Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Prepping heads for a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Apr 15, 2015.

1. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Hello all,

I've searched, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for... heres the scoop.

Put a rebuilt '52 Mercury flathead in my '49 Ford. Long story short, one of the heads cracked and I replaced them with Edelbrock finned aluminum heads on it. One of the pistons detonated in the block, became molten, and has the block frozen shut.

I have recently come into another rebuilt flathead, and I want to use the Edelbrock aluminum heads with it. They don't appear to be destroyed at all, but what should I do to prep them to install on the new motor? Because of the piston detonating in the block, will I have any problems doing this? What works best to clean the aluminum heads?

Sorry if this is vague, or is obvious to anyone, just trying to keep my '49 on the road.

Thanks!

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

No visible damage to the chambers ? Dye check & straight edge/feeler gauge. We won't go more than .002 here. Next, w/ no gasket, stick some modeling clay on pistons. Lay heads on block, then rotate a few turns. If things clear, measure the clay ... some blocks have been machined many times.

3. alchemy

alchemy

One man's detonation is another man's "eh, it's OK". How about you show us some pictures of the chamber that covered the exploded piston? If there's any marks left it may require some massaging before use.

4. plan9

plan9

Pictures say a thousand words.

5. Also use the clay to check the valve to head clearances. A stock cam shouldn't give you any interference, but it never hurts to check...

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Woa, detonated piston molten , frozen in the block etc. I think we need more info here. These things do not happen for no reason. I think we need some picture if possible and a summary of parts and a history of problems. The HAMB can help you.

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Pictures pictures:eek:! And rolled up little balls of aluminum foil is a lot easier to measure! Gary:)

8. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

I'm agreein' with kiwi 4d !

9. plan9

plan9

My motor ate a valve seat on 25%, it will clean up:
    [​IMG]

10. Get in touch with Ol Ron or Walt Dupont on the ford barn. You might also do a search over there as there was a thread on just such an issue. I think it was on the barn. Sounds like too much advance & not enough clearance.

11. Ok I am evidently out of the know here what exactly is a detonated piston? Is this like the piston exploded or ?????

12. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

The car is at another garage right now, I should be picking it up and bringing it home tomorrow. I'll take pictures ASAP.