Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. bigslim55

bigslim55

Well I got the 55' steering box together. After 3 try's I think I have it shimmed just right!?! I was waiting on steering shaft & worm gear. Last Friday UPS Tracking showed it in Palatine IL, I'm like cool I'm going to get it today! 1/2 HR as crow flys from house. Check Tracking later in the afternoon & it says "SOORY IT WAS SORTED WRONG" its in Minneapolis Minn!?! It should arrive next Wens/Thurs.....
    I've read a couple blogs on what guys use for lube in steering gearbox. 600W? 1/2 & 1/2 Lucas oil stabilizer/90W? And couple guys said John Deere Corn Head grease, it was reasonable $4.00 for tube...! Anyone have an opinion?
    And lastly, Tricky Steve. May god bless you & Cheryl...! That was good with the buffer, she must be a good sport! Prayers sent for a speedy recovery...!
    Jimbo... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427933659.829001.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427933728.831407.jpg

Tickety Boo likes this.
  2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I took advantage of some warm days finally and got the first coat of paint on my roll bar. I brushed on rustoleum hammered black and really happy with how it turned out so far.
    [​IMG]

Dog_Patch, twoponchos and Tickety Boo like this.
  3. bigslim55

bigslim55

Scott are you going to try to get down to the Columbus Ford Swap this weekend? Was wondering, you seem a lil behind the 8 ball with the Shakker tho....
    Jimbo...

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

No time to make it to Columbus Jim,working nights.
    Pretty bummed about that,but whaddya gonna do,right...?:)

Actually heading out at 6:00am to put a couple hour in on the car before I go to bed.:)

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

55Cheiftain - the rollbar looks great. Nice work

30dodgeboy and 55chieftain like this.
  6. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

All-

I wanted to let everyone know that we have closed registration for this year's Meltdown. We have reached what we consider to be close to our limit of cars.

We will be responding to folks who pre-registered over the past few days this weekend. If you hear of anyone who says they haven't heard back, please have them contact me. I have been very diligent in replying, but could have missed something.

Lastly, anyone who wants to register going forward will be put on a waiting list. Undoubtedly we will have some cancellations as "life happens"....those folks will then get put on the list.

This year's Meltdown is going to be amazing! We can't wait.

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, I hope I never have to do another one anytime soon. LOL. I see why the guys who do these get big bucks, it's a lot of labor involved.
    Bill

8. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

9. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

RacerX...I have the final few to register which will bring us to about 550 cars, which should put us just slightly ahead of last year. I did the math and there will be about 30 hours of racing over the 3 days...should make for a fun weekend!

bigslim55, 30dodgeboy and rawcjw19 like this.
  10. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Hope Cheryl gets well and back in the race seat soon, had the pleasure of chatting with her at meltdown 2013....very nice person....you're a great guy too Steve. That dyno offer is off the chart hope someone gets to try it. Being in the dyno room when a new engine fires is pretty exciting even more when it's your pile of $100 bills. DSC_0982.JPG

30dodgeboy likes this.
  11. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Speaking of dyno room excitement, I had this little 360ci SBC done a few years ago for the comp coupe project. I guess we will call it a Chevy but the only genuine GM parts are the valve covers....it's wearing dyno room valve covers in the video. We spun it to 8,000 during this pull and I was getting nervous, it was definitely exciting. Dyno video and picture of it in the car with the GM valve covers.

DSC_0568.JPG

12. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Holy cow you moved fast getting that car running. Glad the heads worked out for you I thought they were pretty nice. Just a note of warning though, the ease of making Chevy power is addictive, better watch out or you'll be dropping a 427 Big Block in your Chrysler coupe hahaha!

13. A Boner

A Boner

This is near the Meltdown Drags track! Guess that's where the name comes from.
    image.jpg

30dodgeboy and II FUNNY like this.
  14. cs39ford

cs39ford

Yes it is. I also can put my battery's in the front yard to charge them. Ha Ha

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

thanks so much for the kind words.. : )

16. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

thanks again, for the great word of encouragement .. yaaay !!

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got some painting done today, got this far till I ran out of paint, and steam.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  18. bigslim55

bigslim55

Here's today's progress, got hole cut in hood & Crites T-Bolt scoop sheet metal screwed on... Starting to look like some thing...
    Also got the rebuilt steering gearbox in & mounted back up... Still can't believe everything lined up! I just straightened front tires a lil & pitman arm fell right on to gearbox! Then wanted to see if steering wheel would be off, set it on & Damn near perfect...! I'm like this doesn't happen..! LOL...
    Also while steering wheel & column was loose it was good time to remove speedo cluster. It has a bounce from 20-70mph & makes funny noise! Had to be funny my fatass trying to get under dash! I was thinking about Tommy Boy! Fat guy in a little coat... Fat guy in a little coat...! LOL...!
    Jimbo... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428192623.106655.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428192656.843061.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1428192703.742527.jpg

beebee78, loudbang, II FUNNY and 3 others like this.
  19. bigslim55

bigslim55

Bill, floor & cage look awesome! Man it looks good painted gray, has a nice clean look to it!
    Jimbo

55chieftain likes this.
  20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks Jimbo, the floor is battleship gray, it will go with whatever color goes on the outside. I brushed it on as well. I'm going to leave the dash alone till I get the outside painted whenever that happens. I should be getting my fiberglass doors next month as well. My seatbelts expired so have to get a new harness for driver seat.

I have one set of harnesses that I never used still in the box (dated 2012) and all I used out of the box for the one in my car was the lap belt if anyone needs some belts cheap that don't need a date on them. By the time you figure in shipping and recert cost not really worth having that done IMO and just buy new.

Your hood and gearbox work looks good too.

bigslim55 likes this.
  21. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Jimbo

Way Cool :cool: Old Ford Gassers and tear drop hood scoops go together like Rum and Coke imho.
    Lots of fresh air for your two fours.:)

powrshftr and bigslim55 like this.
  22. ...oh yeah, the mighty Byron Nuke plant,...I helped buid that place...those are the water cooling towers that stand 450' tall.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  23. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Bill

Going to be interesting to see if your 60 ft. gets quicker with a stiffer caged frame.:cool:

24. That ^ and the typical mid July weather...

25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I hope so, I was running 1.55-57 late last year but still have some more carb tuning to do. It was still running lean.

26. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Little over 3 months away and need to get the Falcon back together and work the bugs out and you guys having so much fun on here I thought I should join in and keep up the group. Should be a another great Meltdown Drags.

Jon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  27. you guys see the 6 page Meltdown feature in the latest Rod & Kulture mag?...nice.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Rusty,
    I just stopped by the local magazine place,and they have one with Jalopy showdown,but no Meltdown.....Maybe these guys don't have the current issue yet?The one they have is dated "Winter 2015"

Scott

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

That thing is lookin sharp and mean Jon!:)
    You're gonna make the Blue Oval guys proud:)

Scott

30. Same thing here in Chatham Scott. Can't find it anywhere...