Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" axle please help ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Apr 4, 2015.

1. image.jpg I picked up two early bronco rears to make one to go on my 36 ford coupe.
    I pulled the axles and have two different bearing retainers.
    What am I looking at with each one?
    They are both small bearing.
    Thanks

2. All that means is one of the axles probably had a wheel bearing replaced at one time. New retainers come with the bearings (or should), different manufacturers furnish different styles....

prewarcars4me likes this.
  3. Okay
    Thanks
    I called and asked napa and I was told the picture doesn't show one.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with Crazy Steve........I have seen both styles. When you put new bearings on these axles during your rebuild, buy two of the same brand and you will have matching retainers.

Btw, the other retainer......the plate between the bearin and axle flange...are they the same and one is just upside down? Just curious.....carry on! :)

Ray

5. No not the same.
    The axle with the 5 sided retainer is suppose to be a 69. The 4 side rectangle one in from an unknown year.

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

bump...i have the same ?

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The one on the right is old style retainer with the oil drain hole, the left one is newer style...Retainers do not come with bearings, or didn't used to .I like the oil drain [5 sided] ones..your choice..

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Okay thanks
    I got 2 early and one late.
    I have a line on a Granada rear and a couple more bronco axles.
    The two centre sections I have are open 4:11 in real nice shape and a 3:50 posi ( traction loc?) that is vey dirty and tight when spinning.

9. I just popped the bearings and retainers off with a zip wheel. Cut part way through and hit it with a cold chisel. Boy that was easy. I cannot believe this is my 1st 9".