Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Route 66 trip - realistic miles per day ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Feb 8, 2014.

1. My first trip to The Proving grounds in Md. in 1966 I traveled US 30 because I 80 had not been completed yet, went from Oregon to Indeanna on the old two lane through small towns and a lot of country side. It was quite an adventure for a 19 year old GI. I'm planning to use 30 for my return route, hope there's enough of it left for me to re live some of that trip. It would be nice to feel like I was 19 again. ( Other than getting tossed in the slammer in Nebraska.) LOL

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good tip there on the gas stop . With all the wampum I'll be dropping on has on the trip , I'll welcome saving 70
    ¢ a gallon . Every penny counts , ya know ! I'd love to roam through Oatman along the way .

LOL - that's exactly what I'm worried about ... I'm a HUGE shutterbug & will want to get pics of my car in front of everything cool ! I was in Fort Wayne a few years back , but didn't even give the LH a thought (was busy with an OT car meet) . Live & learn , I guess .

The LH should be a more exciting ride back for you than the superslab . Definately a slower pace , if nothing else . You're right , Ya don't want to relive the "slammer" part of that ride , ha ha . (Dare I even ask ?) Be sure to keep a good video/pic log of your trip as well .

Model T1 likes this.
  3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...Question from the start of 66 to the end what is a ball park price to make the trip for 2 round trip?...I know that depends on where you stay,eat,and what you stop to see.etc....I have been thinking about making the trip...Thanks miller

4. "The LH should be a more exciting ride back for you than the superslab . Definately a slower pace , if nothing else . You're right , Ya don't want to relive the "slammer" part of that ride , ha ha . (Dare I even ask ?) Be sure to keep a good video/pic log of your trip as well ."

Had something to do with missing the speed limit sign going through the small town the state trooper was serving and protecting, and the five miles it took for him to catch me.
    I plan to have a locater device installed on the car that will allow frends and family to track my progress in real time on Google maps.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You hoodlum !! That cop must've wanted to make to teach you a lesson - and he did ... you never forgot , LOL !

I like the idea of the locator beacon . A relative of mine did that when he hiked the Appalachian Trail last year . I never thought of that for MY trip .

6. "That cop must've wanted to make to teach you a lesson"
    Naw, the judge was off on a fishing trip and wouldn't be back till that evening. the Trooper was actually pretty cool about it all. Just put me in a cell and never locked the door.Didn't even qualifie for hard time.

7. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

To hell with it, plan 250 miles per day. You can do 500 miles a day coming home.

da34guy likes this.
  8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Sounds like the Sheriff and jail in Mayberry.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's funny - Bullet Nose beat me to it , LOL !

I figure it'll end up being longer miles coming home , cause we'll hopefully have caught most everything we wanted to heading west . I'm sure there will be a lot we'll pick up on the return trip though .

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

consider driving the Old Lincoln Highway, basically I80 match, on the way back for a different track.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You really can't count miles per day. Recently, my wife and I headed back to Texas from California. We left from San Dimas (Pomona) and took 210 to I-15 to Barstow, then cruised to Needles, on to Kingman, AZ. Just out of Kingman, you pick up Rte 66 that comes back in to I-40 at Seligman, AZ. That little 70 some odd mile jaunt was really great, but very time-comsuming. Right out of Kingman is Hackberry, where you can't get away from the people wanting to take your picture or sit in your car. It was really neat, but we spent maybe 2'30" there instead of just a few minutes. Next stop was Peach Springs, a neat little village where we had some good chow at a hotel/restaurant on the right. By the time we reached Seligman, we had used nearly 6 hrs running time, in about a 70 mile jaunt. But that is the stuff memories are made of. I don't know about any more stretches like that because we had to get home, but don't miss that one. We could have stayed all day in Hackberry. We had a genuine fine time in our "32 Highboy(with A/C, of course).

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey there, OldsJoe, my wife started out with, "You have to be shitting me!". A couple months later she had mellowed to, "That is a long way to Pomona from San Antonio, isn't it?" FINALLY, she agreed, a nd had as good a time as I did. We only hit actual Rte. 66 from Kingman, AZ. to Seligman, AZ., but that little bit whetted her appetite for more. And, we will do it again if the GOOD LORD is willin' and the creek don't rise. Be gentle with her and she just might come around. Good luck and have a ball.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. once you get into Rialto it is stop and go traffic all the way to the end.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's certainly an idea - I'll have to map it out & see if they cross paths somewhere out further .

I figure there will be days that will be pretty well consumed by talking to people & sight-seeing , that's a given . I've had lots of off-the-wall cars over the years , so I'm used to having people come up & talk my ear off about the car I'm driving . I like a good conversation , and I think that's part of the reason I like driving interesting cars over a common people-mover . The miles/day idea is just as a base idea for me , to get an idea of how far I might get each day , never having done 66 before . We'll have no solid schedule for the trip , and make overnight accomodations as we go .

Unfortunately/fortunately ;) my wife won't be along for my trip this time - just me and my pop , as our "someday" trip together . My wife & our 6 y/o daughter will be taking some shorter , more local trips leading up to this big ride though . The wife & I have taken plenty of long trips together , just nothing this long & not in an old ride (she likes creature comforts on trips , over a cool car ;) ) . We're going to try a weekend ride on the Lincoln Highway in the 49 this spring & see how that goes - if she's cool with it , maybe we'll take longer family trips in the 49 each year in the future .

Stop & go traffic is a killer , no doubt - especially in a stickshift ride . Been there , done that , got the t-shirt , LOL !

Model T1 likes this.
  15. Special Ed

Special Ed

That earlier remark about "stop and go traffic all the way to the end" is complete nonsense. You'll be just fine. Time of day and day of the week is the key to driving through any populous areas. Time it right, and you'll never even slow to under 60 mph. BUT ... if you decide to drive through LA at 5 PM on a Friday afternoon of a 3-day weekend, you'll certainly pay the price! Don't forget that you'll be making the trip with TWO people, which gives you the opportunity to use the "carpool lane" through the most congested of areas, leaving any and all traffic in your rear-view mirror ... :)

Model T1 likes this.
  16. Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Just be prepared to do over the speed limit in the car pool lane so you don't get someone hugging your back bumper. I've used it on trips to LA but it does make me nervous.

And I'm not sure if any part of Route 66 has a car pool lane.

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

I believe that the Arroyo Seco freeway section of Route 66 still has carpool lanes ....

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I would never have thought about a carpool lane in my 65 year-old car , LOL !!

I have that map set , as it was suggested to me by another HAMB'er (can't remember who , at this moment) . I bought it right away . It is a GREAT set of (illustrated) maps with sights to see & step by step directions (for either directions) . WELL worth the cheap price of 12 bucks !!

I should have my Maverick rear installed by the time I make the trip . The car's a bit of a screamer with the stock rear in it . It works fine , but I want something with taller gears for all the miles I'll be putting on the car .

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OldsJoe, I think a road trip with your Dad would be fantastic, whether it is Rte. 66 or Timbuktu. Your wife will more than understand . BUT, when it comes time for you two to travel, a few of those creature comforts can go a long way. I really don't think my wife would have gone on a 4,000 mile round-trip without A/C. The car already had a Sid Chaver's top with curtains which is absolutely necessary in South Texas as is the A/C. Guys sweat their asses off just to have a cool car, but ladies need more. We are old, so creature comforts are really required. Hope this doesn't disqualify me from the H.A.M.B., but whatever. Have a blast with your Dad. Wish mine was still around.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is way off topic of Rte. 66, but were you related to the singer named Palumbo who was in The Earls singing group in the '60s. That is still my kind of music. PA would have been a great place for a singer wannabee to live in the '50s and '60s. Good luck on your trip.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree - the trip is about the memories , not necessarily the destination . Doing a rte.66 trip will kill 2 birds with one stone though , a trip with dad & a bucket list item crossed off . We both want to do Bonneville , but that's for another trip ;) . Dad mentioned about air conditioning at one point in my build . I told him that when a big box from Vintage Air arrives on my porch , I'll put it in . Until then , I just don't have the extra wampum right now . Maybe someday ... but then again , maybe not ;) .

Thanks - and no , I'm not related to that singer . Buddy Palumbo is just my nickname . It comes the main character from a series of "car guy" books by Burt "BS" Levy starting with "
    The Last Open Road" . It's a great series of books that everyone here on the HAMB should read . I read the first book over the course of a few days - I couldn't put it down . I spread the word of the Last Open Road whenever I can .

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  23. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

24. Got my map packet today, we are planning to cross on 30/80 to Chicago the week after labor day and travel 66 east to west so if you are on the road in Sept thru the first part of Oct. maybe wee will cross paths.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sounds like a great trip , 911 Steve ! Make sure you keep us posted .

It's a cool pack of maps , isn't it ?? And a hell of a deal . I plan on framing mine (somehow) once I make the trip - maybe in some kind of collage . I'm not 100% sure what timeframe we'll be travelling (it all depends on teething pains once the car hits the streets this spring) , but I will certainly be in touch with ya closer to the date .

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Just wanted to bring this back up for an update -
    I have been going over the trip in my head lately . The other day during my lunch break , I came up with a VERY loose schedule - just to see how far is plausible . I think my destination for this round will be the Caddilac ranch - that's a bit over 1,000 miles and I figure we can make it in around 5 days on 66 . Figuring on a mileage of 250 miles or less per day , starting in Chicago :
    day 1 - Chicago to around Staunton , Ill
    day 2 - Staunton , Ill to Springfield , MO
    day 3 - Springfield , MO to Chandler , OK
    day 4 - Chandler , OK to Shamrock , TX
    day 5 - Shamrock , TX to Amarillo , TX

Shamrock to Amarillo is only about 100 miles , so that could be a destination day , figuring on staying in Shamrock the nights of day 4 and 5 . All of this is totally dependant on what we see each day , and I am sure it will change , but I needed to figure out some kind of schedule , for my own mind . I still have to see if each city is a logical place to stop for the day , but the mileage at least gives me an idea .
    Dad's getting a bit concerned about the massive mileage he'll have to hump in order to make the trip , even just getting to MY house is around 700 miles for him .. before we start the trip here in PA . A valid concern . We need to work that out for sure . I don't want that to kill the father/son trip . At this point , I am doing a rte. 66 trip either way , but I want it to be the trip we started planning a few years back .

More on this later ...

Model T1 likes this.
  27. Hope It all works out for you, we have been doing the same thing based on your 250 to 300 MPD average.

28. Special Ed

Special Ed

Very doable. You've got it planned out very well ... ;)

29. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I have heard VERY bad things about Shamrock, in terms of crime and the corruption of local LEO's. I was searching for a motel there and all these threads popped up saying, stay away! For instance,

I stayed in Elk City, pretty nice place.

30. Make a note, take the freeway around Shamrock.