Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Poncho found in barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pontiac, Mar 9, 2015.

1. pontiac

pontiac

Found this 51 Poncho in a barn here in WV. Went and looked at it today, agreed on a price and plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Very solid and straight old car. Straight eight, three on the tree.. was ordered as a police car, but the PD backed out on it and it was sold into the family I'm getting it from. I think it'll clean up nice... plans are to just clean it up, get it safe and enjoy it this summer.

Thought I'd share some pictures

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Great to be the first to work on one

3. seatex

seatex

great score, congrats!

4. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Looks good.

Glad someone had the foresight to keep 'er out of the weather.

5. man....did you guys see that spare ?......good luck and keep us posted.....nice grab !

6. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Oh my! Have fun, it looks great.

7. Just goes to show ya, they're still out there, waiting to be found by the right individual.
    Congratulations on a fantastic score. She's gonna clean up really nicely. :)

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice find, looking forward to it getting back on the street, please be sure to post some updates. looks a lot like my first car, a 1953

9. Good score.I hope the engine turns over for you.Bruce.

10. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Very cool. That interior looks like it will clean up! No mice?

11. pontiac

pontiac

I'm hoping I can get it running without much issue. I was told the engine turned over by hand 2 years ago.

I also didn't see any signs of mice having been in the car. The interior seems to be all leather or some type of vinyl?, and other than some faint cracking in the front seat, it all appears to be in great shape with no rips or tears anywhere.

I'll post more pictures as I get it out of there and clean it up.

12. Wow, that's going to be fun.
    Congrats, can't wait to see how it cleans up.

pontiac likes this.
  13. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

You, sir, suck.;):mad:
    :)

pontiac likes this.
  14. shadams

shadams

Wow....that thing looks great. Makes you wonder why people park those things to just sit like that in the first place...

pontiac likes this.
  15. dudley32

dudley32

that just made me smile...good luck...and post more pics as you progress...

pontiac likes this.
  16. chopped

chopped

How may miles on it?

17. I like those old Pontiacs. I once saw a 49 or 50 convertible that had been stored in an old rotting garage in town since 1959. No one knew the old woman had it in there. When she died they pulled it out but one of her nephews claimed it before I could ask about it.

pontiac likes this.
  18. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Neat I like it. That will be a fun project...

pontiac likes this.
  19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW. that is in fantastic shape. There is a six cyl car on my friends ranch down in S. Tx. it was his uncles, one owner, but it has suffered considerably from decay and gunfire. I couldn't save the tail lights before one of the kids shot it up.

pontiac likes this.
  20. I like these old Poncho's. HRP

pontiac likes this.
  21. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Nice! Time capsule.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. pontiac

pontiac

Thanks for all the feedback...definitely a time capsule for sure. I look forward to getting this one home.

The car has 57,980 miles on it. And according to the state inspection sticker, it had 57,933 miles on it when it was last inspected in June 1979. So only 47 miles were put on it from that date.

A few more pictures...

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  23. pontiac

pontiac

I should have the car home next week sometime. I decided to have it shipped to me as it was actually cheaper than me renting a uhaul to bring it back.

In the mean time... I thought I'd share some pics of what's sitting in the bay next to the Poncho.. A pretty solid 41 GMC. However, this can be a find for someone else in the future.

SAM_0964.jpg SAM_0966.jpg SAM_0967.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  24. pontiac

pontiac

The guy that was supposed to bring the car to me kept putting it off and making excuses, so I just went and got it myself yesterday. Had a rod start knocking in my friends truck about 100 miles from home and ended up having to have two tow trucks take the everything the rest of the way about midnight last night... So, after about 18 hours and and a $750 wrecker bill later, it's all home. Luckily uship refunded me fully what I had paid for the shipping, so that should help a little...still hurts thought haha.

Anyway... here's a couple pics of it home. All of the tires pumped up and are holding air and surprisingly, none of the brakes were stuck. The motor turns over, so it should run with a little work. I'll post some more as I work on it.

51-1.jpg 51-3.jpg 51-4.jpg 52-2.jpg

Model T1, kiwijeff and old1946truck like this.
  25. Road Angels

Road Angels

I have triple A they bailed me out a few times, they will also tow what you bought as long as you don't insist on a time line worth the money, man that is cool a drive as you restore, got to love having your cake and eating it to

26. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Wow, it's nice and clean underneath! Nice dash! Sorry about your uship experience, I wondered how well that worked.

pontiac likes this.
  27. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

View finder, Day/Night mirror, Tissue Holder. Please post a Picture of the Pontiac Head. You scored BIG time unless you paid too much. Congrats!!!

pontiac likes this.
  28. Cleaning this up and going over it would be a lot of fun, take your time and really inspect it. You did real good!

pontiac likes this.
  29. pontiac

pontiac

Triple A would have been nice. It's nice to have a car that needs little to be driven, and then I can just work on it here and there and improve it.

This is the second time I used uship, the first time was a great experience... the man did exactly what he said he would. This time (pennytransporters) gave me run around after run around, promised to pick up within 9 days, never kept in contact. Told him last Friday it had to be gone by Tuesday and was told he would make it happen... I call him 10 AM Tuesday morning (day 13) to make sure everything is still good and he tells me he can't make it (I had to call him to find out). I had no time to find someone else, so I ended up having to make the 300 mile trip. I told him Friday that if he couldn't make it, no hard feelings just let me know and I'll go get it myself. Just sucks I had to find out the way I did the day I had to have it gone by, left me no other options.

Absolutely NO rust at all under this thing. Still has all the original duct-work under it also for the back seat heater, and all the original splash aprons that are usually missing.

I didn't steal this car by no means, however, I feel I got it for what it was worth and I'm very happy with it. It's truly an awesome survivor, even though it's a 4 door. I thought it was kinda neat that it's a standard model with no side trim, and rubber stone shields, but yet has a lot of deluxe optional accessories... even has fender skirts.

indian.jpg

Thanks

Here it is coming out of it's 35 year hibernation.

10568683_797624957011183_750344661_n.jpg
    11096739_797624967011182_2146045815_n.jpg
    11115946_797624977011181_461023086_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Model T1 and kiwijeff like this.
  30. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

This is one optioned out old Ponyiac. Window visors, Spotlight, Mud Grip Tars, and the highly options front chain to pull it with. LOL Please post video when ya giter runnin.

Andamo, pontiac and Model T1 like this.