Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Calling All Coupesters! Let's See 'Em!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by missysdad1, Sep 28, 2014.

1. krkx93

krkx93

Here's mine coming together ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428422304.631993.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428422322.466121.jpg

In search of 28-29 front subrail extensions

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

You'll either love me or hate me for this: Putting a SBF in a Model A cannot be done without one of the following - cutting the firewall and setting the engine back, using a short water pump, or moving the radiator shell forward.

Coupesters have enough proportion problems without intentionally adding more, which rules out the option it appears you have chosen - moving the radiator shell forward.

Now is the time to cut the motor loose and move it back so that the radiator shell can mount in the stock location so that the finished car will be proportionally correct. Otherwise it is doomed to a lifetime of awkwardness...IMHO.

3. krkx93

krkx93

No worries my friend. That problem has already been tended too also. There is a cadillac 390 at the machine shop currently being built to take the fords place

don colaps, volvobrynk and missysdad1 like this.
  4. krkx93

krkx93

The grille will be staying exactly where it is and I fit it all without recessing the firewall. Note. 3 inches have been sectioned out of the doors making the body shorter. Stumped me for a couple minutes. But nothing a little thinking outside the box couldn't fix. Those are actually 32 roadster doorskins that have been modified as well

5. F&J

F&J

Looks good to me. Yes, I'd maybe have a different motor to suit myself, but the old builds, especially 50s , were not 100% proportioned masterpieces. That's what gives them identity. :)

don colaps and volvobrynk like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

oops, missed the upcoming Cad motor.... you got it togther now..:)

I like the way it sits, wheelbase looks good, and I don't mind the radiator sitting forward if the Cad also needs it.

7. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

meduim stuby 2.jpg
    does mine count ? it was a four door sedan Studebaker now its a roadster :)

WC145, JimSibley, Spoggie and 2 others like this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't mind the doors and quarters being different, I can live with the post area looking different, but this is the only place where I look a it and go , that's a coupster.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428432529.351981.jpg

But all in all, they are nice cars, and if you need the extra room, perfect. But if you don't need it, I would work on that sail panel.
    But I really like your car, and if you plan to do the seat in something else, I could fall in love with it.

waxhead likes this.
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yup, shortening the body was an option that didn't even cross my mind! And, I wasn't bad-mouthing the Ford motor, it was what I thought was a lengthened engine compartment that bothered me. Still does, but that's only my very narrow opinion.

As has been mentioned already on this thread, many of the early gow jobs were not even close, proportion-wise, and yet had a charm all their own. You'll get no argument from me there. In fact, the late '40s and early '50s hot rods as pictured in the Don Montgomery history of hot rodding books are my favorites of all.

My own car was originally built with the hood opening about 1 1/2" longer than stock, but I have yet to figure out how it was done. Probably by stretching the frame forward of the firewall, but I won't be sure until I strip the paint and bondo off the frame. Eventually I'll fix it, but that's a project for next year. This summer I'm going to drive the wheels off it and just enjoy it.

10. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

4 7 2015 (5)2.jpg Iwas liking not having to cover the seat but it might happen.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  11. titus

titus

The early version he posted it was finished also minus some guts, so the version you posted now is just another version with interior, i little to many add ons for my taste and others im sure too but thats whats great about the car hobby.

12. titus

titus

here s0me pics of a coupster i built made from mostly left overs too.

cpstroa1.JPG cpstroa2.JPG dddd 001-1.jpg 1111.jpg 4.jpg

WC145, dubie, Sprout and 3 others like this.
  13. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Finished it and drove it all weekend.

Attached Files:

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nice looking car, Pooch! Enjoy!

15. F&J

F&J

Quote Titus: "
    here s0me pics of a coupster i built made from mostly left overs too. "

Too much :) Jeff, I was going from the last post, heading up to the older posts.... I saw the interior first, and said to myself; "that looks like something Stitchbitch would like" LoL...

cool car

16. Seret Speed Shop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before:
    [​IMG]

WC145, Ryan H, MO_JUNK and 3 others like this.
  17. seatex

seatex

I LOVE THIS THREAD! If I had seen this before, I wouldn't have gotten in so much trouble over the "real" model A roadster thread! (well, then again...............)

missysdad1 and volvobrynk like this.
  18. missysdad1

missysdad1

There were only a couple of real hard nose guys complaining on that thread and I think they were just having a bad day. My post got bounced too. The moderators are under some pretty intense pressure to keep controversy to a minimum.

There's no doubt that coupesters are a legitimate hot rod body style that are at least kissing cousins to roadsters. All areas of hot rodding are rife with examples of coupes cum roadsters, most especially in the hotly contested competition venues like dirt track roadster racing and the early days at the dry lakes.

Be that as it may, there are a lot of really nice hot rod coupesters running around and currently under construction. Let's see some more of 'em, guys!

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car looks much more like a roadster than a converted coupe. Hope to see you at LSRU in April.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think your car looks great either way. I'll see you at LSRU. I will be in one of so many red roadsters that always attend.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The panel above the deck lid is much shorter on a coupe than a roadster. That is usually the give-a-way. Also, the quarter panels between the door and rear fender well are longer on roadsters than coupes, which goes along with shorter doors on roadsters.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Satan, that little Stude should have been offered by the factory. Hope to see you at LSRU.

24. seatex

seatex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can ya'll tell me how you are doing the windshield? Are you modifying the A pillar base to accept roadster stanchions? I have considered a pie cut at the bottom to lean mine back, but this looks much cleaner IMO.

missysdad1 likes this.
  25. missysdad1

missysdad1

That car was built by H.A.M.B. member thirtytwo who has posted earlier on this thread. Might as well ask him since he did the work. Good luck!

26. To me, the big line from a coupster looking good or not is the windshield. If the builder takes the time to fit a roadster windshield to it, they look good, but if its the straight up and down coupe windshield posts and frame, I've yet to see one I actually like. It just looks sorta halfassed I guess.

seatex and missysdad1 like this.
  27. missysdad1

missysdad1

I don't think anybody would argue your point about windshields, and there's also the issue of capping the doors and the sail panel area behind the seat. The thrust of this thread is to help guys who want to create a good coupester to learn how it can be done right.

It's also a place to show examples of well-done coupesters to serve as encouragement. There will be those who disagree, of course, and that's fine, but there will also be a lot more who've always wanted a roadster but never quite dared to make one out of a coupe or sports coupe body for fear of creating an ugly car instead of a smooth, clean design.

We've already got some great examples and some bits of information that will help keep those who are doing it for the first time to keep from making unfixable mistakes. Titus's example shows that a super coupester can be made from a body that might otherwise have been thrown away as not worth the trouble to fix.

Coupesters can be cool and affordable at the same time. Let's see some more guys!

patmanta and seatex like this.
  28. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Alex's (metalshapes) is pure Bad Assness!

2 4 13 012.JPG 2 4 13 014.JPG

hotrodfil, Jeff34, poboyross and 3 others like this.
  29. seatex

seatex

Amen, brother. That has always been the issue with my car (other than the owner). Several other things, at night the reflection makes it look like a car is coming at you, not behind you, the airflow is horrendous and you get the "Alfalfa Split" tilted 45 degrees, and short of mounting a windshield wiper to the back of my head, the rain comes in from the back, straight into the dash causing that not so fresh feeling...................

30. Our '32 , last on the street in 1973 . Pretty much just as it was back then , including wheels and tires .
    I just can't bring myself to change a thing except for an upcoming switch to (2) 97's
    I feel honored to be the current curator and choose to preserve it as it was .

Attached Files:

WC145, 30tudor, Nailhead A-V8 and 2 others like this.