985.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429302498.939655.jpg

It's a little more crowded in there now with my '74 Honda CB350Four in there, but I pull it in tight to the Harley and it's OK. I also have a full dormered second floor, which is set up for woodworking and storage. All hot work and metal tools are downstairs, where it's concrete block construction as opposed to wood. The nice part about having the upstairs is that it practically doubles my square footage, but the downside is that the staircase cuts the depth of the second bay so that no full-size car could fit.

Our '59 Edsel is outside under a cover and tarp, and will be rolled in the bay where the '57 resides for work to be done. Same goes for when I'm doing work or maintenance on our other vehicles.

The bottom line is that we don't even bother looking at houses that don't have at minimum a 3 car garage. We're looking to move hopefully in the next year or less, and we're looking for homes with significant property and 3 car or more garages or barns.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    reagen, mcnally351 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Tony

Tony

Everything i've ever built came out of a 2.5 car garage thats attached to the house. I mean everything, even paint and body stuff.
    And, it's not even mine. I still build stuff out of my dads garage that i had set up years ago when i lived home. Sorry, i dont have pics.
    The garage at my place is nothing more than a place to park stuff.

It's going to take a lot of getting used to especially coming from a much larger set up, but you'll make it work.
    Remember, it isnt the size of the shop, its the quality of work that comes out of it.
    So just do the best you can with what you have :)

Tony

6inarow likes this.
  10. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Mine's a 3 bay. Wife's 2008 Roush on far right out of pic, empty middle, my '32 in the left bay. I keep my '69 Mach 1 in an enclosed trailer out back.
    [​IMG]

mcnally351 likes this.
  11. town sedan

town sedan

Your garage is about the same size as mine. So, good news is the Sunliner should fit with inches to spare. The F100 I'm not sure about. Bummer to be in this spot. Good luck. -Dave.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I remember those days...and how nice the 2 car garage was, after having a one car carport in the previous place, and nothing at all before that. I somehow managed to keep two cars in there, and a small workbench, compressor under the bench, a little bit of stuff along one wall. No rollaway tool box yet, etc.

I'm spoilt now, ten inside parking spots....sorry I can't help.

13. stimpy

stimpy

have a 1 car under the house that can barely fit the 50 in length wise ( 24'l x10' wide) due to tmy toolboxes , been working on that problem for several years , finally putting a workbench on the side and the car is going to be on skates to slide it as you can only work on one side at a time unless you have real long arms . my O/t cars are outside and I fix them out there with a portable car port over the top

14. Thanks guys...I gotten the F100 in there so that's good...the vehicles I'm ok with...it's the tools and equipment..no out buildings and "pop up" garages in my hood...although watching the comments on the neighbor hood Facebook page and watching the neighbors give me even more strange looks could be fun..

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Been there, done that. You never have enough space, I went from a single garage with single carport with my first house to a double garage with single carport in the next house. I upgraded then to a double garage with double shed and still didn't have not enough room with all the tools, cars and parts. My 35 resides in the front garage with the daily driver. The 46 is in the shed in pieces, a work in progress. I now need a 3 bay shed with hoist with room for more tools to come.

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've found myself in the position of, I have room for either the tools to do the project OR the project, but not both. You'll find a way if you want it bad enough.

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

Here's mine:

I keep the middle open as a "bay".
    [​IMG]

Machine tools on the right:
    [​IMG]

Workbench space on the left:
    [​IMG]

Toolbox/hardware storage:
    [​IMG]

Air compressor and lines. The line also runs across to my workbench area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'll also add: keep all your machine tools on casters so you can move stuff around and play "tetris" so you can fit stuff in a 2-car. It's hard, but if that's all you got you gotta make it work! ;)

patmanta likes this.
  19. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

In a 24'x28' garage I had a Bridgeport mill, industrial old timey lathe, 6' sheet metal brake, drill press, 2 welders plasma cutter, so on so on so on.... I feel it's not how much stuff you've got but rather how efficiently you store/organize the stuff. Putting a 4' wide shelf along 3 walls with all thread going into the ceiling joists/rafters as outer supports makes you feel as though you doubled your floor space with stuff out of your way.

jvpolvere1 likes this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

Loveoftiki, look at building lofts and shelves above truck door height. I have shelves 6.5 feet high down the length of both walls, supported by 45 degree braces to the studs, you can get a lot of stuff off the floor that way. Look at building a stand that mounts, grinder, vice etc on an old rim filled with concrete and a pipe. It takes longer to set up but you can move it around and free up bench space. Run an extra electrical circuit before you fill the place, conduit down the walls.

My problem is, I have a 30 x 44 shop but it's 2 hours away.
    I shuttle stuff back and forth between the shop and my home garage where I have about 1.5 car work space. Can't keep a trailer at my house so it gets interesting. If I break it down in the big shop I can work on smaller projects at home.

21. Thanks guys your making this a little les dismal...my hope is the guy realizes the building is in a crap area, needs a bunch of repairs to get it to code, and has to move his 4 vehicles and floor to ceiling treasures from the attached building....I think once he realizes the work he is looking at, not to mention finding a home for all his stuff he may change his mind....although he was talking a good game today.

22. Good thing is a did over do the electrical so running my compressor, welder, etc won't be bad...now no heat...it's a drafty block garage..

23. You've just got to build smaller cars. :D:D
    [​IMG]
    Seriously 20's and 30's car fit much better in a two car than 60's cars and longbed trucks.

Tim, spurgeonforge, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Home sweet home..1500 sq ft house and 1700 sq ft garage with 1180 sq ft heated and cooled...

Attached Files:

25. 24' wide x 26' deep. 001.JPG Works well for me. One 10' wide door also with picture window on the other side.

26. Sorry dude. That sucks- I'm no help cause my "2 car" garage has 2 cars in it but is 60x60 so I imagine it doesn't count.

clem likes this.
  27. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I can't respond with a video, so I'll try and explain it... Tiny two car, never have measured, your definitely not fitting two modern Cars in it. Standard trac home. I have a 54 bel air and a 31 coupe in here. Along with 2 engines 2 trannys 3 spare a doors and all kinds of other parts. As far as tools there's a miller sycrowave, and a wire feed stuck under my fab table.. Three separate tool boxes which double as work benches. And the damn A is always apart, so it's crap is scattered everywhere. It's a pain, and needless to say the bel air gets backed out when I do anything. However the first model A I built I did in a "no car" garage, my backyard... So this is wonderful to me. You can make it work...

28. I hear ya on the smaller cars...at 6'4...250 it's a bit of a challenge. Was gonna trade a 62 wagon I had for a 5 window..took about a 3 mile ride and realized I would have to take up yoga to drive it

midnightrider78 likes this.
  29. lowlinc

lowlinc

Ive got a fairly Large Garage/Shop. 28x36 and Its just FILLED with Junk. My pops is a Hoarder and I can only really fit 1 vehicle in it right down the Center( Door is on the 28' side). High ceilings though and a nice 1.5ton Electric crane in the roof comes in Handy. I'll Post some pics after I clean it.

30. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My set up is 3 bays with one back to back and the third off to the right of the pickup (you can't see in the photo). As long as my wife's car can get in there, she's fine. I keep thinking I have room for a couple more cars......at least in my heart and mind. I have most of my tools around where the Avatar is parked.

Attached Files: