Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, Apr 8, 2015.

1. I hjave a 600 Edelbrock that I rebuilt...2 times now...and keep having float issues. On cold startup they want to stick open and flood the motor. I've removed the top of the carb to check fuel level when cold to see if they're dry, but always look good. Anyone else have trouble like this? If I use the old hammer trick they will come unstuck, but thats kinda unpractical.

2. squirrel

squirrel

filter? pressure?

Usually the problem is the fuel being dirty or too much pressure.

3. New tank, lines ,2 new filters, had carb on and off several times, cleaned it SUPER good the last time off. Stock mechanical pump......

4. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Love my 600 Edelbrock carb...only rebuilt it once in 10 years and that was because a made in China fuel filter fell apart and filter fibers pluged up the fuel passages in the carb...

5. I would look for what is sticking when I had it apart. maybe a burr or a bad needle valve n seat. once it gets running the vibration keeps it free enough to operate but it sticks again when it is full of fuel and not running.

belair likes this.
  6. Apparently, the bowls drain down some then it sticks open.
    I wonder if the float settles a bit cockeyed down into the fuel bowl and hangs on the edge ?

7. I've had three Edelbrock 1405's and they've been great carbs with one exception. In my experience, they tend to be hypersensitive to crud in the fuel....more so than other carbs.

8. rfraze

rfraze

Did not see any mention of fuel pressure regulator. The stock (even from Edelbrock) fuel pumps often have too much pressure for these carbs. 5 lbs. pressure max. Some people say less. We learned this the HARD way.
    Add this to the previous good input and good luck.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. R Pope

R Pope

I agree, fuel pressure too high. Eddy's and AFB's don't handle pressure well. Get a regulator.

10. Did the carb have any sort of a "float drop" adjustment that might have been... ummm... overlooked??? o_O

loudbang likes this.
  11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Both my cars have Edelbrock 600s, but I am using fuel pressure regulators adjusted to 7 PSI and never had a problem with them. I would check fuel pressure first. One of the club members had similar problems to yours with his car and they all disappeared when he installed a FPR.

12. 327Eric

327Eric

Check your fuel pressure, as stated above. The last "stock" pump I bought at the parts store was putting out 13 p.s.i.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Clay Mart beat me to it, but Edelbrocks do have a float drop adjustment, and that could be the problem. Floatr dropping too far and hanging on something.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  14. rfraze

rfraze

Even the "matched" Edelbrock street pump we bought with the complete intake put out 10 pounds. Almost burned down the whole car! Would go from perfect to flooding the wells in the manifold while driving. Scared the shit out of us. Save yourself the grief. At least test the pressure.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had the same issue with this carb and the matching fuel pump--too much pressure-they seem to like about 4-5 lbs.

16. models916

models916

Run the off road needle and seat and problem is gone.

17. Looks like I'll install a regulator !!!

18. Checked pressure on the stock pump, witch is a new one from Auto Zone. Came in at 9+ lbs !!! On my way for a regulator ........

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yep, 5 PSI will be plenty. If you are worried about running the bowls dry
    ( which shouldn't be a problem really)you can get the larger needle and seat kit for them.

20. My Edelbrock 750 did that and I found the float had a pin hole in it and sucked fuel in it when it cooled off and sunk. It would flood when started cold.

When it got hot, it squirted fuel back out and floated properly.

Remove the float and shake it (cold) and see if it has fuel in it. If it does, warm it up to find the leak and solder it up or replace the float. ;)

Keep us posted!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Warm it up in hot water, or maybe with a heat gun. Just don't use a Zippo! :eek:

Montana1 likes this.
  22. Montana1 said:
    If it does, warm it up to find the leak and solder it up or replace the float. ;) Just don't use a Zippo! :eek:

NO! NO! NO! DON'T USE A HEAT GUN!
    It'll warm up enough in your hand to pee all over! When you find the leak, drill a .030"-.040" hole in it somewhere else to drain the fuel and solder everything up with a soldering gun.

23. OK....Got a Holley fuel regulator, installed it along with a new pressure gauge. Made sure the pressure was almost off, gauge actually didn't even register. Fired up car, warmed it up a bit, then started to increase pressure on the regulator. About the time I hit just over 5 lbs, the carb started flooding!! I backed it of to around 3+ lbs it seems to be OK. If it continues to be OK I'll go with the hi-flow needles. I have never run a regulator on any Edelbrock before, and my last setup had a Holley Blue electric pump!!! I can't believe 5 lbs blew the needles open!!!

24. never had a good one yet !

25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well I have 2 on an sbc and they run fine and not too bad on gas if I stay sane about my driving. Course when I took them outta the boxes I checked float settings, both for fuel level and float drop, and used a regulator set just under 5#.

26. I believe you I have just never had luck with them. Put one on my 355 and it was bad on cold mornings I put an street avanger and closed the hood. Had one on my 289 and it didnt work well with the cam on the Idel. Its been years since I was in GA are you useing mixed gas ? we have an additive that is rusting lines and roting rubber lines as well as rusting older tanks.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never had a bad one, yet, I have installed over 200.