Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How rare is a 55 GMC 2nd series large window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Apr 11, 2015.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Just talking to someone else today and was telling me my GMC is rare. A great friend told me not to sell it to hold on to it. It's not for sale just curious. IMG_0755MA31850928-0001.JPG

2. It's a cool truck but not really that rare. BTW, that's a '59 Chevy bed on it. That side trim on the bed is kind of rare. One year only.

3. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I know it's a different bed Thought it was a 58/59 Thanks for the info about the trim. I bought the truck cuz I that it was cool. Not hoping it was rare. Was just curious.

4. odass

odass
    from se ok

Sure don't see many around here, nice truck!

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Yeah they are pretty common, especially around where you live. I think you should consider letting my help get it out of your neighborhood.;)

Nice Truck!

6. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I think I'll keep it awhile more. But thank you anyway LOL

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im not a g.m.guy but Ive always liked 55 thru 57 chevy/gmc trucks. Nice ride.

hotrodA likes this.
  8. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice truck, is it a hydramatic? That would make it a little more harder to find

9. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

No column 3 speed with factory overdrive

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I don't know if it is just by coincident or not, but my neighbour just imported the same truck as yours from the US. It is a big back window truck , with the same box , even the chrome . The truck and box are in original paint and match, came from factory with 265 v8 ,3 speed with overdrive , radio , 2 sunvisers
    and a few other options I cant recall right now. I too figured it was the wrong box ,but now I have to wonder !!!

11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I think it's relatively rare, with the big back window....I had a big-window 56' GMC 1/2 ton and the local car dealership always wanted me to sell it to them, because of that big back window! Mine had the hydramatic trans, with the 326 Pontiac engine...that thing was scary fast! However, the hydramatic trans can be a bugger finding the seals if you ever rebuild one, or can find one....so, a column shift might be easier to deal with.....good luck finding a back-half box for it...nice truck, wish I still had mine. My friend, who had a 55' Chevy pickup, always thought a GMC of the same year was the better truck...I think I tend to agree in my opinion.....mine had the long bed, and just don't see them much anymore....I've never seen a fleetside pickup bed on mid 50's GMC's, and always thought they were the outer-fender type, with the little running board seperating the cab from the rear fenders....interesting:)....nice truck!

12. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

The GMC pickup that is rare is the '55-'57 GMC Suburban which was the GMC version of the Chevy Cameo

13. Your friend's truck is not likely wearing the original paint unless by some amazing chance someone found a '59 box in exactly the same color as his '55. The Fleetside bed did not come out until the '58 year model and the chrome bedside trim did not come out until the '59 year model. Sometime in the last 55+ years, somebody put a later model box on it. Simple as that. A lot of parts swapping can happen in that many decades.
    When I first read your post I wondered if your friend's truck might actually be a 58-59 with a '55 front clip but the fact that it has a 265 makes that seem less likely since the 265 was replaced by the 283 in 1957, but who knows? A 265 could end up in a '59, just not from the factory.

14. Oh, I'd love to have me a '57 GMC Suburban. A very sexy truck IMHO.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

We ought to come up with a term for this style bed......I know, how about...."STEP-SIDE"!!:D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

The shop truck at the gas station I worked at in my teens had a 1959 GMC 100 Deluxe, big window, Fleetside, long bed, 336 V8, 3-speed column-shift, factory power steering. It was a cool truck. It was what I learned to drive a stick-shift. Cool truck.

17. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Oh yeah....''step-side'' is the correct term...geez, I think my 'mind lapse' is getting a bit longer than normal:confused:....I only drove that 56' GMC 15 years and couldn't come up with anything but 'space'...:rolleyes:....thanks!

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it is rare because there are not many that have the later fleetside bed installed. Cool even if not factory rare as first thought.

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Just havin' fun with ya, Rainman1959! I know I get those "moments, too" -> the other day, I could not remember the name of those red plastic cups....."SOLO"...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  20. Budget36

Budget36

I also wonder did the GMC's even sport the Chevrolet engines?

21. GMC trucks did not come from the factory with 265 engines. the 55 GMC V8 was a 287 Pontiac engine.

22. neighbours truck is a Chevrolet !!

23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know Its fun to make jokes about people saying the wrong things in the right ways.

What do you call one with two running boards appose to one with 4, separated cab and truck running boards. Step side and stepside?

How do you designate one with a side mounted spare, appose to one with out?
    Stepside and stepside+?

Feel free to make fun, but remember I don't know the answer. And remember I'm not making fun of you, I even liked your post, an I really likes to know!

24. Your post stated my neighbor just imported the same truck. A Chevrolet and GMC are not the same truck.

25. haychrishay

haychrishay

Saxman ,there was a 57...said it was a 57, but it had 55-6 grille, Suburban on ebay last week. it was in Phoenix and it was a fresh truck with updated drivetrain and had a buy it now of 37K. GMC's either had a 6 cyl or Pontiac v8. here is a picture of the 56 I had

Attached Files:

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I know I'm dancing with chainsaws here, but in a side shot, it's an easy mistake to make. At least to me, and except from hood, grill, dash, tailgate drivetrain, and what is between the longditial frame rails they are the same. Most other parts interchange included bet, cab, doors, fenders, glass bench and wheels etc?

I hope power quoting Dale Earnhardt will give me a better chance of surviving.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes (at least from what I see around the PNW) I think GMC made a lot higher percentage of big window 55/59 trucks than Chevy did. A good number of the GMC's you see around here from those years are big windows while a low percentage of TF Chevys are big windows. Cool truck that looks great with the fleetside box on it and that color.

28. you forgot the GMC has a different radiator. and the GMC don't have a serial vin number on the frame. ive got a 55 GMC with a Pontiac 287 and three speed trans.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's only rare if it's not a rusted piece of shit, all those '55-'59 GMC, Chevy's are a master at hiding it, JMO!

30. my 55 GMC don't hide its rust Plainly visible. You open the doors they sag a foot. gotta lift them up to close them. freddy flintstone floor pans. Nothing a talented Hamber with 55 gallons of bondo couldn't easily fix. The front clip isn't that rusty for some reason. Actually im gonna junk the GMC. I want to put the engine in a 66 GMC Pk

Attached Files: