Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '48 HEMI plym mock up pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Nov 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. an nv3500 from a early ninety's chevy pickup

2. deto

deto

I have never seen that trans being run in a hotrod. I assume it's pretty robust?

3. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

i have no complaints about the stock,front suspension,after all it is IFS,,brand x and x were still straight axel at this time,,mopar was way ahead of the game,, it was just there weird idea of the free floating ride the y called it,,all it needs is the front shock mod and it makes a big diffference,, i have fat man dropped spindles, new eaton front coils, cav power rack, and disc brakes, i have posies rear lowering leafs,with shocks designed by bilstien for the new leafs, and a fat rear sway bar i made fit the set up,,all i need is a better front sway bar,,,

4. i couldn't find any pics of the sway bar mounts. my frame horns were beefed up quite a bit and that affects the mounting so it may not apply any way. i used a manual rack which is shorter so the pass side mount is inboard of where the power one would be.
    192.JPG 196.JPG

Attached Files:

• 197.JPG
      197.JPG
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
    chop job likes this.
  5. i had one in a 55 chevy convert with a 348 and it held up well, some buddies run them behind some pretty stout small blocks and i've never seen a failure.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_3500_transmission

6. Ratman1953

Ratman1953

Looks great!! Hope you get to enjoy driving soon when all that hard work pays off!!

7. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

Scotty,
    I am following your build very closely because I am re-building a 48 also and am very confused about the mounting of your sway bar. As I mentioned a week or so ago, I found a 97 Jeep Cherokee sway bar and frame mounting brackets, and still cannot get it to fit like your photo shows. Did you widen (spring) the outside of the bar where it attaches to each of the bottom a-frames, and if so how did you do that? I just now tried to remount the bar with the outside bracket hole matching up with the most forward mounting hole for the OEM bar and the bar ends are ending up inside the coil springs and no where as far apart as yous is. I do have it mounted inverted as you previously mentioned.
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Ron

8. Does yours look like the one in his first picture? His kinda looks more like a rear sway bar to me, the ends look awfully short?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. finally found some pics, this a front sway bar from a late 90's grand cherokee. i drive a 97 cherokee and that is the same body style i took the bar from. yes the bar was "tweeked" with heat. i hope it holds up!

oci.jpg oci1.jpg

Attached Files:

• oci2.jpg
      oci2.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    chop job likes this.
  10. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

thanks for the pics

11. i'm picking up the frame and assorted other parts in the morning, time for a lot of cleaning then paint. the machine shop is still sitting on the Hemi:mad:

12. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Are you running a front sump oil pan?

13. that front bumper is great how did he peaak it like that ?

14. Scott,

Can you please snap a few photo's and give details of the rear sway bar mounting and source when you start reassembling this thing? I could really use one on the back of my '48, but I'm not sure I could fit one in. My car has a 22 gal. fuel cell back there (all under the trunk), and it takes up some seroius real estate! Thanks,

Kurt (Blownfuel)

15. yep, stock rear sump.

16. the rear bar is from an H2 not sure what year. the end links are from a 90's cherokee it's mounted to the axle with spring perches.
    079.JPG 079.JPG 082.JPG

Attached Files:

• 080.JPG
      080.JPG
      File size:
      323.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    chop job likes this.
  17. Well that's messed up. :p

Well not the car that coupe is as fine as frog hair. :cool: its messed up that you own it and not me. You got it in spades friend. ;)

18. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

if it helps i have a competition rear sway bar under my 40 dodge,,if you need a few pics i have some may help you decide pm me i cant remember if im allowed to post e mails on this forum,,

19. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

few pics,more pics then i thought i had,,hope this helps this style bar comes in 2 different widths,,measure at the eyes,,measure your frame, see which size will fit on the inside as close to the rail as possible to mount using the factory upper shock mount,,,the sizes are 29 inches eye to eye and 36 eye to eye the 29 part number is fm657 and the 36 part number is sb3540 ra these are fat man part numbers,,, on the 29 wide on my paper it has a question mark,,,made by me so double check your width before ordering hope this helps

Attached Files:

scotty t and Rich B. like this.
  20. n847

n847

Where did you get that bar from. Looks like a nice set up.

21. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

got the bar from fat man fabrications in north carolina,, part numbers are in my write up,,,hope this helps u

22. Thanks, Scott! They help a lot!

23. The bottom of the car and the frame are ready for paint paint, but I can't catch any decent weather to do it . I just got word the machine shop started on the hemi. So I hope to have some updates soon.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  24. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Great work Scotty T. This is the kind of stuff we once found in rod magazines before aftermarket took over. For those interested the NV3500 5 speed also came in the Ram 1500 and Dakotas which bolts to the small block MOPAR bolt pattern. Mine is behind a 318.

fstfish66 likes this.
  26. n847

n847

Do you know the size or type of universal joint used for the cavi Rack & Pinion conversion? I have the R&P but haven't looked into the universal yet. I'm planning to buy a speedway universal straight steering column. 2015-08-05 10_07_43-Microsoft Office 2010.png
    Thanks again,
    Nate

27. i'll in the next couple of days, REMIND ME

28. n847

n847

Awesome Thanks!

29. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

call fat man fab they will know and may have it in stock,,,for the cav u joint,,,

30. I'm out of town, I'll try to get the info for you Sunday, sorry