Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Buick Century Need Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Root Beer Buick, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Root Beer Buick

Root Beer Buick
    from Dalton, GA

I wrecked Miss Molly yesterday on I 75, and never made it to the Coker Tire Cruise-in in Chattanooga. I need some help on which direction to go. Beyond the damage to the grill, bumper, hood, and fender, it has damage to the radiator, core support, and passenger door mounts at the cowl. The motor and rest of the drivetrain is OK. Also, the frame rails were not damaged. I either need to build it back(need parts car?) or sell it to someone who can. Or am I better off parting it out at this point. Please see pics and feel free to make suggestions. Thanks ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853624.536049.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853636.536699.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853649.086489.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853662.052777.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853676.453192.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428853688.402896.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Looks like a relatively easy fix to me...as long as the passenger cowl hasn't been pushed back. (door to quarter gap is a little tight so it might require a light pull on the cowl. but more likely it's the hinges/door frame that's tweaked) You got lucky. Door, fender, inner fender, core support, hood, grille, headlight, and small parts should get it up and going again. All but the door could be obtained from any Special or Century. The door of course would have to come from a 2-door hardtop model Special or Century. Super and Roadmaster stuff won't fit. Good luck...and count your blessings. It could have been much, much worse.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    bobg1951chevy likes this.
  3. Root Beer Buick

Root Beer Buick
    from Dalton, GA

Thanks. You're right, it could have been worse all the way around! I was running 80 in the fast lane and the truck in front of me locked his brakes down. There was Too much traffic to go right. As I headed for the emergency lane, so did he. Manual drums are no match against modern discs with ABS.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. missysdad1

missysdad1

How true! I run a Scarebird manual front disc conversion with an under-floor CPP Corvette-style master on my '55 Special which is a huge improvement. It's all pretty much bolt-in though you'll have to extend your master cylinder-to-pedal rod and make it adjustable. You might consider adding this kind of setup to your Century when you rebuild.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Glad to see the Buick took the damage and you are OK. I feel your pain for the 55, I love those cars and I would hate to see that nice a car parted out. I agree with Missysdad, parts are pretty easy to find for those cars and the repair shouldn't be to difficult. I know the stock brakes aren't up to moderen standards but I don't know if better brakes would have avoided that situation or not. Too many numb nut drivers our there that can't put there cell phones down long enough to pay attention to the road ahead! Good luck with what ever you decide to do but I hope you fix it, you know you would miss her.

6. Anna Rodriguez

Anna Rodriguez

Are you selling this car? Im interested. 214 769 8869

7. BJR

BJR

Fixing what you have would be way easier then starting over. If you have insurance they should pay to fix it. If not, pay a good body frame shop to pull the cowl if needed and start rounding up bolt on parts. Look at the crap other Hambers have started with and ended up with beautiful cars. You are way ahead of them to start with. Go for it!

8. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Glad to see you are here with he living remember cars can be rebuilt... I have a hood for a 55 Buick..I'm here in Norfolk, Va. straight no dents or holes light surface rust will let it go for $150.00 if you pick it up. You can call me John 757-513-3977

9. belair

belair

Ouch. I had a 55 ht. Glad you're ok. Fix that big ol girl.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of what may have to be pulled into place by a body shop on the cowl it's an unbolt the old stuff bolt on the new stuff project.
    Way back in 1967 I did almost the same damage to my 55 Special when a guy ran out in front of me and I broadsided him. Took my little brother with me to a wrecking yard and unbolted the nose off another Buick and took it back and put it on mine in about a day.
    After you get done dealing with the insurance I'd pull the nose off and see where I was at and go from there but to me that is far too nice a car to part out.

11. Sad to see the damage, but glad you're here to talk about it.

12. Isnt this an old post?Bruce.

13. I think she (Anna Rodriguez), started it up again because she wants to buy the car. OP doesn't seem active, so she should send him a personal message.

That car took a wallop

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. Maybe you ought to measure that frame a couple more times?
    Could be a game changer.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

80 in the fast lane in a 1955 car..nuff said.