Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Yep! He's a walking encyclopedia on Hot Rods. I think he has a story for every day of his life.

32STUPRES likes this.
  2. Racer 56

Racer 56
    from Iowa

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Wayne Johnson. I have (5) Midgets, (1) Sprint car, (1) Super Modified, and (1) Indy Car. I will be posting pictures as soon as I can master it. Thank for allowing me to join you.

BZNEIL and carl s like this.
  3. Don't believe I've ever seen a trailer laid out quite like that. Makes for a nice compact trailer for hauling a sprint car. :cool:

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Hi Wayne, been a year or more since our paths have crossed.

You should get with the Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread as well when you get to posting pictures.

Do I remember you have a Trostle midget that Chuck Snyder used to own? Chuck passed a month or so ago.

5. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

6. TDBV

TDBV

7. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

He's also a great friend of mine!! He's a walking encyclopedia of early Fords and has owned his '34 roadster since 1951 and I still stand that it has the best top I've ever seen on a chopped roadster of any model! Just wish he would change his hard headed mind and at least come back to the Frog Follies in Evansville, IN....Joe BEST TOP EVER! BOB GASPEREC 07.jpg

Montana1 likes this.
  8. You won't believe it, but those rails on that trailer are from an old school bus frame! He used to be a bus mechanic and got one when they de-comissioned it and made that trailer for the car.

He heated it with a rose bud torch and bent it over a barrel. Unbelievable! He said that's the way they used to do it. The guy is a GENIUS!

9. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

I am looking for some help identifying this midget race car. It looks like a Kurtis, but I don't know that much about any of these types of cars. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

10. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes, the nose looks like it could be a Kurtis or a copy. Removing the items that are entombing the car and providing more pictures from different angles, under the hood and the frame kick up from inside or underneath would be a next step.

11. If it's a Kurtis, there will be a frame number stamped on the main frame tube in the cowl area, or on the frame tube behind the tail hoop in the fuel tank area. My Kurtis had the number, 275, stamped both places. Is there a little Kurtis Kraft brass plaque on the dash?

12. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Not only are there items entombing this vintage midget as you can see in the picture, but this thing is sitting in a basement with no egress to ground level! We will have to disassemble it to get it up the stairs and out of it's "tomb". Been down there many, many decades! I like Barn Finds, but Basement Finds are cool as well. Just harder to load on your trailer...

deuce354 likes this.
  13. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Johnny White drove #32

14. ...a few stand outs at Amelia Island this year.... DSC06276.jpg DSC06282.jpg DSC06274.jpg DSC06275.jpg DSC06262.jpg DSC06263.jpg DSC06270.jpg DSC06271.jpg

Hotdoggin DaddyO and wicarnut like this.
  15. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That 99 has such a presence. Might be my new favorite roadster! I really like the hood hinge detail over the cam covers. Such great craftsmanship.

gearguy likes this.
  16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Stand outs is right! Thanks Gary

17. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

The engine in the 34 car done by Bill Akin...car restored by Phil Reilly and owned by Joe Freeman...great job by all! Joe

Just thought about it and Bill Akin also did the Offy for the #99 Belanger Spl....Joe

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The #34 Auto Shippers car was Rutt's "comeback" car for 1954. Supposedly, the owner offered him a extra $1000 a lap for every lap he could lead. Ended up burning off the RR and spinning out trying but still finished a fine 4th. rutt-34-a.JPG rutt-34-b.JPG rutt-34-c.JPG rutt-34-d.jpg

Dean Lowe and Black vette 59 like this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am wondering about the "hairpin style" front axle wishbones on the #10 Bear car. Were those type used that far back in time? I ask because I chose to use that style on my replica and it would be nice to know some cars back then ('30s?) had them instead of the more conventional split wishbones. Maybe it was a later upgrade on this car, yes/no?

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know about the #10 car, but they were available from the Frontenac catalog in 1929 for the T type axles. front.JPG

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Rootie. I find the other speed parts pictured also interesting - especially since it was so long ago. I always assumed most running gear came from the junkyards.

22. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

BZNEIL...I can't remember any red trim around the gold fleck paint on any Belanger cars. What do you think

23. Jack Crawford

Jack Crawford

24. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Good to see that you are on here Mr. Crawford. I have the chassis and some body panels, and plan on bringing it back to life as a champ car. My brother had explained that you may have purchased this car from someone in Anderson, IN but the name of that person may be lost. So if some remembrance comes to you, we would be anxious to hear.

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: Historic Champ/Indycar Group Dist. List. (All addresses hidden for security)
    From: Carl Schulz Indio, CA (Forwarding Info at request of Pam Shatraw, SVRA Oval Events)
    Last Updated from Pam at SVRA 12:00 May 4, 2015
    ‘TWO’ SVRA SANCTIONED BACK-TO-BACK OVAL EVENTS UPCOMING AT AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY
    JUNE 19-21, 2015
    JUNE 25-27, 2015

Call Pam Shatraw SVRA Oval Events at 650 799 0826: for details, questions, updates, entry forms, registration, and event information. Talk with Pam regarding push start accommodations.

SVRA HISTORIC SPORTS CAR FESTIVAL JUNE 19 – 21, 2015
    TENTATIVE INDY/CHAMPCAR OVAL EXHIBITION TRACK SCHEDULE
    Thursday June 18
    12:00 Trailer Parking and unloading – see Pam.
    Friday June 19
    08:30 Mandatory Drivers Meeting
    12:05 Group E Session #1 on Oval for Historic Champ/Indycars
    4:35 Group E Session #2 on Oval for Historic Champ/Indycars
    Saturday June 20
    11:55 Group 9 Oval Exhibition Laps for Historic Champ/Indycars
    4:40 Group 9 Oval Exhibition Laps for Historic Champ/Indycars
    Sunday June 21
    08:30 Group 9 Oval Exhibition Laps for Historic Champ/Indycars
    12:30 Group 9 Oval Exhibition Laps for Historic Champ/Indycars
    OVAL EXHIBITION SHOW
    AUTO CLUB SPEEDWAY DURING THE VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES
    JUNE 25-27, 2015
    INDY AND CHAMPIONSHIP CARS ARE INVITED TO APPLY
    The on-track Oval Exhibition is organized by SVRA and Presented by Victory Lane Magazine and the HCICA.
    The schedule is still being worked on and will be posted at the SVRA website SVRA.COM under ‘coming events.’
    Overview of the event includes: Paddock Garages for each entrant, parties, autograph sessions, and more.
    Thursday June 15: Noon start registration car unloading (see Pam for Garage Assignment)

June 2015 MAVTV 500 INDYCAR weekend, June 26-27 on track ‘preliminary’ schedule
    Friday June 26: Historic Cars Track Time:
    -10:40 - 11:00
    1:45 - 2:05
    5:45-6:05
    Saturday June 27 Historic Cars Track Time
    9:00 Am - 9:20
    11:45-12:05 - pre race show, two side by side pace laps.
    IndyCar race starts 1:30

Pam is working on the potential for those participating at both back-to-back events of being able to leave your car and trailer at the track in the interim between the two.
    Call Pam Shatraw SVRA Oval Events at 650 799 0826: for details, questions, updates, entry forms, registration, and event information.

26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Love looking at the photo's of cars that became led gents back in the day.
    The style and engineering that went into these cars is mind boggling and they have a classic look to them that will live forever.
    Jimbo
    McQurk Sprint Car.jpg

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

twenty three days without a post on this thread, ouch

Well here is a jewel that towed in to Anderson, IN and Indianapolis Hoosier Hundred last week all the way from Rhode Island! I had seen this car before several years ago when it was white and totally ignored it, not realizing it's heritage.

After posting this, a question was raised as to the accuracy of what I hade posted based on conversations and documentation at the track regarding the car's history. For that reason I have now deleted that information and will attempt to get clarification.

Jeff Waples restored 1948 KK strteched midget Hart Fullerton.jpg JeffWaples restored 48KK stretched midget ex 110 Offy SC.jpg []

Photos are from the Midwest Oldtimers Vintage Race Car Club website

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Dean Lowe likes this.
  28. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

The Hart Fullerton car was not a stretched Midget, but a purpose built Champ Car, and its engine not a supercharged 110 but a new 176-ish CID engine based on a '220' block.

Black vette 59 likes this.
  29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Rutt in the H-F car circa 1951. Capture rutt-3.JPG

Black vette 59 likes this.
  30. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Perhaps the problem is one of "communication". This restored car does not look at all like a Champ Car, in fact it does look like a stretched Midget, and perhaps it is. I don't think Fullerton ever ran a Sprint Car, but he definitely ran oodles of Midgets. Maybe someone else stretched one of those, and ran it with a supercharged 110?