Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes I did think long and hard about this mate, the advantage I had was the hub on my ARE's is much thicker than 3/8's I cant remember the dims now but it was something like nearly an inch thick., the bolts are tapped very deep into the hub and are 3/8" fine, there are 5 of them, all hi tensile ARP bolts.
    I spoke to a friend that has ARE spindle mounts on his daily Ranchero and he has never had a problem, so I thought I would give it a try but I do keep a close eye on the hub and associated parts.
    I was asked a while ago to do a disc setup on some magnesium 12 spokes (or were thet 10 spokes ?) but after I had a look at the hub I declined to do it as in my opinion there was insufficient meat on the hub.

2. nzsimon

nzsimon

Thanks for documenting it . Automotive art

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

While its been dead on here i've managed to get a lot of small updates on the Coupe done, I upgraded the brakes a while ago but found they needed a good hefty push on the pedal to lock them up, first thing was the master cylinder was replaced with a 1" bore Wilwood cylinder and this made a big difference but I still wasnt really happy as they still needed a good push on the pedal when street driving so I decided to go with a remote servo booster, the only problem was a blown motor doesn't make enough vacuum to power one, the answer was to fit an electric vacuum pump.

Looked at the various kits around and thought they all seem pretty expensive for what the are so had a hunt around on Ebay and come up with a pump and pressure switch for the princely sum of £20 ($30) I think its from a Volvo but they are all pretty much the same thing.
    The servo I had laying around, it was brand new but been sitting on my shelf for about 10 years, a bit crusty but it will clean up ok.

I mounted the pump in the trunk as I didn't know how noisy they were and there wasn't much space up front. The pump is mounted on 4 factory rubber mounts. The vacuum pipe runs through the floor and along the frame to the front mounted booster, its 1/2" rubber vacuum hose at the moment as thats all I had !!! But will replace it with 1/2" aluminium hard line later.
    A relay for the pump is mounted on the rear bulkhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The servo is mounted under the front of the drivers side fender on a couple of fabricated brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A clean up and a splash of satin black paint and it all looks pretty tidy.

[​IMG]

D-Russ and Jimmy Tee like this.
  4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

More info on that vakuum pump?
    I need one for a projekt I got on the back burner.

But it would fit perfect in there!

5. Your attention to detail is amazing. I love watching your builds. Thanks for taking the time to document everything.

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

As it says in the above post mate I got it off ebay but it looks very much like a Volvo pump, they are all basically the same thing.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Glad your enjoying it, thanks

8. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Very nice project Steve. The Willys looks great. Have you had a chance to run the car full out? Be waiting for your next post.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Season over till next year mate, but everything seems to be fine now so expecting to have a lot of fun next year.

10. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

We are all hoping your season is uneventful (as far as mechanical issues)... And very exciting as far as elapsed times is concerned.
    We all appreciate you sharing your build and fabrication skills! Your talent is inspiring!
    Thanks.

Scott

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Feeling dead chuffed this morning as I got invited to take my Willys gas coupe to display and run at Goodwood

D-Russ and Jimmy Tee like this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

dead chuffed? Translation please, for your followers across the pond:) Oh and congratulations on your invitation!

langy likes this.
  13. hasty

hasty

Congratulations!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Well pleased, 2 types of English spoken differently lol

15. World Famous! Congrats!!:D

I am sure we both get a kick out of each others expressions as us "newbies" continue to mangle the language. :)

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Congratulations Steve!

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate in looking forward to it

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate, i'm looking forward to it

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Vall I'm stoked but just found out it clashes with our Hotrod drags, I'm torn now !!!

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well that's sure a tough decision to choose from! Sounds like somebody didn't check their schedule before planning these two events!

21. Willys Charlotte Hall 15.jpg

drooled on this today at a local show.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What was he running for engine and trans Dave? Is that a clone, or a real deal survivor Willys?

23. Here goes my reputation!
    I didn't meet the owner. I didn't photo or pay much attention to engine. Sorry. Sad when I think back on it.
    Manual trans.
    Here are a few more picks. Tough to say if it was a survivor or not. I would lean not. 009.jpg 010.jpg 016.jpg 024.jpg

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not surprised, it's lovely

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Vall the Goodwood event is massive compared to our Hotrod drags, I don't think they were to bothered it clashed !!! It's like comparing the long beach swap to the Sema show, the Goodwood event is very up market.

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sometimes I think there might even be an effort to do competitive scheduling. Just to show who's the "boss".

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Steve--
    I vote Goodwood.
    Show them snobs what a real hot rod looks like!!!

28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

So what was the problem with the transmission?

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Does this transfer stress to the alternator mount between the engine and frame, effectively turning it in to a solid engine mount?

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I have hockey pucks in the mounts which are extremely hard rubber so movement is minimal , it's not been a problem.