Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Kansas Badman Ted DeTar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gold Dust, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Butch M

Butch M

2. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I used to work with Ted's son, Steve. He had some great stories. Maybe 10 years ago Steve was working on a replica of the "Kansas Badman". I've lost track of him though and don't know if he finished it or not. Steve gave me a ride once in a low budget 70's Duster he built and it kicked ass! He'd obviously learned a thing or two from the old man.

3. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Also I seem to remember DeTar had one of the Ford factory Thunderbolts. Another friend of mine, Don Brack, used to help Ted with it at the races. I wonder where it went.

4. spiertb

spiertb

'd like to see a picture of his T-Bolt. Syl

UNCLECHET likes this.
  5. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

I think the story of Ted needs to be told .

UNCLECHET likes this.
  6. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

7. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

8. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

9. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

This is his son, Steve, where do you want me to start?

WB69, Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  10. the beginning

11. loudbang

loudbang

THUNDERBOLT story please.

12. Yeah, c'mon, Steve, spill it! :D;)

13. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

Yes Steve do tell , how did he get started with mopar?

14. elgringo71

elgringo71

I would love to hear the story too. The pictures are great and show how many cars he was involved with but it would be great to hear some history about him and how he got involved in racing.

15. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

That T- Bolt was Don Brachs. It had DeTar Automotive on it. Don's toy only, Dave Rupp ordered the cam from Crain Cams that went in it. Something was broke in the rear end when Don got it. I have a little footage of that car on 8mm. Don't know why he sold it, things change in people's lives.

16. aircap

aircap

Never saw the Kansas Badman run at any local tracks, but Ted Detar was a Wichita legend, for sure!

17. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I used to ride motorcycle trials with Don Brack. He was and is quite a character. He told great stories and built some wicked Ford engines.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

Dave Rupp went to Indy with his 63 Plymouth 426 Stage II, the "Red Bandit", got sicker than a dog, his car had a blown headgasket and Pappy Cline introduced my dad to Dave Rupp. That's what put the 2 in the lime light. Dave, the ratchet jaw, Ted- the wrench. Heads-Up run what you brung, match racing. Ted had a 500 incher in that car and the match race was against Dickey Harrell. On a $500 bet, Ted drilled out those old AFB carbs and run Nitro through them before anyone else had the idea. At the race when Dave did his burn out, the flag man, this is before Chrondex, ran over and told Dickey, DeTars running Nitro thru carbs. Dickey got out of the car and grabbed the mic- thats what they did back then- and called Dave a cheater in front of the whole crowd. Dave got out of the car and basically called him a big baby, told to quit crying, and told the flag man to leave and then told Dickey to line up and leave when ever he wanted to. I'll finish this one later...

WB69, alanp561, Danny Brown and 5 others like this.
  19. Ha! GREAT story! I miss those days! thing were just ...different back then, and BETTER!

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man I'm luvin' this stuff, thanks Steve, and please tell more...

loudbang likes this.
  21. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

22. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

Dave told me Harrell lined up and when the Red Bandit pulled up beside him Harrel floored it. At half track, the Red Bandit was already 5 to 6 car lengths ahead of Harrell. Harrell let off, The Red Bandit took the 1st 3 out of 5 match race. The crowd started booing, when Dave was announced the 1st race. After the cool off period it was time for round 2. Same results, Rachet Jaw Dave by half track. This time the crowd was pissed. They wanted to see a race, so they beer canned the staging lanes! After cool down- thats when they would throw bags of ice on the cross-ram intake, Dave took the Red Bandit up to the staging lanes and there was about ten employees cleaning up the mess. They were also booing the Plymouth. I guess they were Pro-Chevy. After about 20 minutes Dave grabbed the mic and said "Lets finish this" and the crowd started booing again. Dave waited, and waited. Finally the track announcer told Dickey over loud speaker that if he did'nt show up to finish the race, he would be Disqualified, forfeit the tow money, everything. 5 minutes later he shows up, Dave lets him have about a 4 car length head start. Red bandit catches up with the Harrell car at half track, thats when Dave run the car out on the back end, blowing Harrell away. That story was told to me a long time ago. Steve

23. Andy

Andy

I hung around his shop in the summer of 64. I was working on a Chevy 11. I switched the engines between the Deuce and a 60 Chevy one day. He let me have the use of the shop. I just locked up when finished, Nobody else there. Another time he needed a FI Vette delivered. I got to drive the Vet. It was strong. I used to hear him and Snow discussing how to set the car up for the next race. He would run tha auto if the 7" tire rule was in or the 4 spd if not. It has been a long time and I might not be right on this. He used to be amused when people would bring in Chrysler race cars for him to straighten out the tune. He said the best thing is to return them to factory specs. He was a great guy and good to me.

24. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

Wow thanks Steve that's a great story!!!!!

MoonLoon likes this.
  25. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very cool thread lots of awesome pics:)

27. This appeared on the Drag Cars In Motion thread...
    [​IMG]

28. Steve DeTar

Steve DeTar

chryslerfan55 and nitrobrother like this.
  29. Thanks for the backstory, Steve. I sure wish I knew where that one ended up. Nostalgia Funny Cars need a return to classic shapes.

alanp561 likes this.
  30. Baby Boomer

Baby Boomer

I just stumbled onto this post. If it is still alive thread, and you would like to hear some debt Detar stories firsthand I would be glad to share. I hung around the shop and traveled a bit in 1966 and 1967. It was a lot of fun being with the guys. Let me know if you're still there and interested.