Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tokyo Rose Tribute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikeszcz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Reading about Junior Stock and the Modified Production classes sure brings back wonderful memories for me.

Both of these classes were always full of competitors and the fans loved watching these cars race.

Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  2. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Shouldn't that be white?

3. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Was the frame of the original white?

4. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

I'm pretty sure most of them were I can go look. He's pulling the body(when it warms up) and I am thinking it was in places. Or contact George? Since it went to a "team" that raced it it's hard to say who did what.

5. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I guess that's the difference between a tribute car and a replica. I had a race car that was clean and shiny on the bottom once and I spent way too much time under the car cleaning.....this one is going to be black, frame and under body. No mirrors at car shows for this one.
    motor.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    dan31 and AHotRod like this.
  6. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Straight from George... As for the sedan deliveries undercarriage, it was mostly flat black. Engine and engine compartment were also black. I didn't spend my limited funds on show but instead all on go. Pretty fancy schmancy cars are nice but that doesn't get you into the winners circle.

loudbang likes this.
  7. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Cool that's saves time and money! were the engine and engine compartment also FLAT black? or more satin like?

8. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I think satin would be a safe bet. Jenkins painted his engines black and factory fenderwells were a satin, I believe.

9. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Kickinasphalt please share some photos when Scott gets underway with the original. A bit off topic, but growing up I was always a Jenkins fan. For a birthday gift one of my friends wife coaxed Bill into wearing one of my t-shirts. It's been proudly displayed on the garage wall ever since.
    grumpy.jpg

10. mutant55

mutant55

Cool thread, I am subscribed. I previously raced NHRA Super Stock (up to about 2004) and cost of fuel, entry fees, and hotel bills was one of the major factors along with being treated as "filler" by the sanctioning body, so I am with you 100% on how and why you got where your going. And, I also did the same thing as far as your thoughts were when you started looking for a new hobby, but I DID find that 55 Chevy 210, AND about a year later a 55 Sedan Delivery so we are on very similar paths (I am just twice as stupid I guess!). Both of my cars need metal work, but that body of yours is beautiful! Enjoy the build, do it how YOU want it, and please keep us all updated.

11. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Will do he was happy about the flat/satin black as that is what was going on first as a rust preventative anyway

12. Hydrophobia Delivery

Hydrophobia Delivery

Now this is cool!! I can't imagine any " haters", this is just gonna be a cool tribute. Whether it makes York or not, you may want to be there for that and/ or the " Big Go at Beaver" springs on Sunday this year. Junior Stockers will have our own eliminator. You can watch the competition for next year when the car does make it appearance at York.. Congrats, this will be fun and not subject to bi weekly rule changes....

13. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

What is the story with the 64 Mercury in the photo? PM if deemed off topic thanks!

14. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

It belonged to a young guy and he sold it for a Demo derby car. It had actually sat to long(I Know the guy who bought it). The frame was roached from sitting to long. it had mice in it BAD and their nest's/ remnants held moisture and destroyed it.

15. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

The 57 Olds rear is in. My buddy Bill had a set of Caltacs off of his old Nova stocker and with a few modifications, they’re on. I may make a set of slapper bars for it if these just don’t fit the look, but I’ve used Caltracs before and was always happy on how they performed. So far Bill has offered a motor, Caltracs and hopped up the Powerglide for the project….Thanks Bill!
    reara.jpg
    rear.jpg

Kevs56 likes this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

loudbang likes this.
  17. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Minor update. Driveline is complete, motor is primed, valves set, needs a carb, starter and go juice and it should run. 95% of the welding is done. Need to replace windshield roof support due to critter damage. Bottom and firewall is painted and the body will go on the chassis this weekend and we'll start sanding mud.
    t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

18. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

The body is back on the frame and secure ready to start body work.
    body1.jpg
    body.jpg
    When mounting the tank, I found a couple door strikers at our local Fleet Farm that worked perfect for insulating pads for the tank straps. 1-1/2" wide and .050" thick with a self adhesive strip...and only 2 bucks a piece.

body3.jpg
    body2.jpg
    Might take on the roll bar this week, but for now, I can't find a 9/16" boxend....it might be time to clean the garage.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Kevs56 and loudbang like this.
  19. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I've fought with the idea of putting a roll bar in this thing, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a good idea. I had it all laid out on the floor and just about started making the bends and at the last minute I decided to change the design and go with a (squarer) design to match a 60's style bar. I know, whos going to know the difference, but sometimes I think too much.
    bar5.jpg
    After all the welding and grinding on the floor, I just couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in the floor to weld the bar to the frame. The rule book says cars with frames shall have the roll bar welded or bolted to the frame. I'm making some outriggers that will weld to the frame and the bar will bolt through the floor as a mounting point. That's todays project so more detail on that later.
    bar6.jpg

Kevs56 and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Here's what the outriggers look like for the roll bar.
    out.jpg
    Everything for the roll bar is 1-3/4" X .134" tubing. There may be a little flex in the floor but with the polyurethane body bushings, I think it will be minimal. The roll bar adds a little piece of mind as far as safety goes, plus it should stiffen up the chassis a little and aid in performance. I'll tackle the side bars once the seat brackets are fabbed.

21. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Another hand me down.....my friend Eric updated the fuel system in his race car so he dropped off his Holley black pump and regulator the other night and donated it to the project........THANKS Eric!
    Welded a couple 5/16" bolts to the frame and mounted the pump on the frame behind the tank.. I'll open up the drain plug and pull fuel off of the bottom of the tank.
    pump1.jpg pump2.jpg

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Looking good sir. Keep on truckin'.

23. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I don't think it will pass tech if you draw off the bottom on your race car. Gary

24. Pie Wagon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hollywood knights Lol

25. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thanks, never thought of that. I have the original sender in the tank, but was concerned about the pump pulling the fuel. I think I'll hook it to the sender and do a pump test.

26. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Sticking to the plan.....although I did see this artist rendering of a proposes Tokyo Rose in the Jr. Stocker thread and it did have me thinking for awhile.
    Thanks for scanning (Junior Stocker).
    Jr_%20Stock%20build%20part%206-2_zpsfbor8qgd.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the just wondering department... what was the reason "Tokyo Rose" was chosen for the name of the first car? I can't think of a good reason (perhaps the paint color?) as the persona of Tokyo Rose was, dare I say it, a bad thing. Google it. For all you too young to remember, she was an English speaking Japanese radio propaganda machine during WWII - playing American pop songs on the radio while trying to lower American servicemen's morale in the Pacific. Was there a better reason for the car's name? Gary

loudbang, Kevs56 and GreenMonster48 like this.
  28. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

From Bob Rice on the Jr. Stocker thread.... George said the car was supposed to have turned out orange and was going to be named "Big Orange" but the paint turned out to be rose colored, hence the name.

29. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

My last race car was a tube chassis mid-year Corvette........a little cramped for an old fat guy. This thing is more comfortable than the couch at TV time. A little welding and the cage will be done. Time for a beer.
    cage.jpg

30. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Still doing body work...you know, put it on, sand it off, put it on, sand it off....but we're getting close. Hope to have some color on it before the end of June.
    bod.jpg
    bod1.jpg
    bod3.jpg

volvobrynk and II FUNNY like this.