Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE FORDS, why dont more use them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dakota, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Surely there are more FE's for us to feast our eyes on! o_O

2. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

[​IMG]
    Installed a 390 with 406 heads into my Galaxie to replace oil leaking 352. Currently running 2 450s but going to swap them out for 600s. Put 875 miles on it on the Bourbon run and averaged 15 mpg running 65 mph.

Dave50 likes this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Things I don't like Intakes that are expencive because there is so much to them. Having the intake meet the head under the valve cover so oil can set on top of the joint. And for the most part the lack of good exaust manifolds.

4. CRKT

CRKT
    from Cali4nia

Gasser55, Do you remember the parts list for this build? I would love to build something like this, with a little hand holding, of course lol

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The 390 going in my '62 unibody. Have a 428 crank and a set of '61 HiPo heads with bigger 427 exhaust valves for it. The intake is a '63, linkage is all Shelby pieces.

SPark

Attached Files:

loudbang and nitrobrother like this.
  6. boutlaw

boutlaw

Glad to see some interest in the FE, even if from an old resurrected thread. Have this 427 side oiler in my 31 Model A. and currently building a 65 Ranchero gasser with a 390. FE's are just awesome engines, al beit somewhat expensive to build and a little more time to assemble, but nothing sounds like an FE. Havent been able to post pictures since the new format, so hope this pic posts. FE's FOREVER!
    [​IMG]

7. Love these fe's run a 61 390hp in my 34 chev ,and a 66 merc 390 in my 64 f100
    the 61 is a full solid lifter roller motor IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4595.JPG IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1407.JPG

warbird1 and nitrobrother like this.
  8. A Ford in a Chev...I dig it!

9. FE; the best swap into a '57 Ford ever. Ran a 390 in my '57 bracket racer back in the day... Holley 3-barrel and the old LeMans cam. Broke a lot of drive-train parts with it. I've always felt that the 406 and 427 were the best of the bunch, just IMHO...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  10. Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Not much info on building an FE , but I had a few . 67 Fairlane running 428 scj and 427 non side oiler . I worked at a Ford dealer in the parts department , in the 70's . Ford Motor Company set notices that they wanted to unload all HIPO parts . Sidewinder intake 129.00 , cap screw rods 21.00 . 427 , side oiler same long block price as 352 . I saw one 427 SOHC in parts inventory in Cinti area . 8500.00 complete . Days are long gone , fun stuff to remember .

12. boutlaw

boutlaw

It would be great if I could make Beaver Springs, but its a bit to far for me. The FE Reunion would be the premier event for an FE guy for sure. Always wanted to meet Barry at Survival, he did some machining on my old MT crossram intake, nice guy. Love the 66 Troublemaker, if you eve run an further South, please advise.

13. lahola1

lahola1
    from sedona, AZ

My brother's '32 coupe back in 1964. He had to box the frame to get the cast iron 427 cast iron manifolds to fit. 332 w/406 tripower and b-w t10 4speed.
    32 rod5.jpg

nitrobrother likes this.
  14. 48jeep

48jeep

One of the funniest things I ever saw was a drag race in the early seventies between a new Corvette and a ragged out 62 Ford Galaxie. The Galaxie was owned by a mechanical engineering student and that thing was ugly. Three different colors,dents everywhere and no interior.That Ford flat out smoked the Vette, running deep into the twelves. The Vette owner worked at the local NAPA store and had to listen to the remarks for quite a while.

Bob37 likes this.
  15. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I think the biggest drawback to more guys running FE's now is aftermarket speed parts options. If you're looking to run a BBF, there is just way more out there for the 385 series engines. When you can grab up a set of SCJ heads assembled for $1800 that flow mid 300's cfm's out of the box, 4.5" stroker cranks that require no block machining to drop in there meaning instant BIG cube numbers... well... Not to mention a number of companies now offer an improved version of the infamous BOSS 429 heads that bolts right onto a 385 series block. Everything you could possibly want is readily available and priced in line with doing a BBC. A decent stock FE block alone will run you more than a stock 385 series which are readily available in junk yards. Certainly Fe's are cool, period correct, can make outstanding power. But you are going to spend your wallet right off your azz trying to build one to compete with a 385 series BBF or a BBC in the big hp/tq dept. To some, it don't matter and FE is it. To each their own. IMO anyways.

16. Our '47 Hudson. has a 390 in it. I'm pleased as far as how it runs but I just can't keep it cool at low speeds or cruising. I do believe it's worn out though. It barely has oil pressure when its warm. I've been thinking of putting my spare 472 Caddy in it.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  17. lahola1: THAT IS COOL! Any other pictures?

4thhorseman: I'm not jumping on your world view, but if you're going to bring up the cost-to-play aspect, then you start and stop at the NISB (No Imagination Small Block) like all the other sheep. (There, that oughta stir up the Chubby guys!) The question of "Why?" is somewhat rhetorical, so in reality we should be asking "Why Not?" I have an option about this, which people may or may not agree with, but: FE's Rock! :D

(I'm also sorta partial to MELs, too!)

18. ford29

ford29
    from Denmark

My 390 tripower now running great in my 61 Galaxie

Attached Files:

19. lahola1

lahola1
    from sedona, AZ

nitrobrother: here are some more pics;
    32 rod2.jpg 32 rod9.jpg falcon3.jpg falcon2.jpg 57eng.JPG
    The Falcon was my brother's in 1967; same engine and tri power. The last pic is my '57 Ford today w/ a 390 and the same tri power (eng is kinda dirty; I've been working on it).

Jeff Norwell and nitrobrother like this.
  20. Now that's the best kind of recycling!

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

1205141511.jpg DSCN0682.JPG OT '67 390 with solid lifters, '68 heads and intake in '67 Fairlane Ranchero

loudbang likes this.
  22. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Probably posted this before, bit I had a FE in my coupé years ago. Cars was sold unfinished as we moved to another country. There is hardly a day I don't wish I'd shipped it with us.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang and ford29 like this.
  23. I've never thought of this hobby as cheap, so those that argue that a certain engine is better because it is cheaper to build, just don't compute in my world. I have budget limitations as do most, but I'll never run an engine, or any other part, strictly because it is cheap!

loudbang likes this.
  24. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Wanna donate one of those 427's to a 63 Falcon... lol..

25. joegermann

joegermann

There is nothing finer that a Ford FE based motor. The pics are of my SOHC motor in the Wild Child.

Attached Files:

26. boutlaw

boutlaw

Nitrobro said it right, FE's rock, .......My FE Ranchero under contruction, kicking my ass and Im loving every minute of it. Hope pic posts.....

BHoover likes this.
  27. boutlaw

boutlaw

Ok, heres an other attempt on picposting....
    [​IMG]

Zerk likes this.
  28. boutlaw

boutlaw

topside
    [​IMG]

BHoover, loudbang and Zerk like this.
  29. We are a week away from the largest gathering of FE's ever. Hope you all can make it!!

30. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

My 58, just installed a 390 form a 63 T-bird......
    IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

BHoover, ford29, falcongeorge and 3 others like this.