Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

View attachment 2878702 View attachment 2878699
    I also read somewhere that the 1958 to 62 columns are 1 3/4 inches shorter than the 56-7's. I moved mine to where I felt comfortable, but not sure if I made it longer or shorter.

2. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Great suggestions guys...thanks. I think I might shorten the steering column when I install an axle & will look into a smaller diameter steering wheel. I'm not a very big guy so I think the seat cushion will be OK. Got to drive it around a good bit today & the car is surprisingly tight to be 58 years old.

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Was this the same Corvette owned by Al Bowes back in the day?

Jimbo

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rat Sass, your 57 is right on. Although I am real partial to 61/62s myself here is my all time favorite drag Corvette. This was 1966 at Motor City Dragway with Dave Kanners driving. At this time it was a 427 with a four speed. It later had a 727 torqueflite (68) and then a clutchflite (69). Every run this car made seem to be right on the money. Kanners was a real good driver as well, although he and the owner of the car did not always see eye to eye so he was not the go-to driver all the time.

My buddy had to run him at Milan and had not seen him run before and I had told my buddy he was formidable. We watched from the fence as Kanners stood it up on the bumper, came down and pulled it back up again and down in rapid succession, almost like he hadn't lifted and still ripped off a 10.60. The car seemed to run like a Swiss watch. Cars that ran out of Midwest were some of the best.

[​IMG]

Rat Sass, Baron, Paul B and 1 other person like this.
  5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Wrong pic. Here is Kanners in 66. The pic above I believe is with Bob Schaeffer driving I believe in 67.
    [​IMG]

Rat Sass, Baron, Paul B and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Not sure. Still trying to contact a guy in Oklahoma that owned it 38 years. Would love to know the history behind this car.

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Twolane 56 sent this picture to me yesterday. Great shot leaving the line at Epping.

Hayseed (2) rs.jpg

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron nice shot indeed. With the slicks I am guessing 68 maybe? Your project is looking good too. The weather is finally turning and hopefully is here to stay so we can get the hot rods out.

Rat Sass likes this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

If you haven't had your hot rod out yet, your late LOL. Been driving mine for about 3 weeks

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Got them out today for the first time. The weather has not been that nice and there has been tons of work around the house/horse barn/pastures/fencing etc, after this winter. Nice day though and my avatar car put a smile on my face when I stretched it's legs.

Rat Sass likes this.
  11. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

That is a great shot!

12. phat rat

phat rat

I understand about the horse issues. I used to raise horses usually had around 12-15 head. Spring brings a lot of work. Nice you had time yesterday to get some miles of smiles

Rat Sass likes this.
  13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love this.

Rat Sass and Baron like this.
  14. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Baron what kind of steering wheel is that on your car? Also if you don't mind me asking did the radio delete plate come with the car or is that something you added? My car has a Wonderbar radio that I would like to put up somewhere for safekeeping (& to allow me a place to put a couple toggle switches) & lastly, is that a 4-speed? Looks like the shifter is in the traditional location.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The steering wheel came from CON2R ( http://www.con2r.com/corvettewheel-c1/ ). I didn't want a leather covered one, and this was the least expensive one I found. The rim is a little fatter than stock , but not terrible. I bought the radio delete plate off eBay. The Corvette ones are priced crazy, but the 55 -57 Chevy passenger cars look the same and bolt right in at about 1/3 the cost. The Muncie is in the stock location with a Hurst made for the C1's.

loudbang and Rat Sass like this.
  16. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Thanks!

17. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Got to talk to the previous, previous owner of the car today & he said he bought it in the L.A. California area some 25 years ago & that it was an old Gasser. Couldn't remember the name on the car but said it was purple. Said he saw it run with a straight axle but the stock front was under it when he bought it.

Not much but at least it's something to go on.

18. Randy G.

Randy G.

I just found this site. I've been trying to locate the former Bob Pickett/Larry Martin/ Vicious Vette. It was sold back in 1979 and was run by the buyer after a repaint for a short period of time.

One thing missing in jimdillon's post was that Bill Hardy actually purchased Bob Picket's Corvette, painted it pearl orange, called it "Quik-n-Evil" and ran it with an injected big block Chevy and a clutch turbo for a short period of time. Larry Martin bought it from Bill Hardy less engine and transmission.

One of the last times I drove it, it broke the welds off the the right side ladder bar about 1/2 track (I was in the left lane) went completely sideways, shot across the center line on two wheels into the right lane where I almost plowed into Dick Krieger's econo dragster. That's when I ordered a new A/Altered chassis from New Visions Race Cars.

I still have a love for the C1 Corvettes, though. Here's a picture of our all original 1954.

[​IMG]

elgringo71, Rat Sass and loudbang like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Randy thanks for posting. It is always beneficial to have people associated with these early Vette drag cars add to our discussion when possible. There are some of us that are truly passionate about the cars and the era. If you ever have the urge to give us a little insight or interesting anecdotes on Vicious Vette feel free to post.

As one who has spent a great deal of time trying to track down cars and history I wish you the best on finding the car. You kind of wonder with such an altered car it would have made it difficult to return to NCRS standards. Hopefully it is out there.-Jim

Rat Sass likes this.
  20. Here is a picture from a Ford FE site. SOHC powered. Looks to be called Paperboy.
    I checked this thread and didn't see it previously pictured 57 SOHC Vette.jpg

21. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Ran across this pic taken sometime in the '60's at the Winternationals in Pamona. Car belonged to Fred Cattaneo. According to the caption, it was campaigned as a B/Gasser w/a Hilborn injected 427. It was painted purple. A couple things really jumped out at me when I saw the pic...if you look at the traction/ladder bars they are almost identical to mine. Biggest thing is the driver side header exited through the lower portion of the fender. While underneath my car today, I noticed the lower part of the driver side fender had been repaired! I know I'm reaching here but could it possibly be?!?! I'm gonna keep digging at this....

Attached Files:

• car2.jpg
      car2.jpg
      File size:
      117.6 KB
      Views:
    • car3.jpg
      car3.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  22. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

This is the same car earlier before the purple paint...

Attached Files:

23. vetrod62

vetrod62

Don't if they are the same car, but notice how the front and rear axles are moved forward, much like my red car.

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Keep digging

Rat Sass likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rat Sass, you may be onto something. The four pictures you posted are the most common pics of the car. Cattaneo posted something years ago on Byron Stack's website which you probably read. The bars under the car are not all that common and when you add in the color it may be the car. They had to do something with all of these great cars other than just ball them up. It would be great if you could document it as that car. Great to actually preserve some of this old Vette drag history.

Rat Sass and enloe like this.
  26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be looking for the slightest traces of purple paint.....

Rat Sass likes this.
  27. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

28. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

I will! ;)

29. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Couldn't agree more.

30. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

That's a great idea!