Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race of Gentlemen, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Tedders

Tedders

Happy Sunday

I'm coming down from NB Canada staying at the esplanade motel. Anyone have any tips for parking trailers?

2. I see all of these projects, but when is the actual sign up deadline? Say, I were to get something done and ride over to the event, and you like it, would it be able to be entered?
    Just wondering...

3. Ben, the cutoff date is August 1st.
    Many will enter...few will be chosen....sigh...
    Being able to show up and run? Virtually impossible.
    Here's the official word, right from the Oilers' TROG page:

To enter, please email a detailed description of your machine with pictures to [email protected]. Overall appearance is important for your vehicle to be chosen. Cars and motorcycles that fit the look of racing vehicles from the early 1900's to the pre-war period have a greater chance of being selected. You may be asked to change your vehicle to better fit the look of the race. Space is limited and submissions are hand selected for their authenticity. Submissions are due by August 1, 2015.

4. cw

cw
    from Midland

Word is no trucks or sedans

5. Going to throw the questions out again to see if anyone knows the answer to either :):

1) I understand that parts need to be '54 or earlier. Chevrolet truck 4 speeds are the same from roughly 47-59. Must I have a date code that reads pre '55, or is the fact that the trans was available in earlier years okay?
    2) What about home made, or one-off parts? If I have a local technical high school make a part or parts for my engine, would it be disqualified?

6. Hey man, flathead v8 and 4 banger is the classes. Build a period correct hot rod with early parts and send in the entry. It's drag racing on the beach so don't over think it and just build the car to have fun. If your entry is accepted I guarantee it will be the coolest hot hod event you have ever been involved in. I never took my roadster out of 2nd gear if that helps!

7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I know that they prefer sedans and coupes. But i'm gonna send in my Sedan info and see what happens. Ya never know. Ya pays yer money and you take yer chances.

8. I appreciate the encouragement and enthusiasm BSE :D!

Been wanting to put a car together for the races for a while- I grew up just outside Philly and would love to make the trek back "down the shore", and even have a local friend here in GA who is planning to go.

I asked the reasons because:
    • I have a line on a couple transmissions, but they are post '54- don't want to spend money twice just because I have the wrong date code (gotta understand; I grew up in the AACA/Hershey climate)
    • just trying to find out if there is room for any homebuilt/one-off parts
    Thanks again guys- hope to make it some year soon :)

9. Everyone we met at TROG is super nice like minded individuals who appreciate things the way they were. Nobody walks around and judges anyone's car or picks it apart. I think homebuilt one off parts/cars are welcomed if they are built in the spirit of the Era and have the look that Mel and the Oilers are trying to capture. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth and good luck with whatever you build!

Carter and T__N__A like this.
  10. Mac,
    No one is going to be running around checking date codes etc. My understanding, is that the goal is for the cars to appear period appropriate. If you are building a potential entry, it should look like it might be seen at a race in the 40's. One off, hand made parts are excellent, as long as they reflect period appropriate construction methods (billet machined parts are wrong. Engine turning or casting is very cool! The date guidelines are to help prevent anachronisms, with out of place looking items, rather than manufacturing dates of appropriate parts. Example, there are plenty of folks running modern Stromberg 97's, and I ran Edelbrock re-pop Holley 94's on my car last year..no one docked any points etc because they were "new", because they look correct. In fact, there aren't any "points" to be docked. Your three goals should be: 1. To put together a vintage car, that resonates enough to be chosen by the group of Oilers who pick the accepted entries from among the cars submitted by August. 2. Get that car, and yourself to Wildwood in October. 3. Have the time of your life, while behaving like a "Gentleman" and following any requests made of the racers.

If we both work hard, and get lucky, maybe we can line up for a race this October!

(Disclaimer. I am just a grateful participant, and admirer of Mel, Bobby, and the Oilers. Any advice is based on my experience with the last 3 ROG's.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    patmanta, nosdan and Speedy Canuck like this.
  11. Hahaaa, thanks Harry and Barrillo!!!! Thanks all for any help explaining.

We want old time hot rods, scratch built racers. Make anything from scratch you want, it just better not look rat rod.

We don't encourage rust or shiny paint. We just like cars built traditional that men are not afraid to beat on. So far, your all doing a pretty good job of that.

If you need immediate answers, email us!!!

Stay tuned for a big party coming to the Asbury Park area. All racers are invited to brings cars and bikes, past and present. It's gonna be a good one! Kick out the jams!

Stay tuned for those details. Thinking mid to end of May.

Cheers!

CrazyUncleHarry and orangeamcs like this.
  12. Get your cars entered even if they are not finished. We need to hold your place.

No cars will be allowed to enter after August 1st.

Cars must be entered way before and we choose the entries on Aug 1st.

Thanks!!!

13. No coupsters!!!

No sedans or pick ups unless they are over the top bad ass. Like a race car, not a street car.

Any other questions, email us!!!

14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I sent photos of my 32 5w project in this week. The TROG secretary told me I need to send photos back in at 80% complete. I'm working as fast as I can!!! Haha.

15. nosdan

nosdan

Well that's a bummer... 7 months building this coupster for TROG… long history of this body running in Berks County, PA back in the 50s
    IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1919.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    BrickTopp likes this.
  16. Thanks for the info and encouragement guys! Don't think I'll be able to make this year's event, but would like to have the car ready for 2016 :D

17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

whats all the fuss about? isn't this what used to be called jalopy racing ?

18. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Only for very specific jalopys. ;)

19. The way I see it, things are pretty simple:

It's Mel's brain child. Mel and the Oilers work hard to put this on. Therefore, it's their sandbox. They get to dictate the rules, and the toys that are allowed in.

They have a very specific vision for how they want things to go, to look, and to be received by the spectators. I've been to the past 2, and obviously it's working. Unfortunately, not everyone will get in. But the expectations set by the Oilers have been pretty clear since the first one, of what they are looking for.

I suspect a little more reading, before buying a body and an engine, would benefit a lot of disappointed builders.

gwhite likes this.
  20. ELD

ELD

TROG is a time capsule buried for over fifty years, Mel and company unearthed it and put it on display every year.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. nosdan

nosdan

It's a great event for sure, glad something of the sorts is on the East Coast! No knockin the guys... they do a wonderful job re-creating a long lost motor vehicle event. I've not seen / read prior that coupsters were not allowed... but hey, I brought back another local piece of history in Berks County, PA that will sling dirt on the PA and MD circle tracks! We're all in this crazy addiction of rust, oil, and history together. Would it be cool to be apart of TROG?, absolutely. This is even my second build/year entering for TROG... but their gig, their pick.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  22. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are personally racing or not, it is a great weekend and not to be missed. Hoping I get to run something down the beach, but if not I will still be there.

Doc. I hope you bring your sedan. I have photos of it in my garage from I was building mine.

Doc. likes this.
  23. Hope you didn't take my comment as a shot across your bow. I was just speaking in generals. There were a few complainers last year, one with an inline six comes readily to mind. :rolleyes:
    Still think you should bring that coupster down, even if just to cruise around Wildwood. Looks like a cool car!

lothiandon1940 and nosdan like this.
  24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I may just have to come as a spectator. I didn't know that sedans had to be full race only. We completely rebuilt the Silva Speed Special this year with hopes of getting to take a lap on the beach. New Frenzel blown motor,new '39 tranny,Lincoln brakes and a Halibrand quick change out back. Maybe we'll have to build a dedicated race car next year and try again.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  25. Doc, I don't want to speak for Mel and Co, but I believe it was no Sedans or Trucks unless they are something truly special.
    Call me peculiar, but I think a Frenzel Blown flathead is rather special...and rare! The kind of very interesting vintage hardware that makes TROG so magical.
    I encourage you to submit your entry. Include lot's of great pictures. If it's anywhere near as cool as it sounds, you might have a shot.
    Either way, bring that fine mochine down to Wildwood....I'd personally like to drool over your drivetrain....

Doc. likes this.
  26. Tedders

Tedders

Knew about everything but no RPU"s....that's disappointing

27. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the encouragement. I just figured that since Dirtyest Devil posted no sedans or trucks that are street cars that my car didn't fit the bill. My sedan is already in Austin for the Roundup next week.. Maybe i'll get some pictures when i get her home and just send them in to see what happens. I respect the guys putting on this race, and i'm cool with whatever they decide. It sure would be fun to stretch her out on the sand though. Thanks again.

28. Perhaps @Dirtyest Devil can clarify, but I would guess RPU fits under the 'roadster' category. Hope so anyway...would like to have the "Hardscrabble Hop-Up" finished by TROG 2025 ;)

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am hoping to be in on the action with my 30 AV8 Coupe build. It will be getting chopped 7 inches and a 1932 heavy beam dropped axle the wheels I will be running on this are the black artillery wheels in the next picture with the 6.70x15 in the front and 8.00x15 in the rear. The engine I have is a 1940 Ford V8 with some goodies and a 39 gear box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

burnzy37, Tedders and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. jkeesey

jkeesey

I may enter for the hell of it. Just finished most of the wood work today, still have to lay the aluminum on top. All original 29 banger will be running dual carbs and early race style exhaust.

Attached Files: