Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Happy Birthday Larry Shinoda

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Happy Birthday Larry Shinoda

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Bitchen57F100, Hnstray and 302GMC like this.
  2. flamingokid

flamingokid

悪いお尻
    Warui o shiri

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you hurt your what?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I had the great opportunity to visit a few days with Larry at a show. He was the real deal - total car guy. He told me some amazing stories from his work with Goodyear, Penske (he was not a fan), Ford and more. Not arrogant, but supremely self confident guy. But he did more than most guys will ever do in auto world.

Jive-Bomber likes this.

5. Nobey

Nobey

Nice tribute to Mr. Shinoda, Jive- Bomber. Didn't I read somewhere that
    he had Harvey Bott's 34 coupe in his collection?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the tribute. I only knew the man by virtue of his work featured in many venues.
    But, by all accounts, he was a very talented guy!

Ray

7. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

In early 1961, he checked to see if there was employment for him at Go Power in Palo Alto, Calif! We made go kart engine parts and wheels, but were moving toward automotive parts and dynamometers. "Calif Bill" Fisher was the President.

The conclusion was that even though he was willing to take a huge pay cut to come to a small "start up" but more fun working environment, it would probably not have worked over time. Too bad, as I think we'd have enjoyed his company!

8. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks Bomber! That pic of him and the roadster p/u says it all. Caption should read, "Wanna Race?"

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I had the good fortune to know him and always enjoyed his stories. I have several "ARTIST PROOFS" of his Corvette drawings.

B:)B

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  10. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

I met Larry when he was hired by Hendrick Motorsports to do the graphics on Tim Richman's Folger's sponsered NASCAR racecar. I told him how much I admired him for designing the Corvette Stingray. He couldn't have been more humble and engaging. He casually mentioned that his former boss at GM Bunkie Knudsen hired him at Ford where he did design work on the Mustang GT of the late 60's and early 70's ad that he also did some contract work at Chrysler as well. He is a truly remarkable man and a very important contributor to American performance cars.

11. seatex

seatex

Awesome post and video, JB. Thank you for passing it along

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Larry was an original, someone we can all remember with pride...he and I had something in common, we both are alumni of Pasadena City College (he way before me).....but he was miles ahead of most hot rodders in his ability to build, design, and retain his humility.....and he was one of many Japanese-Americans in SoCal to get into hot rodding...where they all got respect...during the war when many were either interned or went off to war (often in Italy), their Caucasian hot rod friends would often protect their cars, engines, and tools until the war was over (I say Caucasian because we were all Americans).
    Thanks for posting this, it is great for us to remember someone like Larry (and, by the way, the 3-window in the post later went to Don Montgomery who put fenders and a GMC (later a blown Chrysler) and raced it as a fuel coupe. It was later restored to the version that Larry raced).

catdad49, Clevername and Nobey like this.
  13. KKrod

KKrod

14. Clevername

Clevername

Wow! Cool!

15. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Thanks Jay, that was awesome!

16. Shouldn't that be 'the late' Larry Shinoda?

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

Shinoda named the Boss 302 in honor of his boss,Bunkie Knudsen.Old school cool.....

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shinoda's Coupe is one of my favorite hot rods ever from what I think is my favorite time period in hot rodding. This thing seems simple enough but the details were so great!!

[​IMG]

Bitchen57F100 likes this.